Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hot roding a 322" buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Falkenracing, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Falkenracing

Falkenracing

Hello. I've got a 322 buick engine in my -30 tudor and I'm looking to spice it up a little. Are there any small tips of old school wisdom out there that would be handy?
    It has a 4-barrel intake, lake style headers and not much moore.
    It was originaly a 2-barrel, so compression I would be able to raise by switching to the 4-barre engines headgasket from what I've gatherd. Also later style aluminum rockers are 1.6 ratio instead of 1.5 so thats a good little trick, but what then? Raise compression even further by machining the heads? A little porting? Bigger valves? Are there any easy to fit valvesprings to raise the revlimit of the valvetrain? Ignition upgrade?
    Not looking to build a new engine here, just get the one I've got to be a little more "peppy", If I'm going to spend the big dollars, I will probably swap it out for something with a little better aftermarket support.

don colaps likes this.
  2. BJR

BJR

Go with a Pertronics electronic ignition first. I put one on a 54 Special I used to have, made quite a difference.

3. patterg2003

patterg2003

4. nailed31

nailed31

Upgrading the cam and adjustable pushrods are straight forward. The pertronics electronic ignition is SWEET and if you're all in, pick up a Roto-faze distributor. Check out Hells Gate Hot Rods for cool intake and exhaust kits! The aftermarket support is so small because there is little demand for it. The big engines were made for torque and torque they make!

"Just because you can put tap shoes on an elephant doesn't mean it can dance!"