Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How dedicated are we?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by supercharged, May 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just how dedicated are we to preserving the spirit of the original hot rodders?

This site made a bold move to exclude any vehicle post-1963 in an effort to exclude street rods, muscle cars, rat rods and any post-63 hot rod. I certainly respect that and the decisions made by the forum managers. However I just can’t wrap my mind around how we can call any pre-1964 with modern brakes, steering and engine a true hot rod.:confused:
    <O:p</O:p
    If we all agree that the Hot Rods heyday was from 1920 until early 1960s, then the “kids’ back then were using old light weight junkers (pre-“whatever year they built their rod”) and larger more powerful engines of the day in an attempt of self-expression. That would indicate that to be a true Hot Rod it would require NO technology past 1963 and be unique. That would exclude all the mechanical items modern rodders slap on their cars in the name of safety, performance or comfort, and the persistent copycat body and paint styles seen at most hot rod shows.:cool:
    If this is to be a true Hot Rod forum, shouldn’t it preclude any car with post-1963 anything? That would include the pre-1963 Customs as well.
    Honestly I don’t give a rats ass how we define a car worthy for this site – but I am sick to death of the nonstop bitching about car’s that are not true hot rods in the eyes of this forums members. :mad:
    Ryan’s post that defines the body styles acceptable is excellent – however it obviously does not go far enough. Just because you lay a 1940’s body on the frame and powertrain of a modern car does not make it a hot rod – it makes it a poser-vehicle. There was a guy in my area that welded the body of a 1930s Ford pickup on the frame of a 1980’s model F-150. It ran and looked like hell, but it was not a hot rod.:rolleyes:
    If we are all going to agree to draw a firm line at 1963 then I think we should at least hold the entire car to that standard. That still leaves a ton of room for individuality and performance<O:p</O:p

2. If you see something that doesn't belong, hit the "report" button so that it gets submitted for moderation. I would also suggest getting more familiar with this;

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.