Register now to get rid of these ads!

How did you get hooked on to old cars ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 30FordNerd, Jan 11, 2013.

1. luke13

luke13

i grew up around hotrodded motorcycles an cars, an i like owning stuff ya can work on ya self, hotrods appealled to me because i like the honest simplicity, brutal torque, an none of the parasitic power thieving & unnessercely overcomplex comforts,the early 80s in new zealand was a goodtime for hotrodding and there were many cars an bikes being hand built because we didnt have credit cards back then an getting stuff from overseas was nearly impossible specaily with near on 90% import tarrifs!, so ya had to modify or scratch build any speed or custom parts ya needed, so we had a lot of clever people doing very clever things in there sheds, an when the credit card arrived (nearly overnight) an destroyed that do it yourself scene, and a lot of the old style buisiness that couldnt compete in the free market, so i was fortunate enough to grow up and see alot of the older cunning ways these guys had of building parts ,and thats what i see in the hamb a bunch of folk using there heads an hands to create stuff ya just cant buy, thats why i got into hotrodding because of the real craftmanship an skill it takes to build one, an my kids love em too.

2. scootrz1

scootrz1
    from usa

when about 14 or 15 used to cruise in brothers 56 vicky but remember riding in friends 37 ford coupe pontiac powered with trips and thats prob what got me hooked wierd i got hooked on Mopars

3. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

It was pretty easy for me to get hooked on old cars when I was young, because they were cheaper, and easier to get. I remember my first old vehicle was a '47 International panel truck, and it cost me $25. The next was a '40 Chevy coupe that I paid $50, and drove it home. Then my '57 Chevy that was a much "newer" car for $500.
    It's a lot harder to get interested in old cars now, as they aren't around at the prices we found in the 60's. I can't even find junk for 100 times what I gave back then!

4. longstory1948gmc

longstory1948gmc
    from n Illinois

I am 15 currently and grew up around my hole family's old cars. My dad has 2 1968 firebirds and put one in storage before he went to college, I went to the storage place when I was 5 with him and drive it home with me in the passengers seat. My grandparents have old cars also one has a 74' vette and the other has a 1927 chevy Capitol that I have got running many times. Now I have a 1948 gmc 3/4 ton that I am currently building and it has a 383 stroker my dad built in the 90s and has about 10 grand into it making around 600hp and 650 ft lbs. I am also doing ifs and more. Me and my friend 2 years ago bought a 63' galaxy, fixed it up and sold it, our next project may be a 51' merc.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. 07032014 (1).jpg It all started here. Models are like the "gateway drug" that leads to the addiction of the real thing.:D

Gary 4T950 Chevy Guy likes this.
  6. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

7. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

I was just borned an old soul.... I've always like the older cars and I don't really think I have anyone to thank, or blame...

8. Started off like most guys on a tricycle - by the time I was a teenager I was buying high octane leaded premium - one thing led to another...I was hooked

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A lot of what guys here see as "old cars" were new and just on display in the showrooms when I got hooked on them. Including riding out of the dealership in Dad's brand new 51 Ford shoebox when I was 4 years old.

10. wsdad

wsdad

I started out liking all fast cars. Lamborghinis, muscle cars, Indy 500, Nascar, Kit cars, and 350 Vegas. I subscribed to many magazines (pre-internet). Car Craft and Hot Rod were among them. They had some hot rods in them. I started noticing that I liked the cars from the thirties better than any others. So I subscribed to Street Rodder, and Rod and Custom.

Old cars are just one part of the all the old machines that fascinate me.

I've always been fascinated by those spinning balls that regulate steam engine speed, old hit and miss stationary engines, our old John Deere Model A Tractor we had when I was a kid, looms, scales that print out a messages, pin ball machines, light bulbs, etc.

Someone had to think all those things up for the first time. I really admire men like Alexander Bell, Benjamin Franklin, Tesla, Watts and countless others. I wish I could go back in time after seeing everything we have invented. Somehow I imagine that if I had lived back then, I would have been able to come up with some of the stuff that we take for granted now. They are so obvious. How could I not think of them? I mean, why did it take us so long to think of engines, airplanes and refrigeration?

Then I am humbled by the realization that I haven't invented anything yet - so I probably wouldn't have back then either.

Maybe that's partly why I want to stuff a big ol' modern engine into an old model T - just to prove that I'm smarter than Mr. Ford because I can make his car go faster then he could.

11. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

My love with cars started out when I was in 5th or 6th grade. A high school kid across the street took the flat head out of his 50 Ford and put it into a 40 Ford pickup. He had 40 deluxe 2 door sedan that he put the hood and grille on the pickup as well. My problem just got worse the older I got