Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod terms that are no longer in common usage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adjustablejohnsons, Feb 15, 2011.

1. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

"Put a Chebbie in it"

Proves that brainwashing IS reversible :p

2. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Dumped, as in raked or lowered in the front. Jugs as in carbs. Pots as in carbs. Necker knob as in steering wheel spinner.

3. babbitt beater for a chevy six

4. bobscogin

bobscogin

Blocks are decked, heads are milled, at least that's the terminology I learned. Your mileage may vary.

Bob

5. bobscogin

bobscogin

If you were running on a 1/4 drag strip and switched over to 1/8 mile, you'd run a half race cam. ;)

alanp561 likes this.
  6. insider

insider

Wobble stick is the crank
    Bump stick is the Cam
    Loud Pedal is the gas
    Cleaning off the tires is what we call a burnout

7. dudley32

dudley32

Four in the floor and a fifth under the seat...d32

8. Stroke: An owner whose mouth consistantly ran faster than his car ever did. ;)

Cacklers: Raucous, loud, cheap, glass or steel packed mufflers. Often preceded with the name of an adjoining state, like "Tennessee Cacklers" or "Arkansas Cacklers". :rolleyes:

Slush Box: Automatic transmission.

9. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

'poked and stroked'....'chicken scratch' (laying rubber while turning a corner, mostly because your car was unable to smoke 'em from a dead start) "leaners" - taildragger drivers with their arms out the window, their finger hooked on the vent glass post and their shoulders right against the door (with the requisite Lucky Strike dangling from their lips) and some heifer sitting half on their lap....

that's the way I remember it anyway...

"four barrel carb with dual exhaust, 4-11 gears that can really get lost, safety tubes and I ain't scared, cuz the brakes are good and the tires are fair"

10. Root66

Root66
    from Norcal

"She arcs"...a really quick car.

11. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

"and a six pack in the back". At least that was how we Okies said it back in the day. Geez, "back in the day" makes me feel old...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  12. scott 351 wins

scott 351 wins

13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fun thread.

I've learned some old terms from the couple who live two farms down the road from us...my 91 yr old neighbors Lee and Norma...both born in 1919. They know I like the old cars, and Lee has joked about my "jittney". (an old term for "taxi") Norma says "gas-buggy". LOL.

14. Kyron

Kyron
    from Peoria Az

mags .........

15. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

My old man used to call his Pontiacs "souped up" , Hi octane as "Ethyl", Nitrous powered cars ran on "goofy gas" "Neckers Knobs" A paint job that really shined a "Laquer Job'

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My Mom called 'em 'underslung', and 'cut-downs', got it from the Anti Hot Rod news media, late '40s. (She knew better, but got a kick out of "rank slang".)
    When rakes were first coming in, they were called 'Dago drop', or the car was said to be 'dagoed'. In Santa Clara (CA,) it was called a "Portagee Dip". (satire for the large contingent of Portuguese guys active in 1954)
    Bored out was "punched", longer stroke was an "arm"...pistons were "slugs". Gears were "cogs", clutch was the "sticker". Rear end was the "butt". (a 9" butt) Not too many of those...Doh!
    Tires were "skins", but the "long skinny one" was the gas pedal...Brakes were "Binders".
    "Souped up" "twin pipes", "dual straights", header plugs were "draggin' irons".
    Lakes pipes were "Kickstands", (still are at this place!)
    Remember callin' T's "T-bones", and A's "A-Bones"? Converts were "Ragtops", natch.
    A cam was a "stick". Heads were "lids". A car was a "short". Pickup was a "hauler", but so was a rapid "short"...OHV engines were "jigglers" (for rocker arms) desirable engines were "Bent Eights" over "Six in a row". "Four barrel" was a 'banger' in those days. A new four barrel carburetor was always called a 'quad'. Blower was "wheeze", distributor was a "match" or "matchbox". A low performance driver was a "squirrel", and when they performed, it was called "Rank Show!" (usually peeling out in gravel, or water)
    A handbrake skid (semi-circle) was called "spinning a hooker", or a "brodie". (brodies could also be pulled off with the throttle, as in "donuts")
    Reversed rims were "punched" or "dumped" rims. "Shackled" in front was "hung".
    There are more...

17. dudley32

dudley32

but isn't it funny that these terms moved all across a Nation...and some only by word of mouth...d32

18. Ruiner

Ruiner

Blocks are decked, heads are shaved, bores are punched out, tires are shoes, ladder bars/traction bars, bellhousing is a clutch box, an SFI approved bellhousing is a bomb box, manual transmission is a gearbox, auto transmission is a slush box...I'm sure I'm forgetting some...

19. carbking

carbking

Riley carbs!

The pretenders used 97's. The serious folk used Rileys.

Jon.

20. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. Greezeball

Greezeball

Ya! That's a POS with every POS from the JC Whitney catalog bolted to it. Ha ha ha.

22. Frank

Frank

I thought "Dago" was a not-so-PC term for Italians?

My Dad always called the trunk the "turtle hull".

23. codeblu

codeblu

I used to hear oldtimers refer to the 260/289/302 Ford motors as "Thin wall Henry's"

24. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

It may be, not sayin, but the guys I hung out with, all piesans would give you a face rub if you used that term.

25. RDR

RDR

HOT SHOE was a race car driver in the day...

26. Greezeball

Greezeball

non synchro gear box= crash box
    scatter sheild for SFI bell housing
    peg legger for open diff
    tiller for steering wheel
    shoes for rubber as in "I need a new set of shoes on account of layin' too much rubber"
    Here's an east coast Canadian term... "center head" for intake manifold on a V engine.

27. Cogger ( manual trans ) corked or uncorked ( headers open or not ) meats (tires )

28. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Hot iron
    Gow job
    Soup job
    V8 Ford (Flathead)
    Overhead (not a flathead)
    Rail job
    Rail

29. ---Wiggly stick = 4 speed stick.