Register now to get rid of these ads!

House of Kolor question....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flyin'eye, Jan 11, 2004.

1. Can something else be substituted to reduce HOK intercoat clear? I only need to do a small amount, and our local HOK supplier isn't open today. HOK is owned by Valspar, I imagine Valspar 172 would reduce it OK, but I don't want to find out the hard way. Please don't lecture me on mixing brands, I just need to know what will work.......

2. I'm no expert but I was told that the HOK system is only compatible with HOK products.

My cousin is a painter and when I was looking at paints he told me that if I went HOK that I'd need to buy everything HOK.

Stacey

3. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

I used HOK base and flake with non HOK clears and not had any problems. From what I've noticed ove rthe past couple of years, theres almost always some other kind of reducer you can use, it's just figuring out which kind is the problem. Do you have enough material so that you could do a test spray and see what happens?

4. yeah, I guess I should get off my lazy ass and do a test panel. Pro painters ALWAYS say you have to stick with one brand, but I've never had a problem. I just thought maybe someone knew of something else that would work.....

5. lownslow

lownslow

no do not do it .........always stick with 1 brand .....you have been lucky so far...but your luck will run out eventually ........is it really worth fuckin up a job to do it today ????????? get the right stuff ...especially when dealing with house of kolor

6. SwitchBlade327

SwitchBlade327

I woulda loved to used the HOK clear, but there just wasn't any way I could've afforded to use it, it alone was going to cost as much as the base, clear, and flake I bought altogether.

7. Lucky so far? If there is a legitimate reason why you can't mix brands, shouldn't that be a constant? If brand "A" causes a chemical reaction with brand "B", so be it. I just don't beleive that something like this will work most of the time, then cause a nasty reaction the 400th time you try it. I think its bullshit started by the paint companies to get you to buy their shit. Do you think I could reduce Omni with PPG reducer? Same company.......

8. HotRodAV8

HotRodAV8
    from Seattle Wa

I don't know about HOK BUT I have mixed transtar with dupuont no problems many times. I use transtar primers sealers with transtar activators reducers. then I use dupuont centari singal stage with a urathane highgloss activator and matching reducer. You save on foundation cost and then still get the high gloss your after. Let it cure/shrink then cut with 1500 then 2000 and polish out. It will look deep and glossy with out all the big cost still not free but what is?

9. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

If it is a dire emergency to get something done, I don't mind taking a chance on using another product with HOK's paints. But for 98% of my work, I'll stick with their stuff exclusevly. Been painting with HOK for over 25 years, in case you ask!
    For intercoat clear, which is a 'base coat' style clear, not to be used as a topcoat, I would use a reducer for a regular base coat paint, NOT a finish clear reducer. My choice of what I have in my shop would be Dupont Chromabase reducer. Use it in HOK's recommended reduction ratio, not Chroma's. Lacquer thinner is too aggressive, and will lift what's under it. Enamel reducer is not aggressive enough, and is a different chemistry.
    Good luck!

10. tikiranch

tikiranch

Man I mix HOK with PPG all the time and haven't had any problems. When I airbrush on metal I use HOK with PPG reducer to get the paint to flow real nice. Plus, I have learned that by using the PPG you don't get tape marks when taping over graphics. I have been told that I was Krazy by all the paint reps. The thing is I use the shit and they just sell it. You got to try it out before you commit to something on a big job. That's how I did it, try it out if it doesn't work try something else. I have also been using U-Pol clear with HOK hardner and Transstar reducer.....the shit flows out like glass...no buffing needed...How you like that paint reps..I'm a MAD MAN!