Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot rods have feelings too

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by shawnsauto1, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Sad to say, the summer has been so busy with family stuff that I haven't touched my hot rod in over two months. Today is a perfect day to go out and drive all day.
    Well, my hot rod let me know it felt neglected. Started up but soon one carb was spewing fuel. Shut it off and thought lightly tapping it would unstick float needle. Didn't work. Only took a few minutes to pop top off and mess with float.
    It's all good now and I'm back on the road.
    I'll take this as a warning though. Don't neglect driving your hot rods!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Model T1 likes this.
  2. Two months? I can't go two days without driving one of mine! HRP

3. 2935ford

2935ford

Yikes....two months here is almost the entire summer! :)

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Go to the chapel. 3 Hail Henry's will right everything.

5. hotroddonnie

hotroddonnie

Well I tap on the garage door to let mine know I'm home from work.....not sure but I think its happier when I'm home! They get old so fast. HRD

Zapato and Model T1 like this.
  6. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

you...are a mental case

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Model T1

Model T1

And I blamed the crappy fuel! Sorry old cars. I'll try to spend more time with you and less with my wife. But she's gettin old too and usually complains more.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yup. Never said I wasn't.

9. Runnin shine

Runnin shine

Ah, only seems like yesterday she was learning how to do her first burnout. Now she is all grown up and hardly spends anytime with me now, oh daddy's little girls. Hot rods... enjoy'm while you got'm.

"Listen Mr... It ain't broke if I can't fix it"

10. Thanks. I knew someone here would know what to do! Thanks

11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

even if you do not get out on the road need to take time to shine up the shiny parts, etc - everything likes a good rubbing.

12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Great advice. Non-driving days are the time to just look things over. Fluid, plugs, air cleaner, tires, points (for those that have them), all the stuff we take for granted, but will surely leave you on the side of the road.

It was forecast rain today, so I checked out my T Bucket and spent time before the football games polishing aluminum. Thought about "Burn Out", which is a month away.

13. Well I got to burn two tanks today. Feeling better. Not to go back to drooling over Mr. Model T's folding top, dreaming of how many more driving days I'd have with a top like that.

14. I had a similar problem with my stake truck, this past weekend. My garage situation is a little crazy, and it takes a little gymnastics to get one in the "rest" location and have one in the "ready" spot.

After about 2,000 miles, from June and July, I parked the truck until last weekend. When I went to start it, it wouldn't run worth a crap, and would barely idle. It took a total disassembly and cleaning of the carb to get it to run right again.

15. The worst part for me is I've been meaning to get a new pair of carbs from Uncle Max since the spring, since mine are somewhat mismatched. Just haven't gotten around to it.

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Does it count if I drove the 'Bucket through a desert "Haboob" (dust storm of biblical proportions) and now it's carb is pissed 'cause my scoop doesn't have a filter? Nah, didn't think so... Pretty much just make me a dumb ass. Wish I would have had my camera though.

Keep likes this.
  17. I hear those filters restrict airflow. Best you don't have any ;)
    Try Freds suggestion of 3 hail Henry's. Can't be too careful.

18. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I got busy this week too. Hadn't driven the Ol' girl in about 5-6 days. Was sittin at my work bench, surfin the HAMB, looked over and thought, "you know, you could be out driving your hot rod instead of reading about other peoples". Shut the Internet off and went for a 3 hour ride, lol. Summer is too short here in The Motor City for that kind of behavior!