Register now to get rid of these ads!

How can I tell if my 460 jumped time?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chrisntx, Jun 21, 2010.

1. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Of course there is the obvious answer:
    Take the engine out and take it apart and look at it. haha
    How can it be diagnosed before going to that extreme? Thanks guys

2. I would start by taking the distributor cap off and rocking the crankshaft back and forth to see how sloppy the timing chain is. If you can rotate the crank a few degrees without the rotor moving, it is loose. If you get something like 10+ degrees, that is very loose. If it is very loose and running like crap or not running, check the ignition timing and if it way off, it has jumped. Hopefully you haven't bent any valves and a new chain will fix it

3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I don't know how well this would work with hydralic lifters and it dependes on your cam. But if your TDC mark is correct (Big if) and you remove your valva cover over #1. Bring the piston slowely up on the exhaust stroke. At TDC the intake and exhaust valves should be open the same amount. Exhaust closing intake opening. If the exhaust is still pretty open and the intake just starting to open or still on the seat. It moved. Unlikely.

4. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

Thanks guys
    I was able to get the engine running for a couple of minutes and the timing light shows that TDC is about 3 inches from the pointer