Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How Are You Guys Selling Your Parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrGasser, Dec 4, 2015.

1. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

I have been selling old car parts for close to 30 years. For 14 years I sold exclusively on ebay and now I hate ebay and very seldom use it to list anything. I sell exclusivley on the HAMB and the Ford Barn. I dont think I have ever had a bad experience on the HAMB or the Barn. Good pictures and an accurate description are the key in my opinion.
    As many have said ... things dont sell like they used to. Its not hard to figure out!! We who love old traditional hot rods are getting old and there are few younger guys coming behind us with the passion for the same type of cars. Many of us older guys are watching our finances and also have a car or two in the garage already and arent going to buy another unless it is a real deal. It is easier and cheaper to buy a done car as LOTS are for sale. Old guys dont want major projects so parts to complete those projects are not in great demand like they once were (unless they are original 32 Ford parts) People buy cars they relate to and cars they wanted when they were younger but could not afford. Most all of us older guys here on the HAMB have a story about a coupe or roadster or drag car that spawned the hot rod interest when we were young. Its the same deal for the guys who are 30 to 40 years old today but the car in their story is NOT a '32 Ford, it is most likely a '69 Camaro or a 67 Mustang. Nothing stays the same so we HAMB guys just adapt as necessary and keep on doing the best we can with the cars we love to own and work on.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  2. 327Eric

327Eric

I have had good luck with craigslist and ebay in the past, but I live so far out in the sticks it is hard to get people to come out, and shipping is a pain as it is a 45 minute drive to any shipper. I will try swap meets again this year, and sell what's Left to the scrapper. I have to sell my 70 GTO now. Probably going to have to haul it to Pleasanton or Pomona.

3. JerseyHarold

JerseyHarold
    from New Jersey

I'll list in several places at once to get the most exposure. Haven't done a swap meet in years. I use eBay for 'easily shippable' stuff and Craigslist for larger items. I've also had some success on 'make-specific' forums (Buick parts on Buick websites, etc). I just keep listing and eventually stuff goes.

4. blvdbill

blvdbill
    from California

The HAMB works great for me . Ebay only if i'm buying.
    Local craigslist is OK . We also have Woodybay in Sol Cal.

5. hotrodrhp

hotrodrhp
    from Wisconsin

I have used all the above sites to sell and buy parts. Had one bad deal here but the moderator straightened it out in the end.
    Ebay can really be a bitch if you are not careful and the fees are outrageous. Always ship to a confirmed address with a confirmation of delivery. Ebay protects its buyers not the sellers...ask me, I know! Got burned by not having delivery confirmation and even after the buyer left positive feedback thanking me. When I list an item I always throw in a disclaimer for shipping costs shown as being inaccurate and "to be determined at close of auction". Rarely had a problem in that regard . Try to adjust selling prices to cover expenses just like businesses are made to do when the gov't raises their taxes. The consumer always pays in the end not he supplier, simple economics!
    Have had mixed success using Craigslist but I rarely allow anyone to meet me at my home unless it is a large item. Large money exchanges always require additional "back-up" and take place in the light of day in public places. No checks, money grams or bank checks, all can be fraudulent...can't get burned with cash only.

6. KKrod

KKrod

I have been surprised at what I could sell on Craigslist with good pictures and description. Sometimes it may take a couple of months but it eventually sells. But I am in a major metroplex.

Smaller nicer stuff goes on Ebay.

7. slack

slack

Local newspaper classifieds & CL. Ebay? Never again. Still in limbo on a deal 6 mos. later (poor customer service.) Way too much BS for me.

8. NotSoNewKid

NotSoNewKid

I seem to have the best luck with craigslist but since I joined here, I'll probably put all the A parts for sale here first.

9. If they are original parts be sure to use fordbarn also.

Charlie Stephens

10. stronga

stronga

People in the Tri-Five game just don't want used parts. To much new stuff out there and we are getting so old or so rich, we don't work on our cars like we used to 20 years ago. I have a big box of old 57 parts. I have tried, although no to hard, but I can't even give the stuff away. If I were not so lazy, I would like to pull everything out of it hole and see if I could get a dealer to buy it all at one time.

11. junkyard junky

junkyard junky

Hamb and Craigslist for me. I go in spurts of selling stuff. Sell a couple of things close together and they wait a couple of months.

12. bct

bct

My methods are obvious. look below. I find myself answering wanted adds quite a bit. I enjoy helping people with cheap odd ball stuff. Essex hinges and 28 chev axle in the last couple weeks in fact. Paying it forward in a way.

13. 31 steve

31 steve

HAMB Classifieds, and swap meets work great for me. Don't fool with Craigslist and very little on E-bay.