Register now to get rid of these ads!

History How did you find the Hamb?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jul 15, 2015.

1. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Heard about it before I started lurking. Still consider myself a newbie :D

2. Saw it keep popping up in Google search results, decided I ought to join when I got the 55.

3. Was looking at some old Ford parts that a guy in town had. He mentioned the HAMB and told me I should check it out. I've been checking it out almost every day since.

40fordtudor and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

Somebody mentioned it on the Street Rod Stuff website. Lurked here for a year before joining.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

A friend told me about it with a warning that it wasn't for thin skinned folks.

Drunk Man and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. .......................You can say that again (not really) but you are absolutely right. I remember lurking for the longest time trying to come up with an intelligent question that wouldn't get me flamed into eternity or show my lack of knowledge of all things traditional. I finally asked about the water outlet placement evolution of the Ford Flathead and it's affect on cooling. Bruce Lancaster (and others) kindly explained the technical stuff to me without even a semblance of belittlement or humiliation for my inherent lack of wisdom. They treated me so well I haven't been able to shut up now for over 8 years. I'm waiting now for Larry to tell me just to SHUT-UP!:)

LOU WELLS, Merlin, i.rant and 7 others like this.
  7. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

8. fuzzface

fuzzface

I used to be a regular on eBay's motor chat board many years ago and was lurking on a thread when 2 guys were talking about some hokey ass message board that sounded up my alley so I went searching and found it.

When ebay changed their forums, I lost how to get to the regular motors board over there so I haven't been there in about a year or so.

I've been stopped by strangers and/or friends and asked questions about my hamb shirts I wear and have turned a few onto this site and/or met new friends just by wearing them from other members that approach me and say they belong too.

9. SicSpeed

SicSpeed
    from Idaho

About 3 years ago I was telling a machinist friend that I was frustrated with the trends of hot rodding and the custom scene around the country. He told me about the Hamb and after checking the site out I was shocked at the presence of the return to era correct builds. I lurked for the first 2 years and joined when I started building my 56 F100 last year. I learned so much about sheet metal fab that I signed up as an alliance member. I'd encourage everyone to becoming alliance members to keep our community strong by supporting the Hamb. It's the great escape after going to GoodGuys and local shows and looking at hoopdies, danks, donks and Porsche head lights in 40's cars. To tell the truth, I like all that ugly crap as it tells me who has class when it comes to building a car.

10. My intro if it could be found partly tells it. But I can't imagine how anyone would find it. LOL

Ryan and I knew of each other from internet wanderings. I used to have a monthly E-Zine and found the JJ by accident one day while checking out the competition. I liked what I saw and dropped Ryan a note. We began corresponding a little bit. It took me a while to actually find out about the HAMB and at the time I was more of an internet traveler than a message board user.

Fast forward to 2003, the E zine shut down at this point, I had just become disabled and was @ Goodguys KC in an old Galaxie. Ryan and I almost bumped into each other and passed notes via the horn ring. Ryan mentioned the HAMB I cruised over when I got home, and found it and the rest is history. Basically I have been a thorn in his side (and that of others) ever since.

11. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I first read about the Jalopy Journal in Hot Rod DeLuxe issue #2 and thought I need to find it. Being a total computer illiterate, it wasn't to be. Every so often I would get my then 20's somthing son to look it up if a computer with access was nearby. Finally around 2010 ,we got the net...and I've been hunting and pecking ever since. Forever a FNG...thanks Ryan!!!

volvobrynk and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  12. Bowie, FNG is way better then OMG and you haven't given us one of those yet. :D

LOL I just dove in and started posting. I didn't know how to find a thread that I posted on so if I got flamed I wasn't aware. I think I was on here for about 3 months before I figured out the intro thing and intros were pretty important back then. I was actually reading someone else's and welcomed them to the HAMB and said to myself, "Benno maybe you should post an intro" :oops: :D

I do know that some of the people that I respect the most have called me an asshat more then once. I went and found one of them at my first HAMB Drags (not to fight with him) and he stuck his HAMD out and said, " Well porknbeaner glad to meet you." We're still friends to this day. ;)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

was shopping for a good source for deli meats

Merlin, 56don, blowby and 2 others like this.
  14. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Useful.

lol...actually I found it with a Google search when I was trying to ID what turned out to be a 28 Whippet body that I thought might be a Desoto. It still comes up on a lot of my Google searches... still trying to figure out if the latest T tudor body I dragged in is a 26 or a 27 and a Hamb discussion was one of the more informative ones to come up.

15. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

P&B : I don't do OMG...the closest you'll get outta me is a HOLY SHIT! or an occasional FARRROUT!

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

I found it when searching for advise on how big a difference I need to big and little, so that it looks right. And if I can run whitewalls on a white rim.

But never got the answer, run blackwall in the same size and feels happy about that.

But I got totally addicted. I got no friends pre-HAMB that was in to HAMB friendly cars, but it fills a hole in my soul, and got my new friends on here.

A true life changer!

binger, gas & guns, traffic61 and 3 others like this.
  17. I don't doubt that I have at least given you a raised eyebrow or two. o_O There are some newer members that I wish would go away and I don't doubt that there are a few that think the same about me. never the less you don't fall into the please go away category here. At least not with me and I don't like anybody. :)

18. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PNB: Naw, you've never raised mine, I've been rode hard and put away wet as often as not since back in the Freewheelin' Franklin days! I consider you one of the funnist guys on here. Oh yeah, Volvo: DON'T run WW's on white wheels and I'd go 8.20's and 5.60's ifn ya got the room.

volvobrynk likes this.
  19. You and me both. ;)

20. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PNB: See above EDIT, I type really slow!

21. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

A dude with the handle "Old Dragger" kept posting pictures and links the HAMB on the Spotlight Hobbies model car board. I wondered over and realized old hot rod nirvana existed online. I lurked for a while, feeling like the snot nosed kid on his bike, looking in the garage door at the old guys building a gasser.
    Now I visit multiple times a day.
    I pimp this site as much as I can to non-believers. I don't know if I have been able to convince anyone to join yet. if not, their loss baby.

22. HAMB was written on the wall above the piss trough at the Re-Bar in Seattle...

23. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Stumbled in around 2000 or so, walked right in and asked if anybody had any 394 parts, promptly got my ass handed to me in public but did get one helpful private message.
    Didn't go back for a year or two, 'think it was Dale Seaholm mentioned the JJ at the first Hotrod-A-Ramma,
    Revisited, and been here since.
    This is the only social media I frequent.
    And like Benno, I don't like people either...
    Well I can tolerate some of you.. if I have to.. ;)

24. LOL its a NW thing. Cougars and ducks think a lot alike. ;) But I'll bet I swim better than you. :D

25. 15 years ago at Christmas when we got the net at home. Found it thru the Autoholics site. That and Big blue car led a lot of us here

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. crazyblindjoe

crazyblindjoe

I came over from the old fordbarn site. I am shy and don't like people either.

27. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I seem to remember surfing Egay for 40 parts and someone mentioned the Hokey Ass Message Board and I couldn't resist. I lurked for about a year, and joined in 2010 when we were close to finishing the car. Did a lousy intro and got my ass handed to me by the "intro police". BTW, whatever happened to them?? Glad to be here--lot of good 40 info on here --lot of good info, period. I try hard not to offend.

28. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

After being forced into retirement. I had too much down time! I used to frequent other sites got tired of the T & A and other BS people like to post on what should be a Hot Rod site. A friend suggested the HAMB I lurked around a couple years trying to figure out how a complete computer illiterate such as myself could figure out how to navigate such a cool site. Well one day I just bit the bullet and dove in. Still making the mistakes FNG's make and learning albeit very slowly! I try not to be the asshole everyone thinks I am.

40fordtudor likes this.
  29. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Like most, I just sort of stumbled onto it while surfing the net. I lurked for quite a while before joining up; back then, the board was pretty "gruff", and I was a little sceptical about it. It has mellowed out, a lot; now the gruff place to be is YellowBullet.Com, primarily a drag racing site. In fact, YB.Com pokes fun at us; just wait until the drag racing bug wears off, and they come crawling over here. I don't know what I'd do if I could't start my day off with HAMB and eggs. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

40fordtudor likes this.
  30. RiffTannen

RiffTannen
    from Chicago

During a haircut my barber and I were chatting about our old cars and he told me about it. Like most others, I lurked for a bit, then joined up to fully participate. It's been a wealth of knowledge for sure.