Register now to get rid of these ads!

how did they trick out the NASCAR Y-blocks back in the day?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slepe67, Mar 2, 2009.

1. If he hadn't claimed that the Y blocks Dominated my reply might have been different. Y blocks did not dominate anything. Except the record for leaking oil. blow by gases low oil pressure and non oiling rockers. I started out with Y blocks in the mid 60,s. And very soon learned the easiest & best performance & relaibility modification you could perform was to swap for a FE.

alanp561 and Boneyard51 like this.
  2. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Here, here! Some folks are a touch too sensitive.

Old wolf, loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  3. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Funny the GM LS is a Y-Block.:oops:

4. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, it's guaranteed that @Old wolf won't ever have one;)

5. sunbeam

sunbeam

Smokey showed up with a lot of stuff they wouldn't let him race.

6. RmK57

RmK57

If Smokey showed up at a race and they wouldn't let him race then it probably had some work done on it that would not pass tech. There was no reason to ban the mystery motor. It was nothing unconventional like the SOHC of the day. The only ban there was by GM itself to not participate in any sanctioned racing events, which they didn't adhere to anyway.

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  7. finn

finn

Yup, the Supercharged Y block was dominating NASCAR in 1957, so they banned it. Much like the 351 Cleveland was dominating NHRA pro Stock a couple of years later, so they gave it a weight penalty, effectively banning it, so the SBC could be competitive.

8. RmK57

RmK57

In all fairness the 426 Hemi was hit weight the biggest weight penalties which made it noncompetitive.
    But yes, the Clevelands had to run heavier in P/S than the GM small block counterparts. Also the T-birds in Nascar in the Mid-80's had to run a different front/ rear spoiler package so the GM cars could be competitive. Bill Elliott really had it going back then and still holds the record for the fastest lap in Nascar history.

9. No, not sensitive... just stating a fact.
    If the thread title had been "Are Y-Blocks any good?", then it would be a different matter and all of our various opinions would be pertinent.

loudbang, Boneyard51 and Old wolf like this.
  10. We to be fair The 348 and 409 chevy and the V6 GMC,s where about the same level of boat anchor as a Y Block ford. A FE isn't a Y block. Not any of the cast iron or internal parts of a Y block will fit a FE.

11. Any Good? Your durn right they where good. They needed work long before the body became shot so they made mechanics lots of money. back in the day we got to fix leaking rear mains. put rings and bearings in them and install overhead oilers. I was small (less than a 100 pounds) so it wasn't very difficult for me to craw under and replace the rear main seals. I still have my rear main seal tools. I havent used them rear main seal puller 001.JPG rear main seal puller 002.JPG rear main seal puller 003.JPG in decades. The timing chains would get very loose because the oil passage would clog and they ran dry. The sludge we scraped out of them turned the gravel at the back of the shop into asphalt.

alanp561 and Boneyard51 like this.
  12. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Yep, the Chebbrainwashed don't like to hear it, but the fix was in with Pro Stock- the Hammys, SOHCs, and Boss 429s got a full half pound/cubic inch weight penalty, and the BBCs and 351Cs got a quarter pound, so Jenkins, the Chebbie crowd favorite, could "win" with the SBC Vega
    https://www.nhra.com/news/2009/history-lesson-book

loudbang and Boneyard51 like this.
  13. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Funny, this thread just goes on and on because one person doesn't like Y-blocks- 15 minutes- up.

loudbang, egads, 62rebel and 3 others like this.
  14. Fordors

Fordors

It’s a long time ago but IIRC the 427 Mystery Motor did run Daytona but there was an issue raised by the Ford teams that it was not a production engine available to any one that wanted one. Bill France agreed and soon Ford was able to purchase one ( or was it two?) and in three months it was shown in a Hot Rod tech article for all to see.
    Smokey might have seen the SOHC 421 but that was Pontiac engineer Malcom McKeller’s creation.

Old wolf likes this.
  15. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Why is it deemed a cardinal sin to let a thread “ wonder” ? Usually the OP gets his answer on the first page! Then things begin to drift...... why is that a problem? Are people not communicating and trading ideas? If the OP still isn’t satisfied with the answers, he can easily bring it back on track by informing folks he hasn’t got his answer to his satisfaction. Just my thoughts!

Bones

16. I think the Mystery engine less that 50 where built. it was a 427 cube. part 409 and some parts similar to a big block chevy.

31hotrodguy likes this.
  17. 62rebel

62rebel

Going just by the title of the thread, the first thing that comes to mind is making sure that the oil stays in the engine and gets to the valve train. Port and polish, balanced reciprocating assembly, better ignition, and correctly jetted carbs. Best oil filter you can find, good pump, and watch your pressures and temperatures. The hell with the bad reputation from way back, that shit is history. Anyone can build a decent engine if they have the desire and ability.

18. Yes its a old thread. I had two of those large base 312 intakes. and I sold both of them for $100 plus shipping. Had them for over 50 years and they became desirable and valuable. Hard to believe I could buy complete Y blocks in the 60 ,s for $25 each. The used head from a FE in the 60,s cost $50. Fe exhaust manifold cost between 10 and 15 dollars. I bought a 60 ford that a large tree had fell on for $10. After I chainsawed the tree away and got the hood open I was overjoyed to see a 352. I sold the engine and trans to a guy that had a pretty 59 htp. He replaced his Y block and was delighted.

alanp561 likes this.
  19. squirrel threw together one in a Edsel he drove in the Lemons Ralley. He figured out the rocker oiling problem was too narrow of a center cam bearing resulting in internal oil leakage.

31hotrodguy and Boneyard51 like this.
  20. jaracer

jaracer

Dual 4 bbl setups were available from Ford in 56 and 57, and yes they had dual teapot Holley's. The manifold was a stock Ford part. I used to belong to a 55-57 TBird club and saw a good number of these setups. You could order it in a full sized Ford also. In late 56 the Paxton supercharger was available with a single teapot.

21. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

I’m guess port and polish was probably not aloud. Remember the OP was asking for the tricks that were used by the NASCAR guys back then. I’ve been following the thread and have heard a lot of great suggestions on how to hot rod a YBlock but I haven’t seen too many that would fall under stock car rules. Although a slightly different world than stock car racing the OP might try his luck over on the JR Stock thread. The JR Stock guys were some of the best when it came to cheating. Granted I wasn’t alive back then but I did grow up with all that stuff sitting around. Plus spent a little bit of time as a kid watching dad and my uncles race roundy poundy cars when the cars were still cool looking. Just a thought. IMG_4571.JPG

Ps, I’m all about when threads take a rabbit trail. The would be pretty boring if they didn’t.
    By the way Does anyone know when NASCAR went to their 4 bl only regulation in 57? I’m guessing after Daytona because Smokey Yunick was still running injection...... which doesn’t help the Ford blown 312 argument much.
    Scott

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Old wolf and Boneyard51 like this.
  22. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And don't forget, on a Y Block, you can jack up the oil pressure just by shimming the relief valve spring. The oil pump was on the outside of the engine.

Boneyard51, loudbang, 62rebel and 2 others like this.
  23. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You could fix a lot of the top end oiling problems on a Y block by chamfering the ends of the offset relief cut in the block and heads for the oil to get to the top. If you didn't have a high speed burr grinder, a rat tail file would work just fine

24. They weren't nascar. However around here there where some winning Y block stock cars. engine bored to the max and mercury stroked cranks. the 283 chevys couldn't do anything with them. then I 62 the 327 came out and That was the end of the Y blocks. One guy ran a 430 MEL and told everyone it was a Y block he did pretty good against the chevys. The local track closed by 1970. and reopened a couple of decades later. When a local gey heard they where gonna reopen. As soo as his wife came home from work. He started stripping her car to build a stock car. He had a pickup so her car fell victim. It was going really well. Large crowds ect. Then one night a 16 year old Catliker kid from the same family as the guy who stripped his wifes car. Felt he was being cheated and ran and hit the track owner (same guy who used to run the 430)in the face and knocked the guys cigar down his throat. The owner a big guy grabbed the teen and started beating on him. And the stands emptied out into the infield. A epic Donnybrook Riot took place . Kinda even between the Catlickers and everyone else. Even women fighting. for almost a hour the fighting raged every cop in the county came and couldn't stop it. They got disarmed and beat up too. That track owner had all the skin beaten from his face. I stood up on a trailer and watched ! It was way too rough for me! after that only a few racers and fans showed up and that track closed for good. I wish I had it on video!

Boneyard51, 31hotrodguy and alanp561 like this.
  25. Old Wolf - I love your posts BUT are you now blaming Y Blocks for MASS RIOTING ?

Inquiring minds want to know ?

Oldmics

26. I agree that sharp 90 degree turn was prone to getting plugged with sludge.

Boneyard51, 31hotrodguy and alanp561 like this.
  27. No Im certain there wasn't a single Y block engine anywhere close. the rioting was simply imbred redneck hillbillys doing what comes naturally. The first settlers here all got land grants for their service in the war of 1812. and there weren't many women. One guy named Jones had 17 daughters and their children for the most part married their cousins. everyone is kin to everyone else and they to this day don't welcome newcomers. The Feud had been brewing for a long time and a smart ass kid set it off. It happened in 1980. I just thought you all would enjoy the tale! Not too many years ago I sold that kid the rear end from a 59 ford wagon. for a stock car. They to this day that entire family still race stock cars. Now their grand children are starting to drive stock cars. The grandfather actually raced Y blocks in the late 50,s and early 60,s.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  28. 31hotrodguy

31hotrodguy

29. Fordors

Fordors

:pCatliker? I gotta ask, it that a Catholic?

Boneyard51 likes this.
  30. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Oh..... for the good old days! When we used to race a while, then fight a while! Racing at its best!

Bones

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    Old wolf and 31hotrodguy like this.