Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot Rod V Street Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Xman, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xman

Xman

I'm interested to know what those on the HAMB fell the difference is between a Hot Rod and a Street Rod is. Also the difference between a Hot Rodder and a Street Rodder. I have my thoughts but want yours.

2. Hot rods/Street rods. The line blurs for me. There are all types of builds, and all types of owners. Some like finished, painted and upholstered cars. Others like ground scraping rusted out truck cabs adorned with all manner of pieces, auto related or not. It's personal choice. I consider myself a hot rodder. Have been since I was 13. I don't see why we need labels. We all love cars, building them, and working on them. Just don't call a new Camaro a hot rod!

3. A hot rod has an assortment of tools in the trunk.
    A street rod carries a can of wax, a rag and a California duster in the trunk.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

hotrodharry2, Xman, Paul B and 8 others like this.
  4. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

hot rods look good street rods look like um? whats the word other than "boydster" , crap? um people trying to make a car look like something it shoudlnt be? all that smoothing and weird headlights and 'screens and stuff :(

C. John Stutzer and scotty t like this.

5. I was a teenager once, hooked on Hot Rods.

Then the eighties came, and billet, hideous graphic paint work, pastel hues, kinda looked like the stuff I'd spit up, after my young teenage drinking binges.
    I figured it was all over for me.
    All those cool older Hot Rods seemed to be getting, updated into some weird abominations, and I lost all hope.

Then one day, along came the computer, and I discovered many of those old Hot Rods were still out there, untouched, and some people were even still building cars like that.
    I know the term street rod was used before the eighties, but to me, that's where it began, a whole decade, that I'm glad, is long gone.

6. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

As Dean Lowe said, It's a blurry line in my head. The HAMB seems to define it more as '40s to early '60s style modified cars. If a modification wasn't done (or popular) in that time frame it is probably a Street Rod. Examples would be, hidden hinges, suicide doors on cars that didn't have them, anything electronic, modern suspension, A/C, Power anything. Billet anything especially wheels, rubber band tires, and tweed upholstery

There are some grey areas here as well. (more than 50 Shades) The purists don't consider radial tires, disc brakes automatic transmissions or anything that is trending on current production cars. But, you will see all of these on otherwise HAMB friendly cars.

When I go to cruises or shows, I find cars and trucks of all years and styles worthy to look at. But, I respect the HAMB definition when I'm here.

I'm just enough younger than Dean to believe there is such a thing as a 'Hot Rod Camaro' :p

Xman, C. John Stutzer and Hnstray like this.
  7. To me, a person who builds an extreme "street rod" really likes and wants a brand new car, and is just trying to force an old car into to be one.

All the modern looking upholstery
    [​IMG]
    Raping of old dash boards
    [​IMG]
    Covering of motors
    [​IMG]
    Obsession with cleaning up body lines and modernizing, OCD with fit and finish, electronic crap
    [​IMG]

Chip Foose and Boyd Coddington are/were really talented guys, but to me they are/were just making old cars for monied people who really like new cars, and want just a shot of "old car" in their brand new vinyl and plastic air conditioned computer controlled brand new car coffee.

The line gets blurred when a hot rod just has too much chromed stuff, billet stuff, still "hot" but approaching "street"

Just my opinion. But that and .75 cents might get you a bag of chips.

8. blurred lines.
    12470788863_d98ac7f6b4_c.jpg

C. John Stutzer and kiwijeff like this.
  9. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is a old/endless debate. For me I guess I'm in the Dean Lowe camp. I enjoy looking at ground scrapping cabsters to the high end AMBR. Even early rat rods had some cool ideas, now they've gotten stupid. In the trunk of my sedan I have tools, parts, Mist & Shine, rags but no duster. But I do have a beer cooler!

10. Hot rod parts come from wrecker's yards, swap meets and other blokes sheds.
    Street rod parts come in blister packs hanging on hooks.

11. tikiwagon13

tikiwagon13

You built it - hot rodder
    You bought it - street rodder
    regardless of the car.

C. John Stutzer likes this.
  12. wicarnut

wicarnut

Everyone has their own definition and on the HAMB, it's "Old School" Hot Rod. A few phrase's come to mind. "One man's Junk is another man's Jewel" Wi. Saying, " To each their own said the farmer as he hugged his cow"

Xman and C. John Stutzer like this.
  13. what he said.^^^^

wicarnut likes this.
  14. oj

oj

Its pretty simple once you understand the history of hot rodding. Our predecessors figured out how to build a hot rod decades ago so to build a modern hot rod we don't copy what they did as much as we have to follow a very strict set of rules when we build one. We each interpret the rules different and that leads to the diversity.
    There are no rules to building a street rod.
    So, there you have it. It is far easier to build a street rod, you just make it up as you go along.

C. John Stutzer likes this.
  15. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

REAL HOT RODS: Came from the factory with a headlight bar. They have handles, hinges, caps and rings, lowered and louvers, big-n- littles, loud and lumpy, primer and patina. If it isn’t old steel it isn’t real.

C. John Stutzer and jim snow like this.
  16. Gman0046

Gman0046

Hot Rods to me look like old cars. Lots of Streetrods to me look like fiberglass rocket ships and nothing like like the cars they are supposed to represent. Examples are Coast To Coast 37 Chevy's, Speedstars, OZ cars and that abomination they call a 39 Studebaker pick up truck. Owners of these types of cars have usually paid lots of money to have someone build them and their not called Gold Chainers for nothing.

Gary

clunker likes this.
  17. robracer1

robracer1

My opinion is that Foose and Coddington don't build street rods they build customs like Barris did in the 50's and 60's and if I had a LS engine I would cover it up also, they are ugly and Camaros should be called modern day pony muscle cars.

Flathead Dave likes this.
  18. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Not this shit AGAIN... Come on fellas...

32Stoker, bowie, Paul B and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.