Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Hot Rod Racing!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Jan 15, 2014.

1. man, that looks like SOO much fun. i thought it was crazy how the turns were constructed, just a huge pile of dirt/concrete with the corner itself carved out of the side.

theres a racetrack about five minutes away from my house, im actually so close that on friday and saturday nights if you stand outside you can hear the cars goin around the track. it adds a nice background noise when im out wrenchin on my truck late at night. it started out as a dirt track in the late 50's and i have a picture of it with 50's chevy's, oldsmobiles, packards and so on lined up in the pits for either an ARCA race or some little average joe race, i cant tell. i actually found some 8mm color film of it right after they paved it in the late 60's during a sprint car race. its really a nice track me and my dad go there all the time. they have a dragstrip there as well, but its only 8th mile so its not quite as exciting. the cars usually barely make it into 3rd before they have to shut it down.

2. Those are real men!

3. Dr Dirt

Dr Dirt

In post #31 the 23 roadster pic (soares special) was taken at calistoga speedway. At oakland speedway Pops took all of us for a ride around the wall in the family sedan. However here is a pic of Pops at Oakland

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
  4. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I tried to post these earlier, but I can't see them so here we'll try again.

Attached Files:

5. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Attached Files:

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

When Troy Ruttman ran the Malloy sprint car at Oakland, they installed a extension on the RR wheel so he could rub along the wall and not blow the tire.

Attached Files:

7. Nobey

Nobey

Is that you Ron?