Register now to get rid of these ads!

Houston Show!!! July 18-20

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nailheadroadster, Jul 16, 2013.

1. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Does anyone plan on going?

[​IMG]

2. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

I'll be there for the day on Saturday but were going for the music. It's not much of a car show is it?

3. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

I dont know if the car show is any good. I was hoping someone could chime in and let me know if it would be worth going to it. Also, is there decent parking for the show since its downtown?

4. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

In my opinion its a show put on to make money and panders to the hipsters and rockabilly types around the heights. They advertise reserved parking for classics but once night rolls around they open it up for everyone and you got drunk yahoo's parking their scions in between your cars. I decided not to go this year because I've had bad experiences before, but some people love it so maybe give it a try.

5. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Thanks for the info. Im new to the area and thats what I was wondering about.

6. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

Welcome to the neighborhood. I'm not to far from Pearland. Keep your eyes peeled for The Burnout Houston, happens October 19 I think at the elks lodge in Houston. Its a fun show, the Texas Hoedown in March out in New Caney is fun too, the Bootleggers have a show on October 12th right in your neighboorhood at Scooters Bar... most of the local clubs show up to ours so it would be a good chance to meet people and the Los Cochino's and Highway Horrors have some really fine rides they usually bring out.

7. El Bricolaje

El Bricolaje

I was at the first Burnout with my dad back in 2009, that was awesome.

8. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did anyone go to this? Washout?

9. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

My wife and I left San Antonio Saturday morning around 9 in our daily driver, drove 3 hours, stopped at Goode Co. for some BBQ in Katy then headed over to the "event".

It did rain quite a bit around lunch time but then cleared up the rest of the day. As predicted, the music was great (only if you like that kind of stuff) and the car show was poor. There were a few real nice cars and a couple of disgusting POS art car / rat rods. I don't think there was much of a criteria or anyone at the gate inspecting cars. The rest were mediocre, beater / daily driver kinda stuff, some even on trailers. Los Cochinos had the nicest cars present.

The "show grounds" were laid out kinda weird. It basically consisted of a parking lot behind Natachee's restaurant that was next door to the Continental Club. The car show, a few vendors, and the early bands were in this fenced off parking lot. Again the day time music was great but there was no seating, no shade and not much else to look at.

I did find a couple cool CDs at Sid's and the food we had at the restaurant for supper was good. I had stayed up late Friday night so I took a nap in my truck for a large portion of the afternoon.

When the "event" moved into the Continental club about 6:30 pm it was still just "OK". The burlesque show was pretty good (clean, classy, and funny) and the music acts were great (again only if you like that kind of stuff).

My wife and I enjoyed the trip overall because we like americana, roots, and rockabilly music. The show promoters seemed happy with the event and stated that it was the largest one to date. It cost me $50 for tickets, and about $150 more in gas, food, drinks, and misc. We got home at 5:30 am. I would probably only go again if there were some very non-local music acts we really want to see.

10. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I didn't bother going because of the rain and because I just dropped about $900 on Michelins for my Suburban. Ouch, but worth it.

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

A bit more advertising would have helped. For some reason, I didn't hear anything about it. I wouldn't have brought my roadster out on the weekend, due to the rain, but some friends in the H-Bomb's would have gone, but again, no idea it was going done.

I went a couple years ago and had a good time. If you got there later in the day, parking's going to suck. It's downtown Houston, right off the rail system. I'm waiting for "Burnout". I've got a MAJOR upgrade coming for my T Bucket. possibly the last thing I do to it other than a possible paint job. Stay tuned.;)

We'll be out at Scooter's for the Bootleggers gig. They have a cool club and some nice rides.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

13. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

Yeah I forgot to mention that after dark the pan handlers came out in full force! They were approaching people and following people down the sidewalks as they left the club.

14. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

Yeah the first time we went we hung out with the cars most of the day and had some intersting characters come through and look at our cars. Mostly wanted to bum cigarettes off people.

15. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Info on both please. I'm looking forward to seeing the T again.

Whatever happened to that get together everyone used to go to in downtown, cars and bikes used to show up at a bar whose name I cannot recall.

16. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

Bootlegger's Flyer attached. Share with your friends. It's not a traditional show, but you will have fun. Most of the cars that show up are pretty legit.

oh... did I mention entry is free?

Attached Files:

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That was the Dark horse, I believe. We stopped going there for a reason I don't know. it was perfect. Some guys still meet up in various spots and there's an on going thread about it. I've missed the last few due to weather and other commitments.

I'm waiting for Burnout Houston. It was great last year and should be this year.

18. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Does anyone know if the date has been set for the Burnout this year?:cool::cool:

19. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

Yes October 19th, the week after our show.

20. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Cool! Looks like I have plans for the 12th and 19th then :)

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The H-Bombs and I are already getting geared for your show! See ya there.

22. It was at Jimmies Ice House before that. I think it fizzled because it was on Sunday. Some guys would rather watch other men in tight pants play with balls than fool around with old cars.

23. The Bootleggers have some cool little shows. As like anywhere, there will be shit-rods, but there will be good ones as well.

24. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Right on thanks,I plan on hitting both of them.:cool:

25. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

26. BootleggerMatt

BootleggerMatt

27. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Any word on where the Burn Out is going to be?

29. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Bump for this coming weekend....