Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vernon2, Jul 14, 2021.

  1. Vernon2
    Joined: Nov 19, 2014
    Posts: 57


    If this the wrong place to post this for give me .But have a question.
    How does one register 1930 Model a from NY. to Pa. Thank you .
    dwollam likes this.
  2. stuart in mn
    Joined: Nov 22, 2007
    Posts: 2,044

    stuart in mn

    Jokester and stillrunners like this.
  3. gene-koning
    Joined: Oct 28, 2016
    Posts: 2,620


    A title with numbers on it that match the numbers on the complete car makes things much easier.
    Beyond that, it can get troublesome quickly.
    I'd think your local PA licensing department would be the place to start. If something gets messed up, it could take years to straighten out.
  4. Ask that question to the PA DMV as you may not get a legal answer on the internet.

  5. dwollam
    Joined: Oct 22, 2012
    Posts: 1,557


    Vern told me that the older vehicles in NY are not titled, only registered. So ya get a registration and a bill of sale. New Yorkers, is that correct?

    BTW, yes it is a complete running Model A.

  6. Older cars in NY have a transferable registration seller signs it and it is like a title .
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  7. Mr48chev
    Joined: Dec 28, 2007
    Posts: 30,185


    To add to what Hilo Hotrodder said.
    Along with making sure that the numbers on the registration/title I would make sure that the car had current valid plates with a current sticker. Some states seem to view a currently licensed vehicle in a better light than one that hasn't been licensed lately.
    Also if you do it get a notarized bill of sale for the rig. That takes a few bucks and going to a Notary but In PA that says you bought it legal in NY.

    Still as suggested before go to your dmv and ask before handing out any money. It's a lot better to get told the facts before you spend money than be back on here with a "now what do I do" post.
  8. ffr1222k
    Joined: Nov 5, 2009
    Posts: 1,187


    I am not from New York but I did buy something from New York. It was a 64 Ford Convertible and I got a registration card and a bill of sale. In North Carolina that was all I needed to get a title.

    I bought a 56 Ford from Ga and it was the same way. No title, registration and bill of sale only. It went smoothly too.
  9. catdad49
    Joined: Sep 25, 2005
    Posts: 5,313


    Until 1973, vehicles were sold in N. Y. With a transferable registration. Make sure the numbers match and along with a bill of sale, you should be good to go
  10. Hollywood-East
    Joined: Mar 13, 2008
    Posts: 1,597


    Correct. ∆∆∆
    Actually I believe "73" is the first year of actual title
    catdad49 likes this.
  11. Vernon2
    Joined: Nov 19, 2014
    Posts: 57


    Thank you all for the input on this. I went to a notary office today The bill of sales and the registration sign over to me will work since NY has no title under 1973.Looks like two trips 1 to close the deal and bring back the paper work to get temp. plates so I can drive it home :)

    Thank you all again.
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  12. @Vernon2, listen to what the Notary said as he is the official that will be completing the paperwork.
  13. MeanGene427
    Joined: Dec 15, 2010
    Posts: 1,963

    from Napa

    I bought my 69 Mach1 from my dad in June 1973 in NY, and got the transferable registration, no title

Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2021 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.