Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How can you alignand measure the acessory pullies?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tlmartin84, Apr 18, 2014.

1. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

I have to make some custom brackets and move some things around.

My question is how can you measure them to make sure they are all in a line, and coplanar?

2. 117harv

117harv

Clamp a piece of flat stock to the face of and or the water or crank pulley.

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I would look at them with my eyes. probably close on eye and make a funny face like Popeye while I was doing it. that's what I would do.

4. Piece of cold rolled round stock or fuel line in the groves , that's about the best way. This will tell you right away if they are off
    Fuck the edges, they don't matter, its where the belt rides that's important.

5. partssaloon

partssaloon

Gates makes a laser tool for alignment of the pulleys that shoots a beam from the center line of one pulley to the next pulley or crank.

6. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

That gates tool is what I need, but dang....... 150.00 bucks!

7. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

hmmm. thanks fellas. After seeing that I think I can adapt a torpedo laser level to work just fine!

8. Lmao ! Lasers

You building a 100 foot building or aligning v grove pulleys ?

9. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I use a shark that shoots a laser beam from his eyes, while smoking a hookah packed with ghost vomit and unicorn turds... its the only way !

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. A piece of bright colored yarn tied around the grooves is easy to tell if it's lined up or not. The wider the better to fill the groove up, to thin and it can move around in the groove and look off center.

11. Dude, I just went thru your build thread. Trust me here, if you can do that you can get your pulleys in line. Awesome job.

12. tlmartin84

tlmartin84
    from WV

Thanks 31!

It is a little more complicated than that though........At the risk of this thread being deleted, I have went to an 8-rib setup belt. Reason being I am running a supercharger on the 300. Not the best choice to run the supercharger off of the accessory belt but since the motor is SO LONG, I don't have much other choice.

I have some friends doing it on the 6 rib belts on there mustangs. They have some slip, but overall it works pretty decent. I am hoping a good quality 8 rib and some well thought out placed idlers will help to eliminate it.

That is why it is pretty critical that I have super tight tolerances on the belt. The Gates tool is precisely what I need.........but like I said I think I can make a torpedo laser level work off of the front of the harmonic balancer and simply measure back to a particular groove on the pulleys.

A bar clamped to it would work, but I would have to have some spacers and it would just be cumbersome.

13. Ok, you didn't mention that 8 rib thing.
    Now you want a smaller rod than 3/8" probably 1/16" welding /tig rod to lay in the grooves, it will be much easier to eye ball and to measure. However you do it I have faith that you'll get it.