Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Toys

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by rbantique, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

2. pontman

pontman

036.jpg 037.jpg 038.jpg Found this gem at a yard sale...

3. With the original box. Very cool!

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  4. I like the MINB toys. But I also like the rough stuff like your Buick too. Cheap and fun. I made bird houses with a couple of them. lol IMG_0459.JPG 012.jpg Ron...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    Barn Find likes this.
  5. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Check out what I bought at a estate sale today. I actually saw it at the sale Thursday but thought it was too much money. I was driving by the same sale today and thought I'd just stop in to see if they still had it. They did and it was 50% off! I like it!

riviera2.jpg riviera1.jpg riviera3.jpg

6. philo426

philo426

Wen Mac Riv in great shape!

UNCLECHET and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  7. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

Do you have any details about this car? I don't understand Wen Mac as it's a Cox car.

8. philo426

philo426

Oh,Wen Mac was a competitor to Cox.They made a Riv too I believe.

UNCLECHET likes this.
  9. My brother had a Wen Mac Riviera just like that in the same exact color!!

10. 50Fraud

50Fraud

As I recall, Cox made a Riv and a Sting Ray in 1/20(?) scale, each powered by an .049 engine. I never saw either one run, but I imagine they were about as overpowered as any vehicle ever made. I think they're quite rare, as I have only seen 1 or 2 of each in nearly 40 years of collecting (and I worked for Cox for awhile, too).

UNCLECHET likes this.
  11. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I'm glad I went back to get it. When I first saw it I thought it was a dealer type model car. Then I picked it up and thought, whoa!, this thing is heavy. Then I saw the steel chassis and Cox .049 engine. Like I said earlier I just didn't want to part with the money for another dust collector. But the more I thought about it I knew I needed to try to get. Very lucky it was still there. It's really a neat little piece.

12. philo426

philo426

Good move!it is in great shape and quite rare so it is a good thing that you bought it!

UNCLECHET likes this.
  13. That Riviera is a great find. I still have my Cox 65 vette . It has broken body mounts. That was a big problem with them. They were crazy fast and fun. But the hard bodies, couldn't take the punishment. But it is still one of my all time favorite toys! Ron...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    UNCLECHET likes this.
  14. southerncad

southerncad

The Riv looks great...now how about a pic of it doing a big hairy burnout:eek:

UNCLECHET and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  15. A cool old toy gas pump for pedal cars. And a rust bucket I fixed up for one of the grandkids. 093.jpg note gas is 35 cents a Gal. lol

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  16. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

2 of the body mounts are broken on this one also. This car has two guide ferrels so I think it's supposed to go in a straight line. But if you fill the tank up, from what I remember about .049 planes, it's going to go a long time. It's right next to amazing the thing is in as good as shape as it is! I don't think it's been run too much. I'm not planning on running it.

17. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

I think I'm just going to put it on the shelf. I know, I know, it's meant to be run but I don't want to break this 50 odd year old car. It's just too nice.

18. Its your toy. But I would just take the body off when I played with it. You cant hurt that 4o9 lol { .049 } engine, just run it as a dragster, on its tether. My brother had the 57 Chevy, and I had, {have} the 65 Vette . They are a lot of FUN, But that's just me. Did you get for only $40? Ron...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  19. UNCLECHET,

I agree with Ron, that you want to preserve the body and not run it on the chassis, but if the Riviera 1/25 or close, you can put your choice of model car bodies on that chassis with just a little fabrication. Don't know if AMT is still producing their Riv, but there are tons of them out there!

20. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

I always liked this one.

Attached Files:

21. UNCLECHET

UNCLECHET

It wouldn't be out of the question to run it without the body. I hadn't really thought about it. We'll see.

22. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The Cox Riviera and Sting Ray aren't 1/25, they're 1/20. I think it would be tough to stretch a 1/25 body enough to fit.

23. Hmmm- Tamiya, Gunze Sanyo, Entex, and a few other companies have 1/20 kits- might be worth a search!

24. In spite of swearing off yard sales, I was drawn to one Friday. Five bucks scored the Deathmobile! JPEG_20160911_193741_724104666 (1).jpg
    D. Day was the best character in Animal House. This is why. Bio at the end of the movie listed him "Whereabouts unknown''.

25. toml24

toml24

I picked up this T Cohn Superior Service Station off EBAY. It was delivered Saturday. I had this exact model in 1960 at the age of 4-years when Santa brought it on Christmas morning. Now I need a 5-foot display case to put this and a few more items inside.
    1960-T Cohn-RED CORNER-2016-1.jpg

26. pontman

pontman

20160910_114501.jpg
    Thats what I was thinking when I saw this... ANIMAL HOUSE!!!!

T-roaster and chevy57dude like this.
  27. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hot wheels 004.JPG hot wheels 003.JPG hot wheels 002.JPG hot wheels 001.JPG Hey toy guy's. Two questions. 1-what is a fair price to pay for an un-built and complete Hubley '32 Ford roaster kit in the box and a Hubley Indy racer which an older build with a couple of small pieces missing. 2-what is a fair worth of the Hot Wheels in the pictures? Thanks, Gene.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  28. Gene thanks for your post. I hope someone will give you a serious answer to your questions. As for myself, the value of a toy is only what it would be worth to me, to enjoy and be played with. I have the first 16 hot wheels, that I paid $1 each for in 1968. Over the years I've paid big bucks for some of them too. But in the end, if I keep them, they are only worth what I was willing to pay. As cool as they are, they are to new for the HAMB. But for the Hubley kits, they are not very expensive and are pretty cool too. Thanks Ron...
    048.jpg 050.jpg

quick85, Barn Find and alphabet soup like this.
  29. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ron, thanks for the reply. Will take the post down if I need to, not a problem. Wanted to ask about the '32 Hubley. Thinking about buying it for my uncle as a Christmas gift. Think he would really like it as he has a '32. But don't want to over pay either. As for the Hot Wheels. They were left to my wife when her brother passed. Always wanted to know a worth. Thought I would ask about them also. Like I said, I will take the post down if needed. Thanks again, Gene.