Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs How are everyone's Mercury projects coming along?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Jul 14, 2009.

1. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

I've been working on mine almost everyday for about a month. I finished installing the new gas tank and building the trunk floor around it. It looks like an easy job but it was very difficult and time consuming. There are several things to consider when doing the metal work. I am working on the trunk lid now. I had a rusty hinge mount point. I have never seen another car rust there. I was able to locate a trunk that was pretty rusty in other places but the hinge points. I have got it ready to grind down but I haven't had time this week. There are lots of other things I have done to it but I won't bore y'all anymore. Enjoy the pics.

Attached Files:

• 30.JPG
      30.JPG
      File size:
      160.2 KB
      Views:
    • 31.JPG
      31.JPG
      File size:
      241.2 KB
      Views:
    • 32.JPG
      32.JPG
      File size:
      239.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

Drug the 49 home a few months back, took all the interior out, and it has been sitting ever since. Later this month I think I'll proceed with chopping it a few inches to get things rolling.

[​IMG]

3. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

Wow your Merc looks great Bob. Did you supply the metal trim on the doors to Dave?[/QUOTE]

thanks

yes i did supply the inside moldings-----the front door trim is 51 packard 2door and the rear is 51-52 pontiac rear four door.

4. DrHerb

DrHerb
    from Atlanta

Man!?!?! You said what i was gonna say! thats bull shit!
    j/king, but i am in the same boat!

is there a place to buy "re-pop" bumpers? also...who do yall buy the green mountain body panels and stuff from? couldnt find a site or any info, just alot of recommendations.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2009
  5. buckeye_01

buckeye_01

I'm going to PM his number to you. Not sure if he wants is plastered on the net.

6. Ditto.
    Except mine is a baby '49 coupe.

Totally boxed rails with custom X members installed.
    Caddy 500 also.
    XJ6 front clip grafted in now.
    Also Jag independant rear.
    Have installed '70 Chrysler Imperial Bucket seats.
    '80 Caddy tilt/collapse column.
    Just fitting a 130 litre racing fuel tank sunk in trunk.
    Building a new floor in there at same time.
    Have a 90 degree pedal box to mount so I can have a clean firewall.
    Should have a rolling chassis complete soon then it's the big chop.
    Body is amazingly good for it's age.
    Shipped it over here to NZ from Miami.

That's about it for now.

7. Some new pics, 7.15.09:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Wow, looks great John!!!

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is looking pretty slick John. Keep us posted on the progress.
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

10. That bumper I got from you will be put to good use, thanks again!!

The funny thing about primer, is that I look at the car, and go hmmm, I could paint it a creme color... hehe.

Sometimes I have to stop looking at pics, I started thinking about shaving the drip rails but I won't since we fixed one of them.

11. hahaha John I think you need to sequester youself until your car is done or you will drive yourself crazy thinking of all the changes you want to do.

12. Yup yup, true. My wife is sick me of me talking about what color I'm going to paint the car.

Hey that interior trim sure is nice, let me know if you have any more I'm planning to use Dave at some point too.

13. budhaboy

budhaboy

right now, having just taken delivery, and being flat broke, I'm in the pre-aquiring virtually everything stage(I sure hope my Missus starts her job at the Vet soon), I have not much to work with/on just yet, but if'n you dont mind, I'd like to start pickin' your brain soon, as my project was at one point a mo'door like yours - the conversion, along with the chop had been started but not completed(hence my realising I had far more to do than was expected)

JP.

14. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

15. Glen, my opinion on your wagon is (I am no longtime hot rod guy either so it's just my opinion) that I'd chop it, not section it, and I'd change the headlights and get rid of those overhang parts, those little hoods. But I guess it depends on what look you are going for.

16. mikes51

mikes51

Pro Stock John, those pics are great. The door gap on the b pillar photo is really impressive.

So all that front end which is slightly green color had to be pulled forward to match the hood?

You are not running frenched headlights? Looks like like in the photo the headlight rings are not welded on.

17. 00 MACK

00 MACK

This thing is really paying dividends. How awesome !

18. Not sure on how much needed to be pulled forward, I think he's been fixing stuff around there. Not sure on the headlight stuff either, I will check with him.

19. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey John,

Whata 'bout Midnight Blue for a colour choice. A deep, deep blue, almost black, but not quite!

Swankey Devils C.C.
    "Spending A Nation Into Generational Debt Is Not An Act Of Compassion!"

20. Did'nt get much done tonight. I was too busy saving this stuff from the crusher!!!!! That aint no lie, and FREE!!! Bad pics but there is some good stuff in there!! Got done late unloading it all behing my shop, Hiding it from my LOVELY bride!!!!!!

Oh, OOMACK, I got it all from Kelly. I was stoked to get it!
    ETHER

Attached Files:

21. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

is that a grille shell i see in there?

22. UUMMMMMM, yep. 49...

23. I finally got mine over to Dave Pareso's at Backstreet Kustoms. I was going to have someone in Wyoming work on it, but after waiting months with nothing happening I took it to Dave's. Dave is going to chop the top and replace some panels. I still can't decide what to do with the headlights, standard french, or go with something a little more custom. I will probably let Dave decide. Of course my wife and kids are more interested in what color it should be. I also need to decide what to do with the tail lights.

24. My '52 went down the road for the first time a few days ago, went to move it later and found out that "Reverse" in the C4 had packed its bags and left town. Maybe it'll be ready someday.

25. BigO , any pics??

ace-k, Keep use posted

Picking up anouther 51 two door this week, with a few extra big parts an hopefully alot of small!!!

A couple daylight free pics,,,,,,,,

Attached Files:

26. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

My wife's car is slow going I have not touched it will have to soon. Everyone is giving me shit about it.

27. It's fun to pick taillights and stuff, you'll enjoy it. I decided with my car that the exterior would be all 1951 - 1955 stuff.

28. I want very traditional. Dave suggested 56 ford headlights. I'm not sure but if he can pull it off, I'm game. As far as taillights, I'm thinking stock but frenched and lowered.

29. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Im just trying to keep my 51 running. drug it out of the garage the other day and its not wanting to stay running, so i got some fiddle dicking to do. the other 51 is coming along slow.. if it wasn't so damn hot lately id probably drag my ass out there and work a little more...here is a pic of Bobs little project for the merc when the thrill of the new coupe wares off!:eek:

Attached Files: