Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Houdallie shocks

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by alumcantandthd, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Does anyone have the '32 Ford "front" Houdallie shock mounting hole measurement? Also, what is the arm length, and the offset?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  2. Can anyone ID these shocks for me please? They're suppose to be for a 32' but they do not match up.

Attached Files:

3. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

4. fine29

fine29
    from Des Moines

5. 31Apickup

31Apickup

6. Thank you for your replies.
    That little "triangle" down at the bottom that's stamped on the back side along with a part #, that isn't a Hudson insignia, is it?
    Trying to locate a pr of front Houdallies and arms for my '32. The original holes in my frame don't seem to be matching up, with what years of Houdallies I'm told to look for. Model A, '32 are supposed to be the same (?), but the mounting holes on Model A Houdallies (on ebay) are the same distance apart as what I have in the picture. But as you can plainly see, the OM frame mounting hole spacing isn't the same.
    Just confusing/flustrating,,,,,,,.

7. alchemy

alchemy

Model A and '32 Houdaille shocks are mostly the same, except the body is a 1/4 inch deeper on the '32's. Unless you are a restorer it shouldn't make a difference to you.

8. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

They kinda look like 1935 ford

9. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

Try the Ford Barn.

10. OK, since I'm told repeatedly, and read where Model A and '32 use the same Houdaille shock. (same part #'s) The bolt spacing on them is 3 and 15/16" center to center.

The shock bolt spacing on my original '32 frame is 3 and 3/8". The guy that built the frame, removed frozen Houdallies, gave them to someone as cores. Then bolted in the original holes, a Hurst motor mount. You can see it in the one picture.

So, I can obtain ALL the Model A/32 shocks (sarcasticly) that are for sale, and they are not going to bolt up to my frame.

Questions. Are ALL the original front shock mounting bolt spacing on '32 frames, 3 and 3/8" or 3 and 15/16"
    What are the '33 Houdaille shock mounting bolt spacing? '33 Frame mounting hole spacing?
    Why is my original frame have a different front shock mounting hole spacing difference, than,,,,,,,,,,,,
    other original '32 frames?
    Were there two different Houdaille shocks for '32 Fords?

Good idea on the Ford Barn. See what they say.

Thank you!

11. 48-760

48-760
    from OH

Houdaille did not use the cover with the spring loaded seal until about late 38. Original 32-38 used the packing nut type seal. None of the 32-41 Ford front shocks used the offset hole mounting except 32. It appears these are late post 38 Mfg or Re-Mfg. and appear to fit the 32 or earlier Ford.