Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot rod scene in Hawaii? is there much of one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vividlyvintage, Jul 28, 2011.

1. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

[​IMG]

what is the hot rod scene like in Hawaii? Specifically on Oahu. I had the crazy dream the other night where I was starting a hot rod shop in Hawaii. This lead me to ask the question.. is there a big enough call for it.. you wouldnt think so with limited resources and vehicles and that most of the vehicles have already been restored. The only thing that I would assume would be a money maker is erosion control. but one never knows unless he asks.

2. Curly Hand

Curly Hand
    from Tucson

Hawaii has more drag strips per capita than any other state!

3. Now i can say that i learned something today. :D

4. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

HILO DRAG STRIP IS ALSO THE MOST SHUT DOWN FOR RAIN....
    I lived there in kona 6ish years.....
    Gonna say while there is a couple of guys over there that are the traditionalist hamb guys, lots of goldchainers, easter egg plastic cars over there. However it has a great vw scene...

5. badshifter

badshifter

OK, I'll ask. What is erosion control? Like putting old cars in river beds to keep the banks from washing away?

6. Farm Coupe

Farm Coupe

I spent 9 days hanging around Maui back in '07....I only remember seeing one 33 or 34 Fordor in a carport in a residential area. And this "A" on the side of the road.
    hawaii a.jpg

Everything on the road was a rental Mustang or Sebring drop top....

7. not to hijack a thread but erosion control...them little black fences they put around construction zones? thats one form, called a silt fence. it is the prevention of allowing large amounts of sediment to be picked up from ground runoff during a rain event (or flood in breeders case) to enter the main channels (ie waterways, rivers, creeks, etc) and thus possibly polluting the water source as a point source pollution product.

some communities use cars and concrete (even tho they seem to last this method is not ideal or environmental) to line banks of rivers and such in order to prevent the erosion of the banks thus either rapidly changing the pattern of the stream or river or more importantly to prevent the waterway from "entrenching" itself further thus creating a more violent flow during a flood event.

a more ideal wayto control erosion within a watershed area is to introduce a "flood plain" or more specifically a "riparian area". this is an area at least the width of the channel of flow, on each side of the channel. plants within the area filter nitrates and phosphates from the water as it raises, while the low gradient of the "flood plain" aloows the water to slow down as it rises up out of the actual banks. a U shaped channel erodes faster than a very wide and shallow V. more volume in the same space = a faster current, while a high volume within a shallow flood plain allows the water at the edges to flow more peacefully and thus not erode sediment.
    now ill wait for someone more knowledgable than me to further explain it (my father) or you can take that very generalized description and run with it =)
    once agin sorry for the temporary hijack...

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  8. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

lol I mean keeping the gold chainers cars from returning back to the earth with the very salty air keeping the rust under control is my version of erosion control.

I didn't know that about the strips. Interesting.

9. lol, never thought of it in that way.....

for some reason i like your explanation better. :D

10. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

11. diamonddrew

diamonddrew

[​IMG]

I was there in last February and saw the same A on the side of the road. Lots of rentals and pick ups.

Here is where they all went....
    [​IMG]

12. k-member

k-member

And there is the Maui Hemi.

Attached Files:

13. Lucky444

Lucky444

Hawaii has a long running Hot Rod history that goes back to pre WWII. Lots of everything here. A few Traditional Hot Rods and Kustoms, Lowriders, Bombs, Street Rods, Muscle Cars, etc. Lots of Cruise Nights and the occasional Auto Parts Swaps. All the different islands have their own thing going on.

You can check out the Oahu HAMB Group here...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=368

And here's a couple Hawaii threads on the HAMB...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=368

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=412450

A few other Hawaii Hot Rod related sites...

http://www.honolulustreetsmagazine.com/

http://www.808speedshop.com/

http://www.kalaeloaracewaypark.com/

http://www.islandracer.com/

14. Lucky444

Lucky444

You just have to look harder :D.

My Chevy Coupe is on the road every single day. You blink or look the other way and you'll miss me!

15. Going to be there at the end of Sept for 4 days first vacation in 15 years can't wait. Thanks for the info. Gonna go shopping for the tiki collection and do some surfing.

16. fleetside66

fleetside66

That's got to be one of the greatest car fossils of a time...what a shot!

17. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Any locals on the hamb think there would be enough of a call to open a speed shop/restoration shop? I mainly do restorations but I am just getting into the old school ways of building up speed in the flatties and early v8s and 6's. My gf is filipino and she has family that lives there. I have only been to hawaii once but when I went, ever since I have had the thought of living there. She isnt sure about it but thats because she hasnt been there yet. Found out it will only cost 1200 bucks each to have my cars shipped over.

So I would like an insight from a local. My shop could also be a redtoration shop of other things other than cars and trucks. I could do items like on American restoration as well as weld and or fabrication shop anything anyone needs either repaired or built from "Skrach" ;)

Thanks,
    Skrach
    www.VividlyVintage.com

18. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

There is a pretty active scene over here. Once a month or so the town I live in has a cruise night that generally gets 50+ cars, hot rods, kustoms, muscle cars etc and Honolulu Streets magazine has a good list of most of the cruise nights around the island.
    As for going into business, I don't really know. There are some pretty talented people over here building hot rods, but I'm sure there is room for one more.
    There is a show at Ron's Performance (www.ronsperformance.com) on September 10th, hoping to have the Poi Dog on the road by then. Should be able to drive it today, key word "should".
    And yes I've seen Lucky444 aka Jasons car on the road a few times, usually a green blur as it flys by. :D

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011