Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Hot Rod Primer and folks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stillrunners, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Looks like we are in for it. HRP

[​IMG]

50 customcoupe and Stogy like this.
  2. @HOTRODPRIMER According to what I've seen, once it crosses I-95, most of the wind will be scrubbed off, but the rain will be slightly less than what Noah experienced. Canoes and life vests may be in order....just listen out for banjos!

Prayers, Brother!! Keep us posted as you can....

3. Brett, I'm not going to worry about it, Brenda & I already had plans to go to Memphis for the '54 Ford Club of America convention this week and are leaving early in the morning while the weather is still nice, I am unsure of what we will encounter on our way home Sunday.

You know as well as I we can't do anything about the weather, we just put our faith in the Good Lord and say a prayer. HRP

mikhett, BigO, David Gersic and 10 others like this.
  4. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was only 3 and living in Northeast Philadelphia when Hazel hit in 1954. It took out a large Tulip Poplar tree next to our house. Still remember playing in the branches before the tree was cut up and hauled away. Hope all you guys escape any major damage.

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I would still listen for banjos:eek:

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

Hope all goes well for everyone. Bob

7. 62rebel

62rebel

Eerie thing right now is the difference in ambient noise outside. Usually there's a constant hum of traffic, even the nearby airport is fairly quiet. Our facility bottled up Tuesday and we're not asked to be back until Friday although that will probably change with the delay in landfall. It's been raining occasionally so there is saturated ground, heavy rain and high winds are going to be our worst threat. Our neighborhood has never been flooded even during Hugo, but we have a lot of tall trees around. My family is up in central Virginia, in the path of the storm over the next week. I worry more about it flooding there than down here.

8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The 5:00pm report from NOAA predicts a sort of deflection path from landfall around Wilmington, NC and bouncing down the coast to a point about halfway between there and Charleston and then turning inland to Columbia and then heading toward Knoxville, TN

9. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

It looks like we will get a lot of wind and rain, but I am hi and dry. I am about 35 miles south of Chattanooga. I have room in my covered pole barn for a few cars if somebody is dragging their project away from the storm. Let me know if I can help.

10. I’m in Myrtle Beach, I work for the city and can’t leave. I went out for a walk after dinner and it’s just plain creepy out there. Feels like the end of the world is coming. Been doing this for the past 25 years and have never felt this uncomfortable. Our home is as secure as possible and the garage is locked down. Fingers crossed we make it through this one. Going to retire next April a move to the mountains is looking better everyday. Prayers out to all my fellow Hambers in the Carolinas.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I'm in Raleigh, and it looks like we're still going to be getting some wind and rain, but not as bad as it was a few days ago. Prayers to everyone in the path.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

Been watching, maybe you will dodge the bullet, but be careful.

50 customcoupe and dirty old man like this.
  13. Yep......best to all...and hope all's well as you return to your homes !

14. The rain is what does you in for trees and telephone poles blowing down. The ground can only take so much. Even here in NY, we are in now with solid rain for 8 days. All we need is a little wind.... The hurricane definitely is having an impact on us. Down south, doesn't matter what category they call it... still gonna be a big mess for many.

15. My sentiments too.
    Be safe, your in my thoughts.

16. Got slammed last night in Morehead City. Power and Internet out, high tides and surf. Wind speeds were over 100mph through the early morning. Over on the beach, it looks like the dunes held and did their job protecting the island. The end of Oceanna Pier is gone.

They are talking about it being a long time until power is restored. Winds still at 75 mph, but will drop significantly through the day, allowing repair crews to get out.

Worst hit seems to be New Bern, where the Neuse River jumped its banks.

What a mess.... Waffle House is closed- not good!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waffle_House_Index

Storm just made landfall at Wrightsville, headed to Columbia, SC.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Healing and positive thoughts your way all...its gotta be hell.

Regards,
    Stogy

chryslerfan55 and 50 customcoupe like this.
  18. Reports this morning from friends in Kinston, NC - an hour inland away from the coast toward Raleigh- they are out of power and internet service as well. Concerns there about the rising Neuse River, which floods US 70, the main road to Morehead City and other points East. If the highway floods as it has in the past, it blocks the supply line to the coast.

We evacuated to Richmond, VA. Cars, shop, parts all high and dry.

Our neighbors who stayed in Morehead City report it was a long night with no sleep. They tell me that they can't see any structural damage to homes but many trees, fences and piers have taken a hit. Debris everywhere. Here is what is left of the pier over at Atlantic Beach:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the pictures neighbors are sending, there are still significant standing waves in Bogue Sound- my neighbor just wrote that the Sound looks more like the Atlantic Ocean this morning. The water at low tide is up into the yards along the shoreline. High tide at noon today. The view at daybreak from my neighbor's patio:

[​IMG]

Hoping for the best.

19. catdad49

catdad49

Really shouldn't hit the 'like' button, just saying Thanks for the updates.

20. Jeff J

Jeff J

The winds have started here bending the trees pretty good .No rain yet but it's coming . The gust will continue for another day till the storm hits us as it's stalled on the coast pretty much everything on the coast is gone from the high 12 foot rise of the water . Our biggest worry is the tree crashing into the house and shop as we live in the heavy woods . with huge trees .Black walnuts ,white oaks .red oaks ,maples trees that you can't put your arms around .

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. Historic downtown Beaufort this morning:

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Hang tough, yall.

23. 50 customcoupe

50 customcoupe

Praying for safety for all of you...….keep us up-dated if you can......we are worried about you.

chryslerfan55 and dirty old man like this.
  24. Over on Atlantic Beach:

[​IMG]

Downtown New Bern:

[​IMG]

50 customcoupe and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for pics - much that may not show on the TV news - very tough on everyone there

50 customcoupe likes this.
  26. As of tonight, Morehead City and everything Down East in North Carolina is cut off from the rest of the state. US 70, the main route to the coast, is blocked by high water and downed trees over the road at Kinston, New Bern, Havelock, and Newport. It is raining tonight, and is forecast to continue through tomorrow.

In Morehead City- a small city of 9500- there is no power, no internet service, and no cable. No stores are open, no gasoline available, and no restaurants operating. A curfew is in effect and is being enforced. The repair crews cannot reach the city because of the blocked roads, and the weather conditions are not yet safe to begin clearing.

Nothing to do but wait until the water recedes.

This afternoon over on the beach....

[​IMG]

27. The Weather Channel has the best coverage of the storm. The rain accumulation figures are staggering.

28. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

30mi north of Charlotte,NC in Landis NC. Light rain and wind gust and still have power. Thoughts and prayers to all concerned. Hang in there...……...

29. We were very blessed in the Myrtle Beach area. Lots of wind and rain but so far from what I have seen pretty minimal damage compared to our northern neighbors. Going to have to work through the weekend but I'll take that compared to what could of been. Those of you in North Carolina my prayers are with you.

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

50 customcoupe, Stogy and 26hotrod like this.
  30. Still watching it rain here, but the good news is the winds have moved on.

On a more “somber” note, HWY 70 is closed between Kingston and Morehead City and won’t be open until at least Tuesday. This means that my daughter and the kiddos are here until then...cabin fever!!!

At least we’re all safe and sound! Prayers for those with the long road ahead of them...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    50 customcoupe and Stogy like this.