Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot Rod Sports Cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ghornbostel, Dec 27, 2014.

1. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

years ago, I heard stories of 50's Morgans tested with v860 flat heads, which got me thinking (DANGER/WARNING)wouldn't one of those Brazilian Simca v860 Ardun overheads be cool in something.

2. MARVIN CT

MARVIN CT

My '52 mgtd with a 60hp in front, Mustang t5 in the middle, and 3.9 gears in the back. Not fast but lots of fun. Marvin,ct

Attached Files:

DJCruiser likes this.
  3. A while back I posted up a thread about an Ardun V8 60; http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/lost-and-found-ardun-v8-60.510369/#post-5626054
    So while not the Emi-Sul you refer to, it is the original hemi headed small flathead. v8_60 ardun 04.jpg

WC145, 29bowtie, Hnstray and 3 others like this.
  4. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Bob
    That's truly a work of art. I got my fist v860 for a hundred bucks, it had finned aluminum heads 2x2's it was originally in a midget and later, flywheel forward in a boat, it was replaced with an F85 Olds/Buick in the boat. I saved it for along time hoping to find a car for it and eventually gave it away.

5. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

My understanding of the Emi-Sul motors, were v860 blocks with Ardun heads. Some of the later castings show the exhaust ports in the blocks cast over instead of caps. the engines were used in some later Brazilian Mopars, I wonder if that stuff still exists there, could the foundry that made them still make them.

6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

The heads look completely different externally, so I don't think this is likely.

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  8. Tony

Tony

I gotta admit...im a closeted sports car fan and have owned a few and currently have a later model little German car :)
    But these cars posted are killer!
    Some great stuff here! I'm enjoying this thread :D

Tony

Elcohaulic likes this.
  9. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Certainly the valve covers look different, much nicer than the Brazilian ones.

10. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amazon .....Sports car ?..... BUT IT'S COOL!

11. robber

robber

I love these cars! I too have played with toys like MGB GT, 280Z, P544, 122S, Corvette, and Porsche. Although old, these cars aren't old enough to not be OT, so pictures won't be posted. If you take them and give them more power and better performance than they had from the factory, in my book you have hot rodded them, at least to a degree. I have seen many on these pages that I would consider hot rods... I might even consider some of them the proverbial Hot Rod From Hell; although not in the traditional sense (like my avitar). To own and/or drive any of these, is to know them; is to appreciate and respect them; is to love them! :)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Ak Millers cars, El Caballo one and two

13. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420035548.273208.jpg
    This is nice.

So is this:

14. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Thanks, I guess. To you guys its excotic, right ;)

And with 200hp in the bay, and 46-54 front rear weight, it handles better then a stock, and was both dragraced, and used for Hill Climb. And Daily driver.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I was reading an editorial-ish article in the last issue of Grassroots Motorsports yesterday which tried to define what an auto must have to be a "sports" car. It was informative and humorous but what caught my eye was a chart at the end that listed some of the more iconic sports cars (mostly older, but some new ones) and their power to weight ratios.

Consider this, a 2000lb car with some fuel and driver (say 2300 lbs total) and just 300 hp has about the same power to weight ratio (7.66) as a 2015 Porsche Carrera S (7.70). That's assuming a relatively equal gear / tire size, eh? No, your home built sports rod probably couldn't be capable of doing 150 neck n neck on the autobahn with the Porsche by any means, but that's peppy enough off the line to surprise said Porsche nut to the next stop light. Further, that same 2300 lb car with 400 hp (5.75) would have a much better power to weight ratio than the Porsche and move much further up the icon performance list, closer to the 427 Cobra world (5.4). So if you can keep your car light... happy trails all around. Gary

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
    WC145 and Chucky like this.
  16. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

The first Shelby and possibly the second one were built in the Moon Equipment Company shop in Santa Fe Springs. More than a few hot rodders involved in that build.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  17. wex65

wex65
    from WV

CSX2000 being built at Moon. Nice to see them being referred to as AC Cobras which is what they always will be to me. I grew up within 5 miles of their Thames Ditton factory and heard them being driven past us as a kid when they used to drive them up to test them on the M1.

An AC Cobra being driven at 185MPH+ on the M1 (think interstate here in the US) was highly likely to have been what caused speed limits to be introduced in the UK.

CSX2000.jpg

kidcampbell71 and dana barlow like this.
  18. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

The AC Cobra is a production sports car which most people who owned and raced a C2 Corvette are painfully aware of. Had Shelby built only one then it would be a hot rod sports car, a sb Ford engine in a AC chassis. Had he built a body and chassis (the daytona) then it would be a special. If you pulled the engine and dropped a bb Chevy into it then it would be a hot rod and would problably bring you more greif than this thread will me. It takes 50? copies to homologate to race production class which Cobras were built in excess of that. The Scarab is a very special special. No one in his right mind would pull the sb Chevy and install a sb Ford however Revenlow did have a very special Offy designed and built for F1 racing.
    Hot Rod Sports Car.. pre 1960 production sports car body and chassis with a engine swap. Pretty well describes every any year Ford or Chevy that a Chevy, Ford, Chrysler, Olds, Cad engine was ever swapped into with the intent of going much faster than the original. Thats Hot Rodding
    Greg

19. ghornbostel

ghornbostel

I believe that the intent of my post was to encourage people with pre 58 (60) sports cars that have been hot rodded to post their cars. I really didn't want to get into a discussion about production sports cars which Cobras and Tigers are (at least SCCA considers them that), that history can be read somewhere else or look at photographs of really great cars from people who don't own them. I will apologize if I have upset anyone with this seemingly OT subject. It won't happen again

Hornbostel has left the building

Atwater Mike and volvobrynk like this.
  20. Tony

Tony

Well, i think its a pretty cool thread...but, i know im strange soooo :)

21. Nothing wrong with the thread, I just offended him. He'll probably get over it, or not. Either way I doubt that it ends up in the history books.

22. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

I first saw your car on another site awhile back and as I had a 350 4 speed siting on my garage floor I thought I want one, those cars in unrestored stock form are no longer cheap.

23. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm from Stockholm...har agt tva Amazoner me B18's... din har mera drag!
    Happy New Years!
    Tommy

HOTRODPRIMER and volvobrynk like this.
  24. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

found this on CL Santa Barbara

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  25. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Facel Vega's, some models came from the factory with 392's

29bowtie likes this.
  26. 50Fraud

50Fraud

That one is a Facelia, which were powered by an ill-conceived DOHC four. An American engine swap had to be an upgrade in that instance.

27. Restored a 77 MGB for a lady 2 years ago, I wanted to swap a 4.3 GM V6 but she decided to keep it original, still turned out nice. Build is below.
    http://www.mgexp.com/member/1927graham

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. steven fralin

steven fralin

I just might of found a home :):):):)

bengeltiger likes this.
  29. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

I think Hornbostel's car falls into the art and inspiration category, my hope with keeping this thread alive would be that someone would post some real eyepoppers, to bad, Hornbostels left the building.