Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage How Are We doing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Me too! Was hard to sort out the quoted text with the old PM system...the new format is nice & clean.

2. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Ditto on this, WAY better than the old system!

3. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I'm adjusting,so must be good for my 72y old butt to work at lest most of the things.

4. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Like a lot of the others here,I`m an O.F. too:p.However,I am learning the new setup pretty easy.Thanks Ryan for a swell home away from home.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Still too white!

6. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

I liked the old format.

- You could click on a persons name and go to their posts much easier or send an PM easier.
    - It was easier to respond to a seller in the classifieds in the old format.
    - The old format had all the parts in it, so if you didn't bump a thread a person could still see what you sold or were selling in the past and contact you about such items. NOW it's all GONE.
    - Please don't ever change the Ford Barn,....leave it alone.

7. The new format and it's features has cut the time I spend each night looking for interesting threads .Pages turn quickly, the only thing I need to work out is the go to first unread post thing.

8. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

I use almost exclusively an iPhone 5 and the app. It's mostly good. Can't find social forums, might be me, never looked at them before.

Only question is about the inline ads for dating services and other crap. If they are making you money, great. But if it all flows to tapatalk then it seems like you might be able to hide around it?

9. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like the speed of this new setup. The old forum took way too much time loading pages. But…..I think the old format looked much more "traditional". Sorry, couldn't help myself. Oh, I guess I like the idea of not being a FNG anymore.

10. thommoina33

thommoina33
    Alliance Member
    from australia
    Staff Member

Yup, all good, i do all my hambing time on the I phone, really dig the update, the drop down page scroll thingy is great, can't ask for more.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really like the new site, it works better and faster on my Macbook at home then it does on the windows based laptop I have on my tool box at work but that is probably a good thing :)
    I wouldnt change anything, but I have yet to use the conversation feature that everyone is complaining about.
    Its way better then the last update and now that the speed is rolling along I think it rocks. Keep up the good work Ryan.

12. KKrod

KKrod

Overall the new HAMB works much better for me. The pictures are posting really clearly and in I believe a larger size. The white color does not bother me as I always have a light on when on the computer. Thanks Ryan and all those involved.

Karl Knecht

13. I think the section that is dedicated to HAMB members that have posted a bizillion times is lame, just like the trophies and likes. That stuff is juvenile. Were grown ass men and women, not tweens.

14. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

I like how easy it is to post pictures and videos..very user friendly.
    The "conversation" feature seems to be tough for some guys..I have no problem with it, but I know for a fact some people are struggling.

15. You mean the "Notable Members" page?

I kinda enjoy starting my day going to some of those folks' profile pages to see what they've commented on.

16. dad-bud

dad-bud

I really like the ability to just Copy and Paste images, be they jpgs or cuts from a pdf doc. The previous system just wasn't friendly at all. I've posted a couple of hundred pics since it changed.
    The new layout took a week to get used to and now seems more natural - the white background hasn't bothered me - as someone pointed out, it's like most emails you get.
    All in all, a positive step forwards.
    Thanks to Ryan and his team for having the number one place I want to come to each day.
    Cheers.

17. I had just mastered the old format so this was hard to get my head around, pretty much got it now and love it except all the photos I had posted before don't show up and that upset me somewhat.
    Overall its damn good. Any chance those pics will come back ? JW

18. Commish

Commish
    from NW Ok

You just described my feelings to a Tee, just had not been able to put it into words. I am one who liked the old format better for that reason, I am just an old crippled up car guy, unable to do anything useful, reading from an old XP box, I am not complaining, just grateful for the resource , fills a lot of hours.

19. ................Sadly though, some of my friends either don't see the red envelope or they're just ignoring me!:(....I did like the old pm system better. When guys are told it's time for a conversation it usually means the wife or girlfriend has a problem with something.:D

Model T1 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. tmfcracing

tmfcracing
    from Sweden

Ryan, I like the new format . As everything new, it take some time getting used to it.
    The only problem I have is that when running the app, it freez so I'll stay with google Crome.

21. Ryan,Please place some attention on the method that you notify a member that he has a "Conversation".We used to get a window open on the screen as soon as we logged on telling us the we had a "PM"..the little red color is not sufficient.

22. I'm not a fan of the white-out but I'll adjust. I'm also not a "ruler" or even a serious builder - however I have been here for a while (insert kewl) and for me it's the cat's whiskers in a world filled with rat-poop.

So Ryan (for what it's worth) THANK YOU for keeping the H.A.M.B. fresh, relevant, educational, and always entertaining. Change sucks but it won't ever stop happening in any venue - as far as getting used to it - give it some time and we'll all need to change again!

I show the non-car guys i work with some of the builds on here and they marvel at the talent pool the H.A.M.B. represents.

I ain't going anywhere - so I'll just deal with it... r~g

Model T1 likes this.
  23. Keep

Keep

Those of you having issues with the text being fuzzy, its most likely the resolution setting on your LCD monitor. If you are using anything other then the native resolution, text will fuzz out due to the pixels not aligning correctly.

Those that are saying the font is to small. CTRL + is your friend this will enlarge your fonts for you. CTRL - will make it smaller if you go to far. Works on IE and Firefox (under windows), not so sure on other browsers as there is no reason to use anything other the firefox.

As for the new format, its cleaner and now seems to be faster. The white is bright, but thats what the brightness button on the laptop is for. I would think one shade darker and you would barely notice the change.

Saxman likes this.
  24. k32t

k32t
    from Hog town

Not use to it yet. It seems great keep up the good work. Thanks.

25. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I liked the change, and now that the new and shinyness has worn off, I still like it. Yeah there are still times I try to do something and get frustrated as hell, but I can usually get it sorted out pretty quickly
    Well done Ryan...

26. YES! EXACTLY! I'm not sure if everyone knows they can control these things.

27. I like the new layout, I have however spoken to people who aren't so keen on it. I do have a few minor annoyances (just things that I feel would make it easier to use the site).

1) conversations: when you have a new message it would be nice to have a better alert. I haven't had a massive problem with it (just taken to checking the top right corner to see if the indicator has lit up) but other people I know don't realise they have a message because most of the page is either red, white or grey and it's hard to recognize a little triangle changing from grey to red.

2) going backwards: when I am finished reading a page and I click the tab at the top of the page, if I have come from the general (hokey ass message board) page and the thread is posted in either of the traditional pages. the link will take me back to the specific page (rather than the general page) or I have to go right back to the forums page.

3) Hovering: When I hover over a thread to get an idea of what it's all about, it takes longer to load than it does to go into the thread and back out again

4) My content: when I am looking back through my posts, it would be nice to have some indication when there are new posts on each particular thread (the old HAMB would highlight them in bold), rather than subscribing to a thread I sometimes just comment on it so I can easily keep tabs on it (I find it more convenient than the subscribe feature).

As far as readability I pretty much exclusively access the HAMB on my PC, running windows 7 and Opera as a web browser or my Samsung Galaxy s4 using the HAMB app and have no problems. keep up the good work.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  28. I've grown comfortable with the new format and agree that picture loading is sooooo much easier.

I would still like to be able to load an entire thread from the index page. Is that something that will ever come back or is it too much of a resource hog?

Just thought of another issue/question. I don't see a way to go to first unread on my Android.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  29. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I've been mostly an app user for the last few months and have found its not too hard to figure out where things are and how to work with the new layout. I was kinda ticked off that all my bb-coded pics disappeared from (at least) one of my threads. I keep all my pics here on my albums to avoid that, but I also found it ain't all that hard to edit and re-add the pics. That and an easier way to find "your threads" with the HAMB app are my only (minor) gripes. Otherwise things are looking and working good in my opinion.

30. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Donnie. I'm not too adventurous. I looked and sure enough it was red. The only problems that I have is learning the new system. It's my fault not yours. I like it! but then I missed it for several months. Nothing more frustrating than a blabber mouth that can't post!! I hope to have my pictures out of hock soon and be able to share again. I'll have to figure out how to post picture then.