Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rodders and Bikers.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tfeverfred, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Model T1

Model T1

is there some sort of bond that we share with bikers? YES, Is it because, like bikers, we are indivduals? YES, Is it acknowledging that we both are riding something dangerous? YES.

This thread took several turns along the way. Just shows, in the long run, bikers are hotrodders and the other way around. Along with a few who "don't git it" as there always are with any topic, most members do git it!
    As I mentioned earlier, if ya don't know why bikers and rodders wave----you don't git it! With so many on the roads today, we don't wave at all others. It may not be because we don't like their rod or bike, or how they are dressed, it's just not possible or practical.
    And if you are one of the few who reads then comments about closing a thread, you not only don't get it, you don't have a clue and are not really here to share the true spirit of rodders. Find a thread you enjoy and read it.

I'm proud to be among real rodders and bikers who enjoy sharing and showing their rides, two, three, four, or more wheels.

2. Damnit I left Royal Enfield out of my list of other bikes worth starting.

Kirk,
    Your dirt bike looks like a modern day rendition of a Nesstique. While there are some things that would have to change because it is your bike and not mine it has overall good lines.

I actually wasn't about who has the most at least not on my part, it was to give some eye candy of pre '64 iron for Paul. I think you gave the man something to look at.

Hey quick question is the Pan a copy or an original pan. It is just a question not a judgement.

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

True, would probably have done well at San Jose and Springfield, but are you really going to want to do a development program on a bike that only stands a good chance at two or three races a year? An early Ducati twin and a series of long fast sweepers is a recipe for going to your happy place...:)

4. I think I just came a little, sorry 'bout that. :eek:

5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That is one HELL of a good looking bike, even if it IS a Harley.:D REALLY like the treatment on the cases. Is that powdercoat?

6. KIRK!

KIRK!

yep.

7. Larry T

Larry T

Benno,
    It looks like one of the rare nosecone Pans, but you knew that. ;)
    But I'm not prejudice, I'd give my eye teeth for a new S&S Pan.

8. Don
    I think that the styling was actually doable, yes not an XR but it was a twin carb sporty and I knew sporster riders that would have really liked one.

The price was out of this world on them and that was a killer. I actually knew a guy in San Leandro who bought a used XR cheap enough to freshen it rig up lights and ride it for less that a new sporster/XR clone. I really think that the price did them in.

When I was working in the shop in Belmont the boss bought one for his collection but there was never one on the show room floor. That was before his nose ate his brain and he was still making good decisions.

9. KIRK!

KIRK!

Real Panhead heads (not bolt-on covers), Shovel cases.

10. The problem with a real XR for the street is the lack of a charging system and the finicky mag. Alan Girdler can tell you all about the trails of living with an XR750 street bike.

11. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Okay folks, here's my contribution. Me and a few of my friends at the Goodwood revival 2002 obviously "not getting it" on our pre-65 British Iron. I'm the one with the sunglasses on my BSA.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  12. Well I am MR Panhead and always have been, but I saw a knuck copy at the local gas station and it almost made me cry. Fatbob; wide springer, 18" wheels on both ends bates seat and P pad.

I wonder are the S&S heads outside oilers? The very best pan heads ever made were outside oilers. That's what my big incher was running in that pic @ B-Ville.

13. Truckedup

Truckedup

More Truckedup low cost bikes built from a pile of parts.This is a 55 BSA A10 650,very typical 1950's stripped down hot rod Brit bike.10-1 pistons,"357" cam,bigger carb,about 55 HP and 340 pounds.I sold it a few years ago. That 's my 37 Chevy in the background now owned by a another HAMB guy

[​IMG]

14. Thanks, just curious. It is almost impossible to tell these days what is original and what is not at least in a pic. It probably only matters to an old ass like myself.

15. Cerberus

Cerberus

I was into Triumphs for awhile. Had three trumpets at one time. First one was a stock 68 Bonnie. Second one was a low rider. Third was a radical over extended that would beat you to death. Then I went on to a 64 Sportster lowrider, 79 Superglide Shovel Head, and now a built twin cam with a bore & stroke 95 cu in, big valve Screaming Eagle heads with gear drive. Something about the balancing act and forgetting about the world behind you.

Attached Files:

16. Model T1

Model T1

Not sure why you'd say you were "not getting it."? Obviously you were. And there was a good reason you were riding British Iron!
    I remember in a trailer park in Illinois in a single wide mobile home helping my buddy paint his new BSA in the living room. We were getting it. But his wife and the Park owners weren't!;)

17. Tonight I will have to see if I can find some of the Shovster pictures. Yes shovel heads and barrels on Sportster cases- true bad to the bonz hot rod.

Then there are the 2 front cylinder-head iron heads on Sportsters, I just might have to pull out the old stops here boy's.

Watch out fellows, he's a very dangerous man...................

18. I finished assembling a pan motor in the living room of an apartment in a complex that didn't allow bikes. @ 3 in the morning I dropped a head and crushed an ashtray on the coffee table. The manager was in tha apartment above mine and he came down with pizza. He said, "damnit benno if you are going to keep me up, lets eat." :D

Pretty cool old guy. About sun up one of my dirty no good friends came by and picked up his engine. Said, "Cool cold pizza, now I don't have to look for breakfast. Uh who's the old guy?" Pretty cool old guy, he had a smoke with us then paddered off to bed. ;)

19. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

20. KIRK!

KIRK!

21. If you really want to impress me dig out some pics of a 45 magnum. :D

22. Cerberus

Cerberus

I commuted to college for one year on this '64 Sportster. It had a Joe Hunt magneto, Lake fuel injection, no frt brake, rear struts, and springer frt end. It was 80 miles from Redwood City to Berkeley. Exciting times.

Attached Files:

23. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I've heard you can adapt the kickstart parts from an XLCH?? I'm no harley expert by ANY means...

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Woh!! Norvin!! On second thought, is that an Egli?? Photo isnt that crisp, and I dont have my reading glasses, but I dont see any down-tubes.

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I like it! Things are picking up on here. I always wanted to build a psuedo RGS from a pre-unit 650, something like the one with the alloy tank in Pauls pic.

26. Larry T

Larry T

Yep, so are the STD heads (if they're making them now).

And as long as I'm offering eye teeth, I'd take a S&S Knuck too. They run somewhere around 9000.00 a piece, for either of them.

27. Takes sporster parts to make one streetable, from what I understand. The mag is nothing, I ran a Joe Hunt mag for well over 200K and it was not that finicky, the mag on an XR isn't any more finicky than any other mag. Properly built anything can be dependable.

The thing is that any hot rod Harley is going to need constant maintenance, at least any of them from that era. I used to adjust my valves and check my points and timing every week whether I needed to or not. If you are going to run a true race bike on the street it is going to be the same thing. They are a fix and ride proposition. Sure they are not a Gold Wing, but that is the point isn't it.

And me looking for e cheap basket. :eek: May as well bite the bullet and get someone else to build it for me while I'm at it. :D:D

Hey talking about the nose cone pan made me remember a little thing that some of the fellas used to do. Sometimes you would find a Pan or early shovel with a nose cone left case. I guess so you could run the alternator and a battery a eliminator. :rolleyes:

28. Larry T

Larry T

Yea, you can buy STD cases (if they're making them again, they went belly up for a while) or S&S cases that are set up that way. I don't know if that's the best of both worlds or the ultimate poiser. I guess you could run the alternator, hang an oil filter out where the generator was and be ok.

29. I have had that several times driving in my Chrysler. It is just a cool acknowledgement. There is the same thing between Jeep Wrangler drivers.

30. moefuzz

moefuzz

What's the difference between a Harley and a Hoover?
    -Location of the dirt bag.

:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.