Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods hot start problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blackanblue, Jul 24, 2022.

1. blackanblue

blackanblue

Just probably more of a opinion question. So its a 350 with a acdelco starter the soleniod is hanging up when hot. Works great in cooler weather, the header collecter is maybe 2 inch from the starter. I know I can use a remote ford solenoid which would eliminate the issue so I'm looking for a quick fix for this stupid hot weather.
    Wrap the collector or wrap the starter

wicarnut likes this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

quality starter wrap easiest - remote Ford Solenoid pretty basic install

wicarnut likes this.
  3. Is the battery grounded to the engine? I've found that helps.

wicarnut and Bob Lowry like this.
  4. bill gruendeman

bill gruendeman

Joker is right wrap it up or a sheet metal shield over the solenoid. I used a shield, cheap and no more hard starting when hot.

5. jaracer

jaracer

I'd check to see what voltage you are getting at the starter when it is hot. You should be within 0.5 volts of battery voltage on the power side and no more than 0.1 volts on the ground. All measurements taken with the starter engaged. I fought my 64 Chevy truck with slow cranking when hot and found I was losing about 2.0 volt on the positive side. The long positive cable looked perfect, but it had high internal resistance. Probably corrosion inside the cable.

ottoman likes this.
  6. SPEC

SPEC

It also helps to put Header wrap around the Header close to the Starter.

7. deucemac

deucemac

I will cover this again. In the mid 70's when I was a mechanic for the Border Patrol in El Centro, we had a fleet of 454 Suburbans that brought truckloads of detainees from Calexico to the detention facility in El Centro. After a 15 or so mile trip in 100 degree heat with air on, the trucks would NOT start again until completely cooled down. Frustrated, I called A/C Delco school in Burbank for a fix. The guy on the phone said to install a Ford starter relay, move all battery and system wiring off the starter solenoid and re install them as would be on a Ford was, on the relay. Then run a starter cable from the relay to the GM solenoid and add a jumper wire from the heavy post on the solenoid to the start terminal on the solenoid. When I questioned him about Ford parts on a GM vehicle, his answer was short and sweet. "Do you want turn cure the problem or not?". So, I did what I was instructed to do. We never had a starting problem after that. Period, even at 115 degrees. I have followed through endless times since on GM starters with no problems after the conversion. I have had friends with big motors and headers with hot start problems who spent big money to no avail. Once they followed my instructions, Voila! hard start cured. Don't bandaid the problem, take the time and Cure the problem forever! I have an OT 68 El Camino that has been in my family for 54 years, with hot rod motors and headers. I converted it in 1985 when I got the car from my father after he suffered a stroke. It's 2022 and I have lived in El Centro and Yuma for several years and never had a no start or the typical groaning moaning starter. The reason to move everything off the starter is that heat and eddy current from the entire electrical system on that single stud, causes the solenoid plunger to swell and bind in the case drawing massive current to engage and fail. The GM guy explained it to me way back when and he was right.

8. I started running Ford solenoids when I had stock cars. I also had a great auto electric guy who built bullet proof starters for me. I never had a hot-start issue even up at 240 on a steaming night. On my Ford, I ran across a battery cable I have had for years. It has a GM stamp on one of the lugs, but it is really heavy. I use that as the hot lead to the main starter lug.

Tow Truck Tom likes this.
  9. Tow Truck Tom

Tow Truck Tom
    from Clayton DE

deucemac, You got it right. This is the cure, I am compelled tho, to share a rare frustrating problem.
    Now is good time. The Ford layout works in a hot compartment, however the solenoids like any electric part can fail.
    When age deteriorates them they will start fine. Fifteen miles later heat can cause a short that sends current to ground.
    The motor dies. It will Crank but, no start, No Go. Later on We can run.
    This occurred on 2 vehicles, a 64 Country Squire. and 78 E-250
    Of course everything else was replaced,
    I mean everything, until the solenoids, which were working, were swapped out.
    [Q
    UOTE="deucemac, post: 14556649, member: 62755"]
    After a 15 or so mile trip in 100 degree heat with air on, the trucks would NOT start until completely cooled down.
    Frustrated, I called A/C Delco school in Burbank for a fix. So, I did what I was instructed to do.
    We never had a starting problem after that. Period, even at 115 degrees.
    I have followed through endless times since on GM starters with no problems after the conversion.
    I have had friends with big motors and headers with hot start problems who spent big money to no avail.
    Once they followed my instructions, Voila! hard start cured.
    Don't bandaid the problem, take the time and Cure the problem forever!
    The GM guy explained it to me way back when and he was right.[/QUOTE]

10. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

I did that starter relay swap years ago on my daily driver 64 El Camino then when the starter finally failed I swapped out to a late model Factory Chevy mini starter and have not had a problem yet and have been using those on customer cars for a few years now too with great results

bobss396 likes this.
  11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Being a Ford guy, I hate seeing the Chevy one wire on Fords, so I can understand you Chevy guys not liking the Ford part on your Chevies. There are other relays that are not “ Ford specific “, but are generic that will work, also. Just look in the parts book. I use to use them all the time on fire trucks, plus they are a little tougher and are rated continuous duty.

Bones