Register now to get rid of these ads!

How Can I Work like This ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chevyguy469, Dec 5, 2008.

1. chevyguy469

chevyguy469
    from PA

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  2. Maybe you could go to Sam's or Costco and get one of those camopies that people get for swap meets and weedings and such. It won't keep you warm, but at least it might keep the car under cover.
    Here in Texas bad weather isn't as much an issue, you guys get snow!
    Maybe a temporary lean-to out of plywood up against the house?

3. BinderRod

BinderRod

Build a tent or move. What did you have in mind? or is this just a stupid way to try and get your post count up?:eek:

4. f1 fred

f1 fred
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from mn

when concrete work needs to be done outside in winter around here (brick and stone facing) they make a wood frame and drape clear plastic over that and heat that with a portable heater use clear so you keep the daylight and helps with warming up the space not sure your neighbors will dig it but if you cant afford a rental space id give it a try

5. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

ain't snowing yet,,seriously,,most folks I know/have known,,did'nt have a garage and the weather never stopped them. Know A guy who draped an old army tent over the front of his car and worked outside in teh winter,,put a lil kero heater out there,,asking "how" on teh internet?? gonna need to be a lil more creative if yer gonna work on cars

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  6. I believe tents were invented a couple thousand years ago.

(which makes them trad)

7. That's just ignorant!

8. joemarsicano

joemarsicano
    from Palmyra PA

I have one of those tents for sale, PM if your interested.

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I saw a brilliant idea the other day..I also live up here in the cold north..and there is no way Im going to let the freezing weather stop me..but i have an insulated shop..

back to what I saw..this guy put up one of those fabric shelters and used the type of insulation you see in those steel buildings, kinda like tyveck backed insulation. He layed it up on the fabric tent and errected it..he had a propane heater in there and it was very comfortable..its been in the mid 20's here and got down to 16 last night..
    He said it wasnt going to stop him from having a comfortable place to work on things in the winter months.

10. Well since it's a truck I'd think about using the Stake pockets. Let's see, 4 - 5" 2"x2" and a few more across wider than the Truck and a few more that are longer than the truck. Then a roll of the Heavy Black plastic (it's Cheep) and I have a suspended Truck sized Tent. Then an Electric heater can take the Chill off enough to Keep me Happy and dry. Now that's if I were on a Budget with No$$$ to spare. Believe it or Not I have actually done this.
    The Wizzard

11. invizibletouch

invizibletouch
    from Mobile, AL

Building in my driveway as well. Only gets into the 30's & 40's down here but I just wear lot's of warm clothes. :rolleyes:

12. The Hop Walla

The Hop Walla
    from Dallas

Propane heater in a fabric shelter containing a gas powered vehicle may not be the best of ideas.

13. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Rabid Atoms

TRUE....

TRUE....

TRUE...

But It WILL be warm

ONCE !

14. I agree, that's why I say "Electric" And keep it away from the Plastic. Some where along the way Common sense should come into play.

The Wizzard

15. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Maybe you could go to Sam's or Costco and get one of those camopies that people get for swap meets and weedings and such."

You'll have to consider snow load !

16. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

omg,,this is'nt rocket science ,,hell when your car is broke and you NEED it you get outside no matter what and fix it,,,there are about a million ways to over come the weather ,and somedays well,,your just sh@t outta luck,,this thread is pointless

17. Pete1930

Pete1930
    from Boston

I saw a guy used PVC pipe -- set up in an A-frame of sorts. Cover it in thick mil plastic, and build yourself a nice little garage. Probably get it done for all of a couple hundred bucks. A frame makes snow load less of an issue.

Good luck,
    Pete

18. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

people throw away mattresses all the time. Stand a few on end, prop them up around the north, west, and east side with an open southern exposure, hang a cheepo blue plastic tarp over the top and on sunny days work in your shirtsleeves. Less than $20, total. Dress in layers, hiking boots with wool sox, save the money for car hardware, not fluff.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

it wasnt a tiny cramped shelter..there is plenty of fresh air..drafts if you will..the stuff he was working on didnt have fuel..and he wasnt an idiot to go spilling or even having anything flamable in there with him..besides..hes had this thing up for over 7 years..i think if something bad was going to happen it would have already

oh i forgot..the sky is falling:rolleyes:

if you keep talking yourself out of it..why even work on cars..go back and sit on the safe couch in your living room and stay warm

20. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Ive used either the 2 inch stryofoam or some of the reflective insulation with the buble on the back to insulate some make shift ice fishing structures.Works good even down into the minus zero temps up here in the north were we crave outside activitys all year round.Burl.

21. The Hop Walla

The Hop Walla
    from Dallas

I'm in Texas man. We can work on cars in our driveway in December.

22. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

We do it all the time in our garages, why not outside? I don't get that rationale?

23. Hold a bread bag in your hand and light it on fire. If you can still type when you get back from the hospital, ask that question again.

:rolleyes:

24. LEMMING249

LEMMING249

Ya better sell the truck...................

25. smarg

smarg

buld an over sized green house or move to mexico

26. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

build an igloo with a garage door

27. jonny o

jonny o

Work on the car that's in the garage.

28. Dig a fire pit and keep the coals hot then just park over the top of it.

29. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

storage unit - $50 / month

30. jimmyv

jimmyv

Around here you can get a 2 car metal carport for like 600 bucks. I think the metal pole tarp/tent type are a couple hundred bucks.