Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod power tour 2009

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by threepiston, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Hey Hot Rod Mag when are you going todo one here on the west coast? maybe towards the end of the year when its not so hot.

2. MilesM

MilesM

Sounds great, thanks.

3. T BUCKET TERROR

T BUCKET TERROR

About one month to go...doing the last bit of work to get ready.

4. We will be in Madison and Racine for sure. To bad I can't pull you over again Jimmy! Maybe next year.

5. gonmad

gonmad

Yeah, I will miss it for sure, but with a 3 year old AND a 4 month old........well I ain't up
    For that! LOL.

6. T BUCKET TERROR

T BUCKET TERROR

7. bbb

bbb

I'm coming over from London, England to do the long haul this year with my wife. I hope I get to meet some of you guys :)

8. Mercury Kid

Mercury Kid

Might make it out to dayton. I've never gone but I think it would be fun.

9. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I will be heading up the volunteer registration crew, so look me up. Also, if you are going to come over a bit in advance, track me down and perhaps we can check out some of the local points of interest. Hope to meet you for certain.

10. uglydog56

uglydog56

I did 2000, 2002, and 2006. The 2000 had longer runs which made it much more fun. I don't like the 3 hours of driving, all day car show things either. I talked to the staff, though, and many people complained about the long runs because their cars couldn't make it. I'm not kidding.

11. gonmad

gonmad

What did you drive dog?

12. starchief1959

starchief1959

I'm going to run the long haul and BTT50's HardCore style!:cool:

2 weeks of carbon footprint increasing carnage. From MN through the tour and back it's gunna be 3,000 miles.

13. George

George

A GM employee has started a rumor that GM has secretly bailed on hosting the Warren venue. Threads on both Hot Rod's & Frieberger's Forums about it. Nothing Official. Supposedly a search is on for alt. location.

14. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I heard that today as well. I sure hope it's not true. I was planning on visiting the Heritage Center with the PT folks the day they come to town.

15. MilesM

MilesM

I have been worried something like that would happen. Not only the one venue but they are normally a major sponser and have a set up at every stop. Won't stop us from driving around the country though!

16. Yep, cancelled. Cancelled the annual employee car show too. I hear that the floggings will continue until morale is improved.

17. George

George

replacement Venue announced today. Metro Beach Metro park, Mt Clemons, Mi

18. George

George

It was reported quite a while back that GM had already paid the Sponsorship. Good chance nothing of GMs will go on the Tour this year, & no doubt they won't sponsor again.

19. rat_rod_ruler

rat_rod_ruler
    BANNED
    from Florida

NOT ENOUGH RAT RODS!!

Seriously I went to one of these one time. To many shiney cars man. I like my rusted and ratted. Good people tho, I will say that.

Don

20. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

It's a nice venue but not much of anything else out that way certainly not the Heritage Center which I was hoping they would still have open for the PT participants and not anywhere near Woodward Ave.:(

21. von zipper

von zipper

I bet they bail on the Dream cruise too!

22. Chally

Chally

HOT ROD Magazine and the Detroit Convention and Visitors Bureau are pleased to announce a new location for the Tuesday, June 9th stop of the HOT ROD Magazine Power Tour in Detroit. The new venue will be Metro Beach Metropark, a 770-acre park on Lake St. Clair located east of Mt. Clemens in Macomb County.

While Power Tour was scheduled to stop at the General Motors Warren Technical Center on Tuesday, June 9th, GM has decided not to host the stop on the tour so that their employees can remain focused on restructuring GM for success in the future. Our friends at GM sincerely regret the timing of this decision.

"Over the past 15 years, we've learned that even with the best planning and attention to details, there will always be surprises with Power Tour," said Jerry Pitt, Publisher of HOT ROD Magazine. "Thanks to the efforts of our hardworking team and our partners at the Detroit Convention and Visitors Bureau we were able to find an excellent location in close proximity to the GM Technical Center in Warren."

The best news is that the new venue is close to all current hotel accommodations. The new venue for the metro Detroit area is less than 22 miles from the GM Technical Center."

Additionally, the City of Warren has planned an after-hours cruise in Warren, Michigan on June 9 in close proximity to the official hotel accommodations.

23. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

The Detroit stop was planned for the GM Technical Center in Warren, MI (not the Heritage center). GM notified us about 10 days ago that they thought they would be unable to have the stop at their facility. That left us with finding a new venue in Detroit, which we and the CVB finalized at the end of last week. We have put the revised driving directions on the website, so check that out. The statement that GM released was, in part, “The Hot Rod Power Tour was scheduled to stop at the GM Warren Tech Center on June 9th to participate in special events planned for the day. GM has decided not to host the stop on the tour, so that the employees remain focused on restructuring GM for continued success in the future. We regret the timing of this decision, and are working with the Hot Rod Team for a replacement location for the stop.”

this is right from the folks at Hot Rod. Maybe Barrack will cancel the entire Tour?

24. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I was told the Heritage Center WAS going to be open for tour participants.:(

25. Nitro Pontiac

Nitro Pontiac
    from Wisconsin

We should all drive by the tech center as a show of support for GM. Honk horns or something.

26. T BUCKET TERROR

T BUCKET TERROR

27. gonmad

gonmad

The new CEO of GM axed it I heard. Big O has never really been into cars and this just proves it! Have a good time guys, who knows what next year will bring!

28. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Oh yeah, one more thing to add, there will be absolutly no bitching about our fucking roads after your visit here. We know they are fucked up and we don't need to hear you pissin and moanin how awful they are, we alreay know and no amount of complaining and whinning on the HAMB will change our roads. With that being said, enjoy your visit here. :D

29. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

If any one gets to bristol, come see me in the pits, southern slingshots, fed ,Outhouse Mouse.

30. Damn i was planning on ditching work to make the ind. mi. and oh. stops on 2 wheels. Maybe I will just go for a ride somewhere else. Hell maybe I should work on my toys for a couple days.