Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Hot rod powerplants, hot or stock

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Feb 14, 2019.

?

What kind of engine do you prefer?

Poll closed Feb 21, 2019.
  1. Bone stock- nice smooth idle

16 vote(s)
    12.7%
  2. Stock with a lumpy cam for that potato potato potato sound

85 vote(s)
    67.5%
  3. Full on ridiculous, gotta run race fuel, kick it up in neutral at stoplights

25 vote(s)
    19.8%
  1. wicarnut

wicarnut

I like many want a little bit of hot rod sound, a cam even with low compression sounds good, higher compression sounds better but then you have to run premium, really barking. race gas, not practicable IMO. So...... in today's time, a stock later model engine is the answer, great performance and gas milage to go with. Back in the day all my sbc had the gm 30/30 cam, 348 put in a solid lifter cam, the idle and clatter was the deal for me, AND are we Racing or Cruising. AS always, my opinions and $2/3 buys coffee at breakfast.

bdynpnt likes this.
  2. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It took me a while when I was a young man to realize that if I wanted to "run with the big dogs" I wasn't going to be able to do that with the limited amount of money I had and still have a reliable street car. There were lots of guys around with quick cars but they seemed to spend more time working on them than driving. Back then, the solution for me was to go to later model big inch motors and leave them pretty much stock. You know the thinking, "There's no substitute for cubic inches".

wicarnut likes this.
  3. sometimes I feel like a nut........some times I don't. I like a cruiser, and sometimes I like a racer..........variety is the spice of life............ohhh unless your married.

wicarnut likes this.
  4. triman62

triman62

I really think there is a place for all three engines in my world, For driving on the street, I prefer a custom car with a nice smooth idle. I have a couple Harley's for that patented potato, potato sound. And of course a radical race fuel only engine for the track. I voted for the bone stock because I spend the most time on the street.

bdynpnt likes this.