Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How bad is it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Skylaker, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Skylaker

Skylaker
    from San Diego

I've got a 52' Plymouth with a 218 that needs a rebuild, I am currently not working, but have some time to work on the Plymouth and get it back on the road. Limited on on money, can't afford to pay for a full rebuild of the 218. I sought after an engine transplant and found a Dodge 230.

I bought this engine with the thought of cleaning reseal, regasket, paint and tune up install and go.

After getting it home I found out the bad boy wouldn't spin. Poured Marvel mystery oil soaked for a bit and started to work in. After it broke free it would only spin 3/4 turn. Stuck valve was holding up the rest of the engine, Soaked a little more and broke the valve loose but wouldn't bounce back on its own, the valve needed a little help back to the closed position. After drilling out the rusted heads of the 2 exhaust bolts, I found rust buildup in the intake and exhaust ports, Removed the head when I looked at the cylinder walls I noticed a lip on the top ofthe cylinder walls.

The engine was advertised as a "GOOD RUNNING MOTOR" I have spoken to the seller and says this motor doesn't look bad and should run.... After I run a hone in the cylinders and relap the valves.

I did tell him how this is not what I was looking to do with this motor and only bought it, off from what he described.

So my question is how bad is the engine?

Attached Files:

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Several years ago I had a '51 Dodge with a really good running 230. I pulled that to install a 265 cubic inch Chrysler 6. Soon after, I bought a '49 Plymouth with a weak engine. Perfect, I'll put the '51 Dodge 230 in the '49 Plymouth. Time was hard to come by at the moment and I hired a good friend, who was also an excellent mechanic, to do that swap. But first, we agreed, lets pull the head and do a valve job, just to be sure we had no problems down the road.

Well, he pulled the head and called me and said "this engine is well worn, helluva ring ridge in the cylinders. Come down to the shop and take a look". So, I had him overhaul the 230 before putting it in the Plymouth.

The point of this tale is this. Had we not decided to pull the head, the 230 would have went into the Plymouth as is and continued to run just as well as it did in the Doge before it was pulled from there. If you need a decent running engine, clean this one up, remove what carbon and rust you can, maybe lap the valves, put the head back on and run it. Worst that can happen is it uses some oil, but that is relatively cheap and certainly easy to add when low.

Ray

volvobrynk, Stu D Baker and Saxman like this.
  3. I agree with Hnstray. Loosen it up, clean it up, do the valves, button it up and see what you've got. That's the cheapest option. I know from experience these are pretty tough old engines. What have you got to lose except some time and some gaskets? If it doesn't work out, you're not out much and you can always look for another one later on, if you need to. That's my two cents.

4. Skylaker

Skylaker
    from San Diego

Thanks for the advice guys.

So relapping the old valves to their original seats would be ok?

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yes....providing they are not visibly eroded on the angled mating surfaces.

A 'burned' valve face or seat will usually have a conspicuous irregularity or, in more severe cases, have a notch eroded in them.

Ray

6. aaggie

aaggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless a seller can start an engine and you can hear it run consider it a core and pay accordingly.

7. Skylaker

Skylaker
    from San Diego

I don't know what I was thinking..... As a matter of fact I wasn't.
    I didn't even haggle with him. But I was thinking if this motor runs as well as he says it does $350 isn't bad.