Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hotrod Batteries

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buford36, Sep 22, 2010.

1. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

I've tried the search, but no luck. Awhile back someone was inquiring about Hotrod small gel cell batteries, and someone replied that the battery in a NAPA battery jump box was the same thing for less money. Anyone remember or can find the post? Thanks, Tom...

2. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

3. TudorJeff

TudorJeff

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never heard of that and I'd be afraid that it might not have the amperage capacity needed for running a rod on a regular basis.
    There are some really small batteries out there for some of these subcompact cars that would work for a rod that didn't have a bunch of accessories though and be less money. You could probably go to the WalMart car battery display with your tape measure if you just want cheap and small.

5. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I presume you are looking to reduce weight? If so, most hot rods are light in the rear and need extra weight for added traction anyhow, so putting a heavier battery back there results in an advantage. Generally speaking.

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Im a fan of a decent sized battery ..lead acid

[​IMG]

With this "Jump Box"..what do you do ? take the battery thats inside it out? or hook into the jump box and use it that way each time?

bet the power source is small, but is it up to the full job of a battery for a car?

sounds interesting..

7. squirrel

squirrel

8. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

In our area we use Interstate take backs. Those are batteries that have been sitting on a shelf somewhere and you can buy really cheap. The 15 dollar batteries have no warranty but might last for a year or two or more. The one year batteries are 30 bucks , one year warranty and I have them in five cars and they have lasted for as long a six years. It's worth looking into

9. buford36

buford36
    from Maine

10. CruZer

CruZer

Check out Performance Distributors for their small battery. I've used them in two different rods and the first one lasted 8 years and I'm on my 4th year with the present one.
    I don't run many accessories but they work fine for me .

11. davedeltadog

davedeltadog

TPI Gauge company sells the Hot Rod battery for $175 + S&H. I bought a similar one from my local Interstate store for around $95 + tax. The thing will spin a 350 small block all day long. I'm using it in my Corvette powered MG TD because it fits in the tool box in the firewall. It measures 3"thick x 7" long x 6 3/4" high.(see pic) If space is a concern, this thing fits the bill, and should last 6 to 8 yeas. Also it doesn't matter how you mount it, you can lay it down or hang it upside down.
    [​IMG]

12. gonzoengineer

gonzoengineer

That is really nicely executed dave.

My car has the battery relocated to the trunk, standard battery size in a cheap 'marine' enclosure from Autozone. I'm not happy with it -- I'd like to move to a smaller gel cell but the battery is brand new. It is one of the lesser screwed up efforts the previous owner undertook during his tenure of ownership. I'll get there eventually and hopefully come up with a solution that is slick as dave's.

13. Lucky3

Lucky3

Most of these "Jump Boxes" use a 900 cca battery and are great for race cars, hot rods, etc. Nice small size but the attachment posts are a little funky. New replacements are <$100.

14. Lucky3

Lucky3

You take it out of the jump box. They are also a deep cycle type battery.
    Cool deal, check it out !!