Register now to get rid of these ads!

How close does a 32 frame conform to an A body REALLY? Can you help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gigantor, May 1, 2011.

1. Gigantor

Gigantor

I have been trying to gather the confidence and skill to fabricate my own 32 style frame for my roadster using similar techniques to some HAMBer tech articles.

Yesterday, a retired welder friend made me an offer I couldn't refuse and offered to help me build it using his equipment in trade for some parts I have.

So now I'm at a point where I need to get serious about making some real measurements and I'm kind of at a loss as to just how CLOSE the 32 frame follows the contours of the A body.

I've seen pictures of them a thousand times, but I'm curious if there was some modification to the 32 frame to make it fit that nice.

I also know that the 32 frame is bobbed at the rear, but by how much?

I have a couple nice diagrams of the 32 frame dimensions in various Tex Smith books for reference but want to make damn sure I know the shape of the finished A-body in relation to the frame.

Why don't I measure my own roadster you might ask? Well, considering the subfloor has been brutally hacked out and none of the panels are really aligned properly, I don't exactly trust the outline of my poor ol' roadster just yet.

I also want to take my buddy up on his offer asap rather than maybe down the road after all the body work is done.

Any tips or info you guys might suggest is very welcome. Thank you. :)

2. Moose documented the process of making a 32 frame fit his Coupe.

3. Greg in Jax

Greg in Jax

The Bishop/Tardel book,How to Build a Traditional Ford Hot Rod, has excellent diagrams with all of the measurements that you are looking for as well as photos of how to make the A body fit the '32 frame. Good luck with your build. Here's an Amazon link. http://www.amazon.com/How-Build-Traditional-Ford-Revised/dp/0760309000

4. billthx138

billthx138

You didn't say if it was a 28-29 or a 30-31, but here are some measurements that will work for both.

Attached Files:

5. Gigantor

Gigantor

Thanks guys, it's a 30. Any idea where I can find Moose's thread?

6. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Moderator "Rocky" would likely know...;)

7. Deadelvis2000

Deadelvis2000
    from Austin, TX

If it hasnt been mentioned already....go to wescott's web site and look under the Technical section. There you will find a detailed diagram of a 32 frame set up for an "A" body. Good luck.