Register now to get rid of these ads!

How about more motorcycles at HAMB drags next year?

Discussion in 'H.A.M.B. Drag Nationals' started by bulldogcustomchrome, Aug 26, 2012.

1. bulldogcustomchrome

bulldogcustomchrome

I, for one, look forward to seeing it. I felt when starting this thread that most HAMBers would respect the old iron.Thanks for the positive input.I'm anxious to see what you're working on when you're ready to lift your hat.

2. bulldogcustomchrome

bulldogcustomchrome

I like them.They're not the cookie cutter checkbook "choppers" you see these clowns building today.Just because something has a long front end doesn't mean it's a chopper.
    A little off topic but nice to hear the kind words about my pride and joy.

3. recycler

recycler

Nortons kick ass.
    Then again, I pretty much like anything old.

Oh, my group is now building 2 bikes for the hamb drags. One basically a stripped down stocker and a second that's a bit more radical and built from scratch. We should have less than 3 grand in the pair.

4. bulldogcustomchrome

bulldogcustomchrome

I'm with you. You put a new anything next to something old- whether it's restored or rusty- I'll be checking out the old whatever. New stuff has no heart, no character. Just my opinion (but I'm right). How do you guys manage 2 vintage bikes for 3 grand? You're my hero!

5. recycler

recycler

We have a lot of parts hoarders in our group and we are also cheap bastards! We're not heroes unless they are fast and they probably won't be. lol

6. recycler

recycler

Well I guess it's time to let the cat out of the bag. The bikes we are building are a stripped down stock framed 650 BSA and a Honda. Originally we were going to use a 63 Honda Dream 305 with a supercharger and Amal carb on alcohol to fit the 65 year cut off but so much work for one race a year was frustrating and the 305 we found has head gasket sealing issues even when normally aspirated so we decided to use a cb350 and we can run it with the National Vintage Motorcycle Drag Racing Association which has a 1972 cut off. We're still using the blower and Amal carb on alcohol in a custom tube frame. We can run the beezer at the HAMB drags and with the NVMRA .

7. bulldogcustomchrome

bulldogcustomchrome

Looking forward to seeing the BSA.My funds are pretty tight right now, but still hoping I can get something together soon.

8. even when I promoted in the late 60's early 70's car guys didn't want to run at the same time as the bikes unless it was a grudge match which would draw a lot of attention.even had races where one or the other were not allowed at the bike only shows a lot more bikes would show up, only a few would run on a weekly basis.

9. recycler

recycler

I'm not a big fan of mixing bikes and cars on the track myself however I do think a few vintage drag bikes at a nostalgia car drag race is something most hambers can appreciate. It's not like bikes are going to take over or take anything away from the cars. What's the most bikes to ever run at the HAMB drags? 3 or 4? Last 2 years there's only been one and it's a late 70s Triumph Bonnie street bike if I'm not mistaken.

10. i've had 13 bikes in all over the years still have 2 a 67 Norton and a 47 knuckle mixing bikes and cars doesn't bother me, like I stated if it's not a bike only event it isn't likely that many bikes will show so there shouldn't be a problem.

11. Bring'm and run'm if they fit the bill. Hot rods and bikes seem like a natural to me. But what do I know...other than true fans of both don't tend to give a shit what others think.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

12. Up here in the heavenly state of Iowa, we have a mixed show to raise money for Make-A-Wish. It's called Harleys-N-Hot Rods. Doesn't seem to be a problem. Everyone comes together for a good cause, and to have fun.

I've rode my Triumph to the track to turned wrenches on nostalgia top fuel dragsters. They go together like cocaine and waffles.

http://www.harleysnhotrods.com