Register now to get rid of these ads!

how can you tell if its a 302 or 351 W?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HotRod60F100, Feb 10, 2006.

  1. HotRod60F100
    Joined: Jul 13, 2004
    Posts: 1,197


    in my daily beater 'a 78 F150'i don't know if its a 302 or a 351W,how can i tell what is what?any help would greatly be appreciated.
  2. VIN number probably tells you.
    Tag on the valve cover is next try.
    Measure the width of the intake, 302 has a shorter deck height which makes the intake narrower than the 351.
    Last try is check the firing order. 351 and HO 302 use the same, all the rest of the small blocks have the standard 302 firing order. The order is probably stamped on the intake.
    Or post a picture of the front of the engine showing the intake and I will tell you by looking at it if it is a 351 or not.
  3. steevil
    Joined: Feb 18, 2004
    Posts: 676


    just to the right of the distributer..there will be a rib cast into the block from the intake mounting surface to the distributer mounting deck.

    If it has this extra rib, it is a 351.

    A 302 does not have this rib
  4. Flat Ernie
    Joined: Jun 5, 2002
    Posts: 8,410

    Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

    I'd do as mentioned earlier - look for the v/c sticker, decode the vin, look at the intake (don't have measurements, but 5" & 7" sound familiar - I may be thinking of the bellhousing bolts for 429/460 vs SBF though)

    If I recall correctly the 302/351 is cast into the head in the valve area - you might be able to pull a cover & check - but I may be imagining this from too many beers!:D

  5. George
    Joined: Jan 1, 2005
    Posts: 7,335


    seems to me that 289/302 intake is 7/8" across & 351 is 10" across.
  6. Relic Stew
    Joined: Apr 17, 2005
    Posts: 1,129

    Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

    A 351 intake is about 10" wide at the front bolts a 302 is about 8". Also the hold down bolt for the distributor is level with the intake manifold, on a 351 the intake is about 1" higher.
  7. texoutsider
    Joined: Jul 6, 2005
    Posts: 826

    from Frisco, Tx

    Those trucks could have either in them..but many had the 351M sure. They are different from the standard 351W.
  8. tomslik
    Joined: Mar 3, 2001
    Posts: 2,162


    easier yet, if you can get at the lower t'stat housing bolt, it's a 351.
    289/302 suck to get at.

    btw, if the t'stat housing is NOT on the intake,it's a 351(mod or cleveland)or a 400

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2020 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.