Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs How are everyone's Mercury projects coming along?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Jul 14, 2009.

1. 33Master_Eagle

33Master_Eagle

Yes he is, by the way do you have Dave's # the one i have every time i call it say no longer in service. i need to get ahole of him so he can chop my husbands car.

2. PM sent

3. Ouch!

4. Everything's going real well with the 51 Coupe we're building with Keith Sim Metalcraft. I am posting a link here to all 5 parts of the build so far.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=383227 51 Coupe build

As for the 51 mordoor, things have been progressing slowly. Painter's had the car for over 2 months yet and it's still not finished. Found some rust in the inner rockers that needed to be repaired before we could go any further. That should be finished on Tuesday. Then it's time for color based primer, a quick scuff and then he shoots the color. He has taken a lot of photos of the prep and primer work. I'll post some once I get the disc. Here's a link to the 4 door build.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=358545 4 Door build

5. Update from my body guy:

6. How are everyone's projects going?

7. I am trying to decide what to do with the suspension. Bags or not. I had planned to lower it traditionally, but I'm afraid I won't be able to get it in my garage. I have a very steep driveway, and the roads in Colorado SUCK!. I had a pro street chevelle that had 3" between the ground and the exhaust, and it scraped. I don't like the look of the Mercury unless it sits pretty low.

8. 3 inches sounds great.
    Law here in NZ says nothing below 4 inches is road legal...

9. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Hey If anyone needs window clips for your outer stainless trim give me a PM, I make em.

Jerry

10. I'm going for a taildragger stance once the car is painted. I'm thinking of putting some casters under the back like the Hirohata Merc. My only foe in Chicago are speed bumps.

11. maccustom

maccustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have had a chance to replace all 4 floor pans in my 63 Meteor - looks like a pro did it! Used dynaliner on the floor to replace the original foam and tar paper and got the interior back in with 3 pt seat belts front and back. Ready for family cruising when it's done. Still have to clean and paint the underside of the car and I think I will just take it into paint and get it done before I bring it home from the shop.

12. The casters are a good idea.

13. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

Ok guys I need some info. Whats the difference between a 49 and 50 front fender?

14. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

My 54 monty 2 dr ht sits. My job transfered my closer to home but now im working 3 to 11pm and that sucks! Only time to work on it is in the morning,Plus my daughter got MS ( multiple Sclerosis)and ive been taking care of my 2 grandkids. Oh well maybe when i retire in 5 years.

15. Back from the blaster. Not as bad as I feared it would be.
    Hopefully chopped in the next couple weeks
    IMG_1718.jpg IMG_1720.jpg

16. Pass rocker today- cleko's,clamps,vise grips.....still need 10 more hands to hold shit! =SLOW PAINFULL DEATH! at least I got my ass at there!

17. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

Ace-k - Good looking foundation man. What are the plans for it?

Does ANYONE have good pics of 2 door inner rockers? 49-51 of course. Mine are so far gone I can't even use them for a template. Any pics and dimensions would be appreciated.

18. Looks real nice Ace, that is pre-bodywork?

19. OK, so I know im going to get some flack out of this, but a good buddy of mine used 2X5 rectangle steel to make a set of inners on a 49 vert. Worked really nice. trim here, pie cut there, taper this, weld that.

Cut, trimmed, and installed the windshield glass in mine and drove it to work Friday!!!! Shit was I nervous but well worth it. Hoping to take it to Dixie Fried.

20. Yea, that's just bare metal. Nothing has been done body-wise yet. It's been sitting for the last 43 years so no prior repair work. The floors are very solid also, one small spot under the gas pedal will need to be replaced, and the spare tire well. I'd does need new rockers and some other common rust repair.

21. The plans are: Chop the top, nosed, decked, shaved. I'm trying to decide what direction to go with the headlights and taillights. Not sure if I will go with the traditional lowering method or go with bags, but I will add power steering and brakes w/front discs. As far as the motor I would love to go with an old Cadillac or Oldsmobile engine, but I will probably go with a SBC.

22. Your Merc looks extremely clean as a starting point. I'd say for the headlights and taillights, I'd decide what look you are going for. and whether you like a particular time period (50's vs 60's etc)... and go from there.

23. I want it to look like a Merc that could have been built in the 50's. I think the latest year will be the 1957 Cadillac hubcaps. Right now the plan is to french and lower the stock tail lights, or maybe just lower them.
    Merc taillights lowered stock.jpg

I may go with a modified original grill. I like a lot of the original Merc trim pieces.
    merc stock grill.jpg

24. I'm going with a look that I hope is all pre 1957...

-1953 Chrysler taillights (thanks Flamedabone)
    -1951 Hudson fuel filler door
    -1952 Merc style headlights
    -Frenched, shaved, chopped Merc
    -Taildragger look
    -1955 Studebaker hudcaps

25. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Slow just don't have the heart to tackle the beast in this heat.

26. John. Any closer to paint?

27. Paul (the painter) said today:

28. hey john do you have any pics of your car?is it almost done??

freddy

29. HAHA He won't even bring himself to type the word.:D Going with black?

30. Ian: Dark dark blue is my plan :)

Pachalo...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]