Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods v. Sports Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HealeyRick, Feb 26, 2012.

1. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

You could snap a Bugeye axle shaft like a twig with the original 43 hp, can't imagine how you made it live with a SBC.

2. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I love this car (it's like a much-more-beautiful variation on the Edsel Ford '34 speedster), but it is just crying out for a Duvall windshield.

3. I inherited a Davis Sales brochure - ill have to locate and scan

Poverty leaves an impression

4. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Vettes do it all, Sport, Hot, Custom, Gasser, enough said!

5. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

For all who are interested, the latest July / August edition of Vintage Motorsport Magazine has a really great article on Doane Spencer and all of his sports car exploits. Good readin'.

6. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Second that, Chad did a good job. Gary

7. Steve 38

Steve 38

Here is one that raced in New Zealand during the 1950s and '60s, called the GeeCeeEss Special. One of several locally built specials that combined the attributes of hot rodding and road racing. Its shown here with Ardun heads fitted on a Mercury block, and was later re-powered with a Chrysler Hemi. The car still exists and competes regularly in historic racing, with a Flathead V8.

More info on the car can be seen here: http://www.theroaringseason.com/sho...-Smith-the-GeeCeeEss-and-other-cars-and-boats

On that thread is an old letter from 1971 about the car describing the Ardun heads, in which they're described as "truck heads". We get all teary-eyed when talking about Ardun heads now, but back then they were just a means to become more competitive, and were modified and ground heavily as required, then replaced when no longer competitive enough.

[​IMG]

8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

De de de, de de de, d, d, d... just in December 2012 Street Rodder, p 140: Shop Manual piece on Sports Rods. NICE to see. Gary

9. HealeyRick

HealeyRick
    from Mass.

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Just PERFECT, 4-bars and all. Gary

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I was replaying the El-slick-O BJ promo this AM on Scottsdale and caught a photo of the Ruxton "Alligator" - a car I hadn't been aware of. To me, it's a cool looking sports rod (FWD even if you like that sort of thing), and years ahead of anything done in the 50's, me thinks. Reminds me of a Model A with a bobbed tail and long hood. The Alligator was at Peble Beach and auctioned awhile back. Another one of the flashy, wacko painted Ruxtons was highlighted for sale in yesterday's show. Gary

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  12. <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Is this a &#8220;sports car&#8221; or a &#8220;hot rod&#8221;? A 478 inch injected hemi, 700R4and Corvette suspension squeezed &#8211; and I mean SQUEEZED &#8211; into a &#8217;59 Sprite! Beautifully done and home built to boot. I wonder what top end would be with 2.59 gears!!

http://www.modifiedhealeys.org/Photos/126Marian/Marian.htm
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

13. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

It's both and I bet it's a handful.

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Attached Files:

• 006e.jpg
      006e.jpg
      File size:
      120.5 KB
      Views:
  15. docmike

docmike

I've always thought this body style of MG's was one of the sexiest body styles to ever come out of a car factory. Too bad I'd need a shoe horn to fit my 6'2", 240lbs into one of these. With the wheel and tire combo and the little windshields on this car it kind of makes you "hay, wait a minute...." I bet this little import has surprised a whole bunch of muscle car owners in the past. I think on this car "MG" stands for "My God!!!"

doc

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  16. docmike

docmike

I've always thought this body style of MG's was one of the sexiest body styles to ever come out of a car factory. Too bad I'd need a shoe horn to fit my 6'2", 240lbs into one of these. With the wheel and tire combo and the little windshields on this car it kind of makes you "hay, wait a minuet...." I bet this little import has surprised a whole bunch of muscle car owners in the past. I think on this car "MG" stands for "My God!!!"<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    Doc<o:p></o:p>

17. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

I've got an Alfa engine. an Alfa 5 spd trans, a couple of Webers and some really cool 16X4 vintage wheels, in my shop, that I've been tripping over for a year.... I'm thinkin' about a 50s style Alfa Spl.

mac miller in INDY

Attached Files:

18. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree, Vettes do it all, just very poorly.

Doc.

19. jim32

jim32
    1. Hamb & Eggs

Just saw this 1949 ford this weekend all done in steel! 20171001_111137_001 (2).jpg 20171001_111152_001 (2).jpg

BAD ROD and wraymen like this.
  20. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Very,very interesting... thanx for posting.

This one looks the part to me, too! Robert Hill's early A from Louisville this year. I've just started seeing pix of it and just love it. Gary
    nsra-nats-painless-performance-outdoor-top-100-01.jpg

Bigcheese327 and wraymen like this.
  21. JimSibley

JimSibley

IMG_0199.JPG I'm in the middle of building a 54'healey, 100-4 with all corvette suspension and a 1964 327 and a four speed.

BAD ROD, SicSpeed, slowmotion and 2 others like this.
  22. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

slowmotion, wraymen and tfeverfred like this.
  23. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

heres more

Attached Files:

wraymen likes this.
  24. Post some pics as you go, I like it a bunch. If OT for a thread then PM me a pic when its done.:)

25. JimSibley

JimSibley

I don't know if it's off topic. It's been a hot rod since the late 50s. We even have video of it running at our local drag strip in the 50s. I will send you updates when I get back on it. I have a few cars to finish up.

wraymen and Jimmy B like this.
  26. 32Stoker

32Stoker

I went the opposite direction, from sports cars into hot rods...

27. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim, I asked Ryan last year that same question, as I have a Healey very similar,and he said ,all systems go...

28. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-10-21_9-1-36.png Moonbeam
    upload_2017-10-21_9-1-53.png forgottenfiberglass.com
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/dean-moons-moonbeam.607623/

Hello,

One of the most well known Devin Body Sports Cars was the “Moonbeam” from Dean Moon in the early 60’s. It was a tube chassis inside the Devin Sports Car body. It could be set up for the drags and for Bonneville. Devin had many kit models used by the general public. The stylish body when set up, looked like a Ferrari/Maserati sports car. But, it was a car that most people could afford to build and drive.
    upload_2017-10-21_9-2-51.png upload_2017-10-21_9-3-3.png
    upload_2017-10-21_9-3-15.png Devin Special

Jnaki

Part of my early drag racing films just happened to have footage of one of the fastest Devin Sports cars at Lions Dragstrip, during this time period.
    upload_2017-10-21_9-4-26.png

Devin Body sports car

Sports car drag racing was just as popular as the stock cars as droves of people bought their entry pass, pit passes and raced. They emptied their trunks, some changed tires and some wore helmets, some did not.

“Established for 1960, the SP divisions were created to give racers in both imported and domestic vehicles a chance to race; Sports Car – Domestic featured Corvettes and early Thunderbirds, while Sports Car – Imported would be Porsches, Volkswagens, and their ilk. These were combined into a single group of five Sports Production classes rated on shipping weight to advertised horsepower, and ran in what was then known as the Street Eliminator division.”

sports cars at Lions Dragstrip

Then the transition to modified sports cars

As the years went on, those stock sports cars morphed into specialty sports cars. Then, some stock bodied Corvettes morphed into modifieds leading up to this monster of a sports car:
    upload_2017-10-21_9-6-22.png
    upload_2017-10-21_9-6-35.png 1961

“Big John had purchased a brand-new 1961 model and immediately turned it into “one of the hottest Vettes in history,” as Rod&Custom described it.