Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures How can Steve Bolander afford a 1958 Impala custom?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jazzfidelity, Nov 23, 2011.

1. Well I had a (friend?) who in 61 at age 15 1/2 was given a 58 White Bel Air and he took it to TJ and had it tucked and rolled in white, was a real hit in high school and a real pain in the ass, his folks bought it for him and he wouldn't even take the garbage out for them.......at 16 they bought him a brand new 62 Corvette. His friendship and mine ended when he wouldn't take out the garbage and called his mom some names in front of me, I told him he was a disrespectful asshole and that was the end of our friendship silver spoon and all............

and I think I enjoyed my Flathead 48 more than he ever did his gimme cars

2. He ran around with the pharos and robbed pin ball machines. :rolleyes:

Same way anybody affords anything I guess. he either had some help or earned the money or both.

Pretty damned silly question, I think.

3. S.F.

S.F.

not to mention the "327 chevy with 6 strombergs"

4. quite possibly the stupidest thread of all the stupid threads about this movie... sheeeeesh!!!

5. Not really..I kinda enjoy the discussion as to the movies' accuracy.
    After all...Lucas & Co.seem to have achieved a pretty good level of authenticity when it came to the clothes & the music.

Now...let's resurrect the debate on what Falfa had under the hood of that '55..and how he got his mitts on THAT.

"John Milner? Nobody can beat him!"
    " I ain't nobody, dork"

6. Hot Rod Elvis

Hot Rod Elvis

It's like right now, even though most people drive cars that are from the late 90's till maybe 05', or 06', but there are a select few that drive cars/trucks newer than 08'.

7. Well lets see if it was '62 it could have been a 327 or a W motor. It may have had a hot 301. All of those would have been within reach for the average joe. The 327 was a new motor but you have to remember that in '55 a a teenage kid from the valley showed up at B-ville with a 265 under the hood of his '34 coupe.

Or do we mean really had under the hood it was probably a 396 and he got his hands on it because he was an actor.

8. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Fellow I went to school with , his sister, when she turned 16 her Dad bought her a brand new Corvette, when he turned 16, Daddy bought him a brand new Corvette.
    Dad owned a moving business.

9. I bought my perfect Black '58 Impala 2 Door hardtop from Faith City Motors in Wichita Falls, Texas in 1965 for $650. I was in the Air Force with no rank and less money. 348 Tripower car and it was treated to a set of thin Whitewalls, Baby Moons and a Reverb unit for the radio right away. Remember too that the paint tricks on that car would have easily been done by anyone with a little ambition and masking tape and a gun. I think it would have been done without much pain or money.....

10. P-FITZ98

P-FITZ98
    from Spokane,WA

I know the guy that owns that car noe and he has kept it the way it was in the movie.Bought it cheap in the 70s from the studio or something when he was young.It sat forever and my uncle helped him get it running a few years ago.Hes turned down some big money for it and was smart to keep it movie-original, especially for what he originally paid for it.

11. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Banks were quick to loan money back then, all a kid needed was a sympathetic adult to co sign and you could drive away in a brand new car with no down payment.

Used cars were also cheap. In 1966 I needed a car and a friend's Dad owned a Pontiac/Cadillac dealership. He had a 63 Bonneville convertible for $ 1600, a 57 T Bird for $ 1200, and a Jag XK150 for $ 1100 on the lot. I bought the Bonneville and a girl I dated bought the T Bird. It was sign and drive, we will get you financed later.:) Now I wish I had bought the Jag and stored it away, have you seen what those go for now ! :eek:

Don

12. He was a he bitch man whore!

13. slowmotion

slowmotion

Steve could afford the '58, 'cause the '58 was hot. Yea, that kinda hot. Milner had a connection, unknowingly, with Falfa's brother, Al. Ran Al's Auto & Salvage (front for a chop shop) a few towns over. Al was telling his younger brother about the guy in the hot coupe who came over and picked up the suspect '58 late one night, undercover of darkness. Al's crew had flipped the '58 from cashmire blue, to snowcrest white, in a one night cram-session. The paint was still tacky when Milner picked it up. Milner got it back to his place, and frosted it with 3 rattle cans. Toad was in on it, actually drove the '58 back to Milners that night. Steve fronted the money, $250, from his paper route piggy bank. Which is why Steve tells Toad he can drive the '58 while he's gone. Meanwhile, Al Falfa's ribbin' his little brother about the guy with the coupe that could blow the doors off that heap '55 he's pieced together from Al's junk pile. Hence, Falfa goes lookin' for Milner, and the rest, as they say, is history....

That's the way I heard it anyhow....;)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  14. Energy

Energy

He was a republican, how else!?

15. 32 steel

32 steel

i thank he found in the hamb classifieds and it was a totaled car and then steve and his buddies rebuilt and modified in autobody class in school

16. raidmagic

raidmagic

If that's the case it would have cost about what you could buy a running car for and it wouldn't have a title...have you seen some of the "great deals" FNG's are posting these days.:eek:

17. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

'58 Chevys were not all that popular and maybe his grandpa died and he got the car?
    Just don't over think it after all it's just a movie!

18. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

I was in high school from 1959-1963. My buddy had a custom '52 Chevy in '59, a '57 Chevy Bel Air 301, dual quad, floor shift, positraction, traction masters in '61 and finished high school with a '63 Tempest in '63. It can be done, and it was a lot of fun then. His mom and dad had a lot to do with it.

19. Red Dragon Racing

Red Dragon Racing
    from Indiana

My Dad bought a 62 Bubble Top around '69 for his first car with money he made doing a paper route. Sold that after a year or two and bought a 68 Camaro with money he made as a bag boy at Key Market. It could be done.

20. Hes a crack dealer, and a blood gang leader, he sold a shitload of drugs to get that ride, but the 5.0 is coming down on him so he ditched that shit on toad, now toads doin 20 yrs....

21. creepjohnny

creepjohnny
    from Sunland,CA

My dad had an almost exactly the same car in 1962. When he was going to the army he almost couldn't sell it for $250 in 1965. Much different time.

22. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I bought my first car, '55 Nomad, for $500 in '68. My Dad offered to co-sign for a '65 Vette from a local dealer, $65 down and $65 a month. The insurance company threatened to cancel me if I got the Vette.

23. eppster

eppster

Bought first car in '64 with money earned working at a A and W. '55 Chev, souped up 265, 3 speed with Fenton shifter. From a private owner, $500 bucks. Added chrome wheels for under a $100.00 . If you worked it could be done.

24. Terrible80

Terrible80
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've noticed in many movies and TV shows people never work or pay bills. I want to live there.

25. Wow... Six pages already......

26. BobG

BobG

As far as I'm concerened that movie was real... as about as real as it could be.
    They did everything in that movie that we did when we were young.
    Street Race, Chase Girls, Cruise the streets, Hang out at the Car Hop Drive In's, Get someone to buy liquor for us,

That was the best car movie of all time.

As far as a kid having a fairly new car? There were guys that I went to High School with that had high performance cars that were only a couple of years old.... I remember one of them had a 70 AAR Cuda in 71

27. cavman

cavman

I bought my first '58 impala in '64 for a whopping $80. It wasn't perfect, but like so many collectables of today, it was just a used car then. I went on to own a half dozen more in the next 20 yrs. One of them was an early 60's national record holding drag car. I paid about $150 for that one with a bad clutch. Wish I still had that one.

28. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

That is right, back then a 58 was not popular, example = bought 57 corvette non running in fair shape for $600. 57 chevy's could be had for 200-300.
    i also was getting paid $1.05 per hr

29. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

I remember the days when people hated 58 Chevy's - they were seen as a drastic drop-off in look from the '57. In fact, there are still people who think that. But in general, history has been kind to the lowly 58 Chevy.

I also remember when people couldn't stand Michael Jackson - but dying sure helped his image. I also remember when Queen was considered a lame pop-
    rock band but now people act like they were were top shelf.

I remember when practically any car built after 1972 was considered junk but now we have people polishing up 76 Lagunas like they were 64 Vettes.

30. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

I hitched a ride to school (when my '66 Mustang getting a facelift) with a friend who had a '72 442 in '74. His dad worked two jobs - was a night janitor at our school and owned a local locksmith business and my friend pulled parts for local junkyard.

I cut fence posts ($.90 ea) for the $450 I paid for the Mustang, 289 4-speed. Did paint and body myself in my dad's shed.

Lots of guys pulled it off in 1970's dollars... doubt the sixties were too different.