Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Power Tour 2011....THOUGHTS?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dynaflash, Nov 23, 2010.

1. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

OK, I know that HRPT seems to be 99% Muscle cars and new stuff, but was thinking about taking the 28 Model A for some or all of it in June of 2011.
    Would love to hear from anyone that has done HRPT and especially if you did it in a HAMB car.
    Any ideas, things that I need to keep in mind.

THANKS, Dynaflash

2. whistlebritches

whistlebritches
    from texas

i did part of it the first year in a 69 RS/SS...loved it.....fully intend on doing it this year in my 39 Ford truck

3. George

George

Lots of hot rods & StreetRods on the Tour. Come on along!

4. raengines

raengines
    from pa.

did part of it 2 years ago in a 67 corvette, great fun. enjoy

5. monsterflake

monsterflake

bingo!

6. NotStockPhoto

NotStockPhoto

I did it in the van last year and will do it again in 2011.....it was a blast

7. allstarderrick

allstarderrick

I did it in 2004. I missed the first venue, picked it up on the second stop in Kansas. It was a really good time. Left Connecticut in a truck that was finished the night before (47 Chevy) stopped at the Nats East in PA. then on to Kansas. Did the Tour up to Greenbay WI. Left there early Saturday morning then off to Goodguys Indy. Lots of muscle cars but still a fairly good amount of hotrods. The majority of the cars changed daily, lot's of guys would do 1 or 2 stops then head back. I would suggest booking all your hotels ahead of time, I booked all Motel 6's, most were really cheap and full of other Power Tourers. I had a great time and would do it again.

8. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

did just a couple of stops last year, probably the most fun i had all year i will do some if not the long haul this year. what part of the "south " you in. the reason i ask is we had a meeting last weekend to start planning for those who were doing some/all of the tour.

9. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

Ye shall not booze up and HAMB.:D

10. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

false :D

11. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Don't understand this at all......what pump? What booze?

12. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Conyers GA .....east of Atlanta a little.

13. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I read an article on the 2005 Power Tour while on my honeymoon, and decided then and there it was on my “bucket list” (a cliched term, but useful).

-Dave

14. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

How about 2011 for scratching that off your bucket list?

15. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

I'd love to, but based on the guys I've talked to that have done it, driving my non-overdriven, drum-braked cars on the Power Tour might be tantamount to suicide. Of course, I've never been one to feel like I need to be at the front of the pack - or even in the center!

At the very least, I need to spend some serious cash overhauling what I've got for reliability.

-Dave

16. Hell yes, go for it! There were quite afew that that was on the tour last year.

17. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Big Cheese327......I understand. My Model A does not have overdrive, but does have a 2.73 rear drive ratio, so it is OK on the road. The tank only holds 10 gal of fuel, but by the time it needs fuel, I am ready for a short break anyway. I am going to do from the start to Nashville at least. If I find out that you get to drive your car on the Indy track, then it will be on to Indy for me. THANKS

18. zmandet

zmandet

I did a leg of it two years ago...saw a pretty good mix of cars....there were a lot of side trips by different vendors too. i wanna try to do the entire thing this year.....just my 02 cents worth.

19. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Bigcheese327

Did the tour in 2006 with my 55 chevy with drum brakes through the blue ridge parkway ,didn't have any problems...

I say go for it.....

dynaflash<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_5895478", true); </SCRIPT>

I say go man ,

you will have a ball,

theirs all kinds of cars and you can pretty much join any crowd you want to.

20. MilesM

MilesM

Did not want to go to Florida but will probably be going with my brother again. We have went on many Long Hauls.

We usually take two cars but I rode with my brother last year in an OT car with drum brakes even!

21. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

I do not really understand why som people have a fear of drum barkes. If they are adjusted right, they will be fine.
    OK, I will register and start making some serious plans to go.
    I wonder if they will let you drive your car on the track at Indy, like some of the Goodguys events do?

22. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

dynaflash...

We have drove it before on a short portion of the track,

at that time they would not let us go around the whole track ,

but can't say for sure this year....

23. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Ive done three of them and had a blast on each one. Waiting for the PT to come back west so it dont look good. Its all about the money now and there are staying in the more populated east.

24. Django

Django
    from Chicago

I've been to some stops before but never on the whole thing.

Next year though, we'll be taking the HRCC/Raybestos Brakes GTO-R.

25. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

I would say to anyone thats a car person ,

By all means go and have a blast ,

If its one or two days or the longhaul you will have a blast,

Its just fun road tripping with a bunch of other car nut gear heads,

Take a camera !

26. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

a buddy of mine is so committed he goes on every single leg every year and says he does not care it if starts in Seattle......
    he will go no matter what!

I know that those that go on it - they always say they will be back!

27. 68 C10

68 C10
    from Athens, GA

I went on a couple legs in 2006 with a couple buddies right after we graduated high school. Had an absolute blast, I'd recommend it to anyone that enjoys cars. Didn't get to go at all this past year but hopefully will make a couple stops this time around.

If I get to go I'll probably be in my O/T daily driver C10, but I'd love to meet up with some folks along the way.

And I agree, make absolutely sure you bring a camera.

28. BlownMerc

BlownMerc
    from Jerome

I am leaving from Michigan and plan on doing the entire tour. If anyone is interested in a convoy hit me up!

29. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Brake fade. I am very happy with the way my Camaro stops (the Falcon be could be a bit better), but I had them go away in heavy traffic once and wouldn't care to experience it again.

-Dave

30. trailer-Ed

trailer-Ed
    from JC, MO

I did 2010 (this year) in my HAMB friendly 40 Ford coupe. My wife and I did the full tour plus a couple days and had a great time. Not a cheap trip, but you will see some awsome country sides, and LOTS of cool cars along the way!!!