Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hotrods running on E85

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Timmy Z, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Timmy Z

Timmy Z

Hey Cats and Kittens. Is anyone out there Hotrods on E-85. Gas is getting out of control and price of it is not coming down anytime soon. I am looking at trying to run E85 in a Vintage Mopar Flathead with a single barrel carb. Will it work? What type of changes will i have to look at doing to carb and internals of my motor?

2. TRuss

TRuss

I'm not trying to sound mean...But there have been several threads about this. One was just last week or so. Try the search. There is a lot of good info in there.

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Some great threads, just search "ethanol" or use google to search jalopyjournal.com for "e85"

Lots of great info, opinions, and advice...

4. Matthimself

Matthimself

Please realize that when a motor is running on e85 you will see about 35% reduction in fuel economy. E85 is about 35% less money than gas so in the end you spent a bunch of money to retune your motor for no savings in cash. The only hotrod application for e85 is big compression or big boost to take advantage of the higher octane of e85.

5. Timmy Z

Timmy Z

Sorry Truss. You didnt sound mean i did try to look up "E85" and nothen came up on the search. Guess i just didnt figure to put in ethanol. My bad. Thank you for correction.

6. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

closer to 20% if you tune a gas engine to run on it... if you actually build the engine to run on E85, or at least something that runs on 93, you'll be getting closer to taking advantage of it....

7. TRuss

TRuss

To be honest I also struggle with the search. I'll either come up with nothing, or four pages of nothing. And there is no need to appologize. Especially to me. I'm still pretty green around here myself.

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC