Register now to get rid of these ads!

Houston HAMB'ers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Reverend Bow, May 28, 2005.

1. How many HAMB'ers are stalking around Houston?

Where the hell do you guys find the cars to build?

I want a Track-T or a Lakes Mod to mess with.... but on a budget...

is this possible?

:confused:

2. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

It's possible if you come by my place and pick up a truckload of parts, or two.

I'm in Houston, near Downtown. I've got an overstuffed hobby shop that I never have the time to use. There's a link to a photo of it in my profile.

BTW, there's a roadster show at the Sugarland Town Square on Saturday from 9am-3pm.

3. Damn, I read this too late to make the Roadster show...

Where you at in Houston? You near Downtown too?

I am 290/1960 area and work at Ellington Field...

4. Darwin

Darwin

Geez you guys need to carpool.

5. Why's that?

:confused:

6. 13KustomMachine

13KustomMachine

my names ben, i work at bruce's rod shop in spring, a buddy of our is building a lakes mod right now, he can help you find one im sure...he's at the shop next door to us, you'll see it

7. TP

TP
    from conroe tx

. Jason 's stash is probabley the most complete around here. Jason -do you just lurk now?rev, Jason has every piece you need. TP

8. Darwin

Darwin

9. G Griffin

G Griffin

I'm from Garden Oaks, which used to be the 'burbs when people wanted to leave the Heights and move to the "country"...
    Now I live near Blake, in Cypress...
    Where people from Garden Oaks move when they want to leave "the city" and move out to the "country"...
    I am on Washington Ave. every Friday morning, like clockwork.
    Get my haircut at Raymond's, tacos at El Rey, cruise the backstreets looking for old cars.
    I gotta meet this modernbeat guy...
    G.

10. Cool!

Thanks for the info...

Yep, I am lurking now... I have to put a clutch in my first toy soon... which is an anti-ricer '91 Nissan 240SX... I am going old school inport style with it. :cool:

I have the orginal 4 banger out of the 240SX, which is a KA24DE, DOHC 2.4L [146 ci] that i need to rebuild and strip of all the emissions crap off of. I want to you it in a Track T or a Lakes Mod.

G Bomb...

Where you at in Cypress?

I am on the 290 end of Huffmiester.

11. G Griffin

G Griffin

I'm near Grant and Eldridge.

G.

12. Hell..

You just down the road a bit...

The wife and I do pizza at Napoli's often... [ Jones' and Grant]

13. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

Thanks for the compliment. I've sold off a lot of it in the last few years. Most of the complete cars are gone. I haven't been reduced to a lurker yet. Seems like most of the posts want opinions, which I don't like giving, and the few things I'm experienced in have been covered again, and again, and again.

14. Hell... I want to do some learning...

the modern cars are OK.. but lack much style... I have been playing with my 240SX since I got it used in '98, and I went against the trends for those type of cars back then. I had a guy tell me his rims cost more than my car is worth... I told him "that's your problem, not mine...."

I want to mix modern engine reliablilty [because I have one bought and paid for, except for the rebuild! LOL] with classic old school style.

Yup.. I'd drop a Nissan computer controlled 4-banger in a T, just to get around the emissions BS so I can open the engine up and let it breath. I could care less what the so called "Hot Rod Guys" think..

I just need space and time.

15. G Griffin

G Griffin

Hell Yes!
    Calzones at Napoli are it!
    Del Pueblo across the way rules for Mexican food and 'Ritas.
    G.

16. MBTex

MBTex

18. Darwin

Darwin

I will root around and find Mike's contact number and post it as soon as I can.

19. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

This isn't the guy that Ty's got building a big Hemi and supplying the Pontiac rear end for the LSR car? That guy must have 50 Hemis stored in his back room.

20. Darwin

Darwin

I don't think so. He has a small shop in Stinkadena that he just opened on a full-time basis---good welder, bodyman. Plenty of tin awaiting work but if there are stacks of Hemis I've missed 'em.

21. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

I'm in Rice Military, by memorial park. Just moved there. Drive a 58 Apache. If you see a beatup old chevy truck, black with blood red interior driving around, with old plates, that will be me.

Dreamin' about starting or joining a club to build rods with. Would like to build a coupe some day.

22. BigDdy31

BigDdy31

Yeah, we all have to have a meet and greet sometime.

G: And I think I have bad news...I drove by where El Rey used to be on Shepherd and the lot looked bare, like they had torn it down. Did they move or did I forget what corner it's really on?

23. BigDdy31

BigDdy31

I think this is a guy a buddy of mine introduced me to once. Does he have one wall that's nearly all 4 bolt main SBCs and then a whole bunch more engines in back? Used to a the body shell of a black '57 Chevy HT in the driveway?

24. Lucky Strike

Lucky Strike

Any of you Houston HAMB'ers wanna suggest a place where I can score SBC parts cheep and local. My motor, came on the truck with two different type of heads. So, I nead at least a head, and maybe more. Might just pull the 283 out and drop in a 350 if I can find/build one cheap enough.

25. modernbeat

modernbeat
    from Dallas, TX

That sounds like the guy.

Lucky Strike, one of my pals has a built 327 with lightly worked over Camel Hump heads for sale. It's ready to plug and play.

26. What are the chances of getting a '20's T frame and roadster body around here to do a Track T with...

Where would one start looking for such a thing?

27. InDaShop

InDaShop
    from Houston

I think I recall seeing some stuff along those lines at the Pate Swap meet last month in Ft. Worth. The Delmar swap meet usually brings out a good variety, its up at Sam Houston Race Park (Horse Track on Beltway 8). Not sure when the next one is. The next best thing is hit up the local rod shops, and guys to see if they have a line on one. But the best deals are when you track them down in the country for yourself. Hit people up, that you know, work with, go to school with, etc. Everyone seems to know somebody thats in to cars, or has some "OLD CAR" behind their house or in their barn.

Example: I talked to a guy at a gas station in OK who happened to see some old chevy stuff in the bed of my truck. He points me down some backroads 6 miles to a guy that has '40-59 Chevy trucks, and lots of 'em. Picked up two pieces I was having trouble tracking down, and have layed out a tenative swap for a '58 fleetside bed for my '58. All by just talking to a guy.

28. Mancuso Mayhem

Mancuso Mayhem
    from Houston

I'm at grant and louetta fairwood subdivision... I take eldridge home from work every day ... and I work at 290/1960.. hence the name Mancuso Harley Davidson

29. draider

draider
    from Texas

I think a small houston hamb meet'ngreet would be a great idea

30. Mancuso Mayhem

Mancuso Mayhem
    from Houston

would be great to have a lil meet n greet around Houston somewhere.. I know me and a few guys would roll out to it... Theres also the Live Fast tattoo and car show coming up in 2 weeks ... the weekend of June 9-12th ...

"The car show is open to all traditional style pre-1965 rods, kustoms and old school motorcycles. Emphasis is on homebuilt driven cars not trailer queens"