Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rodding in Hawaii

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Pics uploaded in reference to a quick post made on TJJ.

Enjoy.

Attached Files:

2. the second pick is awsome!

3. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Those tanks are cool....

4. MERG54

MERG54

no matter where you go...there you are...oh and so are the projects just waiting to happen.

thanks for some cool pics.

5. You get off the beaten tourist routes over there and you'll find lots of rusty tin since it's easier to park it somewhere than pay to get it shipped off island. Heavy on the rust being surrounded by salt water. Lots of yard art. We saw an old van once that had the roof stomped on, filled with dirt and used as a big flower garden and took a picture of it. Saw it again several years later and it was half a foot shorter as it rusted into the ground.

Did you take pics of the drag strip?

Dennis

6. Lokepa19

Lokepa19

What island did you visit?

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

We are still on Kauai... The drag strip was closed, but Tardel and I are going to hop the fence and steal some pictures tomorrow...

8. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Hey There Ryan,
    Don't Keith & you get caught hopping fences now or the law will have you both walking fences:eek:. Y'know I left a message for Keith last week for a call back, Tell him that I said hey! and tell Mary I said hi also:) , be safe on your vacation ok. We'll talk ta ya later, btw cools pics, It looks like that 56 was picked over pretty clean:rolleyes:. Don't go hot wiring any tanks now, I don't want to hear about 2 guys from the mainland going for a joyride down a fwy just because they could:D

9. evilgenius

evilgenius

you visited the wrong island, ryan. ;-) if you want to see drags, u can go out to oahu, campbell industrial park near kapolei. hurry though, they're gonna close em soon.

10. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

do they still run beat the Heat nights over there...

11. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Tanks?! Wow!

The only old cars I saw in Maui were driving. No abandoned vintage tin, but LOTS of abandoned new cars on the Road to Hana. The coolest car in Maui is a Model A pheaton taxi. Saw him EVERYWHERE.

When we were on Oahu we saw a few cars too... a hopped up Model A in Waikiki. Sorta OT, but we ended up at a park on the beach. I thought the layout was weird. It was huge but compact. When I got home, I found out it was an airstrip during the war. Awesome.

I love Hawaii.

12. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

Thanks for the pics Ryan!

13. ..while you're there.....

don't forget to do the "WATIKI SNEEKY BETWEEN THE CHEEKY"

14. Wasahawaiianrat

Wasahawaiianrat

What you mean they're gonna close campbell??????? import shit half the time anyway........

Ryan- you guys goin to Oahu or just Kaui?

15. Tall Tom

Tall Tom
    from Austin MN

I've been here in Honolulu for a month and a half and the only "neet" car I've seen was a very nice Blue 67 Chev Tudor hardtop.
    I'll be here till March 31; what are the times for that dragstrip?
    I'm staying at the YWAM base, just north of the University, how do I get there?
    Tom

16. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Great pix!
    I wanna see more of those tanks.

Theo

17. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Check out the surfers on the North Shore between Pipeline and Waimea if you get to Oahu. They used to have about the best old tin around. The hike up to Waimea Falls used to be nice altho I doubt you can still jump off the falls like we used to do...:rolleyes:

Mahalo

18. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

You have (as do most of us here, I suspect) what my wife calls "old car radar." I'll be driving down a country road at sixty and suddenly let up off the gas and say "Was that a '52 Chevy??"

19. 1hotstude

1hotstude

I have dove off that Waimea Falls. Even got a pic of me doing that somewhere....that was back in 1973 though.

20. Joeyd

Joeyd

I love the first pic alot. Are you going to be uploading any more pics at all?

21. rustfarmer

rustfarmer
    from Hawaii

Ryan,
    What evilgenius said about the drag strip at Campbell Industrial is true. Its being shut down. So, you might want to check it out before it goes. If you are on Oahu Feb 11 there is a cruise/show at Wendys Kapolei 6PM. 490 Kamokila Blvd in front of KMart. But you are in Hawaii forget the cars and GOSURF:cool:

later,
    rustfarmer

22. rustfarmer

rustfarmer
    from Hawaii

23. Django

Django
    from Chicago

hahaha, yeah I was ready to trade all my hot rods for a 9' board after 2 weeks...

24. phat rat

phat rat

Rustfarmer, what's the scene on Maui and the Big Island? I'll be there for 2 weeks the end of May into June

25. Wasahawaiianrat

Wasahawaiianrat

what university? UH? just take H-1 out towards Kapolei (spelling???) and just read the signs.......

Farmer- i didn't know it was getting shut down......i know its been getting shittier every year and all the tuners are out there just drifting. Bob Bardo use to run out there since the 60's. Run fast as shit until they told him he needed a seat belt and a cage....he stoped then..... you know him? Blown red 32'. Has a shop down town behind ward center and sports authority across from shell?????

The wendys thing is lame every 1st saturday of the month. Bunch of Gold chainers and lawn chairs. Just go surf, drink, and chase the jap girls around downtown......

26. Wasahawaiianrat

Wasahawaiianrat

Maui is only good fourth of july.............

27. rustfarmer

rustfarmer
    from Hawaii

phatrat,
    Sorry I don't know what the scene is on the outer islands.
    wasahawaiianrat,
    Yeah, Hawaii Raceway Park is rumored to under March 31. I totally agree with you on the Wendys scene. But, theres not much else here.
    Ryan,
    Are you Surfing yet???? And I forgot to tell you stay away from the Mahu's:eek: :eek: :eek:
    later,
    rustfarmer

28. koachwerks

koachwerks

29. bardahl1

bardahl1

I spent some time at Kaua'i Raceway Park................ it's kinda like gettin thrown back into the old days of drag racing with a few ricers thrown in. But there is some neat chit on the island and the people were friendly and way laid back at the strip. Most of the cars leaned towards the high performance variety, not much early rod stuff, but there were some nice examples of power and craftmanship. I went to work on a late model A/Fuel dragster owned by a crazy Jap named Miles Togioka there in Kekaha. There must have been 300 people there the night we fired it up for the first time in his driveway. When he went to make his pass I had to convince these folks that they really didn't want to sit on the guardrail. The track wasn't as bad as I expected, it ran a 9.60 60' and over 200mph the first night smoking the tires through the lights. I made it back several times to help him with his racecar and to run around with his daughter (those brown girls are a hoot).

Now if only the locals were as friendly in the water......

30. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

looks like one of those WWII amtrack amphibious landing crafts, a dodge scout car (maybe) and an M5 stuart light tank in the one pic... man, those little stuarts are cool. twin flathead cadillac engines, twin hydromatics. weigh like 13 tons, 37 mm gun, top speed of around 45, which is rippin for a WWII tank. cool pics. wanted a tank since i was a little kid. good lord, i wonder what shipping would be...

how bitchin is it that we have "live updates" beamed from hawaii? thanks, ryan. neat stuff.