Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot rod picture and discussion thread

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by Student9038, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Student9038

Student9038

Alright so my last thread got taken down no worries though just a thread to see and talk about hot rods of any kind

2. Student9038

Student9038

Sent from my Z955A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Student9038

Student9038

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Maybe you need to "lurk" around here, until you figure out what tha hell is going on.

5. Student9038

Student9038

Do you mean with the deleted thread or did I screw something up with the way I posted this

6. Student9038

Student9038

I will eventually get in the habit of replying

7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9038 I'm critiquing your choices of Traditional Hotrods just as your Teacher would then I'll put up 4 that I consider Traditional Hotrods...it's a serious category. The Guys and Gals put their all into getting their Traditional Hotrods built period correct to 1965 and earlier.

Pic 1) Stock 1956 Chev - Not a Traditional Hotrod

Pic 2)1955 Ford Pickup - A style of build newer than 1965 more Street Rod than Hotrod...Not a Traditional Hotrod

Pic 3) A 1930 to 1932 Stock 3 Window GM Coupe...Not a Traditional Hotrod

Pic 4) A 1954 Chev Custom...Not a Traditional Hotrod

How do I know by reading, learning, listening and looking...;)

@tfeverfred suggested lurking (looking around to learn) start here (see links below)...and read and understand the guidelines and look at the Hotrod/Custom pics posted...as it is what is accepted and expected here in this forum you are in...everyone here is expected to adhere to these guidelines or you will be gone as fast as you came. Not a threat just what being here and participating is expected of you, I and all.

Note each forum has Guidelines at the top of the posts and each forum represents specific types of Hotrods/Customs

There are 3 Main Forums listed below.

1) 'The Hokey Ass Message Board'
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-h-a-m-b-rules-guidelines.44274/

2) 'Traditional Hot Rods' You posted in this one
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/guidelines-the-traditional-hot-rod-forum.828348/

3) Traditional Customs
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/guidelines-the-traditional-custom-forum.828351/

Hope this helps @Student9038 great thing is once you understand you can change your pics above to correct Traditional Hotrods. It's just a learning curve and I'm still learning everyday...

8. Student9038

Student9038

Thank you and guys I am so sorry perhaps I jumped into the deep end too soon I'll look around and learn more before I make stuff, before I look dumber than I already do but again stogy thank you so much

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 4 Traditional Hotrod Pics...

32_3wHotrod_modded.jpg

Genes-Hotrod.jpg

see the date:rolleyes:

BM.jpg

BerardiniBros.jpg

There ya go...;)

@Student9038 mistakes are a part of learning read those guidelines...all three sections and look at the pics...
    it will help.

You gotta go to school tomorrow...
    Get some rest to give your best to the wonderful once in a lifetime thing called Education.

And say hi to Mr Myrick from Stogy for me.

By the way here is the link to your Teachers build and He started this thread in the "Hokey Ass Message Board" Forum as the Custom Hotrod you guys are building is an Inspired Traditional Custom

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/caddy-roadster-high-school-shop-build.1085408/

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  10. Student9038

Student9038

Thanks again stogy I see where I screwed up but I'm.not gonna fix it just not for a while till I know what I'm looking for

Stogy likes this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More

032-2016-hot-rod-dirt-drags-hawaiian-roadster-rear-three-quarter_sml.jpg

DK1.jpg

mod1960.13_sml.jpg

5windr.jpg

43-glenn-volz_sm.jpg

Credit to Photographers, Owners

12. uncle buck

uncle buck

X38, User name starts with “student “. Everyone starts somewhere so give em a break and let em learn. Youth in our hobby is a good thing

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

13. Are you a Walking Dead Fan?
    A specific thread about the whole site Would be like the after show, "Talking Hamb":p:D

He said he was sorry and going to work on figuring out the site.

Wrench666 likes this.
  14. You know what? Anyone can call themselves 'student'...and I checked his profile before posting...no information. I'm not a clairvoyant.

15. I deleted my post so you guys can get back to the unicorns and rainbows.

Sancho and bowie like this.
  16. Student9038

Student9038

First off I looked around for a thread of non specific hot rod pictures and didn't find one that's what this is or was supposed to be, clearly what I thought the website was for and what the admins meant it to be is different, also I missed the whole introduction thing if I'd have seen it I'd have never posted because I didn't know what a traditional hot rod was I mean no one ever told me "hey this is traditional and this isn't traditional hot rods are..." That is before last night any way .My profile is blank because I haven't found the page to fill it up again since my email got confirmed. I think that's about all the things said about me explained a bit better.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  17. I'm not sure how guys get here or by what path.
    But I'm sure one has to go past this page
    image.png

The top post is a sticky and remains there.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/guidelines-the-traditional-hot-rod-forum.828348/
    Have a read thru. There are 3 sub sections. The main board is a bit looser and relaxed. The "traditional hot rod" subsection is pretty hard core on period correct stuff.

Once again not sure on the path but there's this page that's pretty hard to get past
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forums/the-hokey-ass-message-board.5/
    image.png

Donuts & Peelouts and Stogy like this.
  18. Student9038

Student9038

Well guess I'll just call it quits right now then have a good life y'all I'm done

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So, student, you want pictures?

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tired-of-homogenized-hotrods.1002926/

My spin, but I'm just another swingin dick here, there's a lot of cars and topics that only the most hard-nosed would find off topic. While the main focus is a style and era most of us are quite fond of you can't take such a fluid venue and trap it in a box. Imagine how many front engine dragster pics we'd miss if that were the case. And if you REALLY wanna be a dick about all this every build in the last 20 years, regardless of final style, would also have to fuck off. You'll get the hang of it in short order. Your epiphany will set in one day and all will be clear. You'll understand how a hot rod hoodlum can actually be one of the most respected members of society and among his peers. At that point you too can "Preach the Gospel of TRADITIONAL HOT RODS AND CUSTOMS to Hoodlums Worldwide." I also recommend the "...pictures of days gone by" thread (which I think is our biggest) but not all at once. Sensory overload and worth every page. Welcome...

Stogy likes this.
  20. I wouldn't call it quits,{Student}. I watched this site for a year before I did my first post. You will find, that this is a great place. But as said, there's rules. If I post something and it gets deleted, That's cool. The Mods are just trying to keep us on track. ;) I hope you stay. Thanks Ron....

Stogy, bowie and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. Don't give up so easy,
    That's the wrong attitude to have with any endeavor you may undertake. If that is the attitude that you truly have, nobody will ever miss you in anything you quit- so in a way it works for everyone.
    You can have any interest you want in anything, but here it's about traditional hotrods as defined by the moderators.

22. Hey Student9038,
    Don't give up to easy, this really is a great site!
    You just have to remember that there are sharks in the deep end of the pool.
    A lot of traditional hot rod/custom guys on here, that are really serious about the hobby!
    Some very excellent craftsman & some grumpy fucks as well.
    Most people aren't dead serious about every little thing.
    Lurking is a good idea & it will give you a good idea of what the site is all about.
    There are a lot of great ideas & cool old pics of traditional 40's, 50's & 60's hot rods & customs.
    Also a lot of really talented mechanics/rodders that you can bounce questions off of.
    Remember, if in doubt, try the search function.
    In a round about way, welcome to the HAMB.

23. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Welcome to the HAMB. You'll get used to it. Don't worry when you get your threads deleated it has happened to me too, learn from old threads. When reading relplys don't take them personal. You gotta role with the punches and hopefully you'll be throwing them one day instead of just receiving them. You can't give up on cars they always come back if it's in your blood.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Just thought I'd jump in with the sharks with both feet. I'm hoping my 29 Model A passes the test for traditional. Here's a couple pics. Sorry about the ugly Ma. lic. plate. I'm actually in NH and I just got some 1929 NH plates I can't wait to put on. The Ma. plate is from the previous owner. I just got it 2 weeks ago. I wish I could say I built it but still excited about it and being part of the traditional community. Also looking forward to putting the H.A.M.B firewall tag on it. IMG_1555.jpg IMG_1552.jpg IMG_1553.jpg IMG_1554.jpg

25. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think it falls into the Traditional Hotrod Forum but is fine in the Hokey Ass Message Forum which means it has many Traditional features but has some modern elements in stance and certain items...so it is considered Inspired Traditional...In other words that is also stated as If you aren't sure post in Hokey Ass Forum...It's a matter of respect...to Hardcore Traditional...

My Hotrod is also not Truly Traditional due to certain criteria so anything I post build or otherwise I use the Hokey Ass Forum...still proud to be a member regardless of how I fit in...I'm in...

Welcome @Stephen Barrett and this is just my opinion of course as I was 5yrs old in 1965 but my opinion is based on my gleaned knowledge and observation...

I will say there was some very low sedans in the 50s but they were not that common I believe...I have seen these types of Sedans as yours wrongly categorized as Rats and it's obvious to me where the builder in your case was focused and it wasn't in Ratsville...Cool Hotrod and welcome to The Hamb...

@tudorfritz has a pretty cool one and there is a fella my way also a Hamber with one similar... @tikiwagon13

TudorFritz's build thread at link below...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tudorfritz-slowly-builds-a-model-a-build-thread.429076/

tikiwagon13's build thread at link below...

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/28-model-a-project.952919/

0_20190827_163342.jpg

:rolleyes:...my inspired Hokey Ass Special which I tinker and wrench on But didn't build, it was a built here in 2010 by Hamber @HomemadeHardtop57...;)

I like to give credit where credit is due...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    41 GMC K-18, camcrusher and wraymen like this.
  26. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Thanks for the info and critique. Also the warm welcome. I thought because everything on my car accept the T5 trans and a couple of very small items was pre 1950 I could post here. I'll take Inspired Traditional over Rat Rod any day. At least now I have an accurate category to put it in now. Sorry I tested the waters here. I new the sharks were in the water. I do have much respect for the purest so I will post elsewhere from now on. Also I'm wondering when you think people started channeling and lowering cars like mine? Thanks again and really enjoyed the picture of your car.

Stogy likes this.
  27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stephen that's a really good question regarding this particular style...I suspect it may be older than we think and because Hotrod/Custom/Race happened across the Vast North American Region since the Big Picture began...but I'm going to say 50's-60s.

What's really great here is while your enjoying this unique new experience with your Hotrod you can hang out here and go thru the wild 60s thread and the Homogenized Thread and the Period Hotrod thread...this place is a wealth of history, information and People that have and are experiencing the Life around it. Perhaps you may trade or sell off the New Ride after a year or so...maybe even go for a complete different style altogether as there is a lot to like really...have fun and I will share some pics as I find them that relate to your ride...I think it's well done and Sedans are cool...;)

28. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Thanks for the info. So if this style was done in the 50s and 60s I'm wondering what I might be able to do to it to get it in the Traditional category. Also maybe you can tell me is Traditional and Period Correct the same thing. I am going to check out the Homogenized Tread because some of the things I have that don't fit the Traditional category are my steering wheel, gauges, electric fuel pump, remote oil filter, electric fan,12v conversion and my mirrors. I have considered changing a lot of these things but not all. I do like the idea of Traditionally inspired because I don't know if I could go full "Period Correct" Let me know what you think.

Stogy likes this.
  29. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Welcome aboard! Channel cars definitely go back to the early 50’s. Your A bone looks good! Since it is flatty powered I would stick to a 50’s style. Just as constructive suggestions , externally I would eliminate the new style gas fill, go to smaller headlights,install Belond style headers, and 15” OEM disc wheels with probably 8.20’s out back and 5.60’s up front. Early wires were usually seen more in the 40’s era, before channeling became in vogue.

Stogy likes this.
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have no plans to correct the things on my Ride to bring it to full on period correct and due to where I am in life I'll accept running with it as inspired and no matter what it truly is an inspired 1962 as it was built in 2010 to a vision with I would say quite a good understanding of what a Hotrod in 1962 may have looked like...While my Sport Coupe is truly one of a kind it has many elements the period 62 Hotrods had...not only that the Hotrod minus Drivetrain could have fit easily into the late 40s-50s scene as the story went a Fella came Back from WWII was an aviation mechanic bought an old car and made a Hotrod well in 50 there was no Smallblocks only Flatheads and the 57 Chev rear-end wasn't out yet...

Traditional and Period Correct two touchy subjects around here as it brings opinions which can differ and never be balanced as plausible...I would say you would be hard pressed to prove that look as Traditional just due to lack of Visual coverage of that Particular Profile again I was 5 in 65 and am not nearly as well versed in Hotrod History as many here...I have seen many Historic Pics...PM Fritz and get his take on it...This place is an open Forum for discussion don't forget...

Period correct means picking a year for your Hotrod Sedans inspired existence and having either original parts or reproduction copies of parts and fabrication matched or available to that period...pick 1958 as a year...you would never have a cross steer vega steering box in 58 so its not period correct but there may have been cross steer in 58 but using another 58 or older steering box of some other available brand for cross steer...

The things you saw in 1958 at the shows, on the streets, in the mags and at the races influenced the Tradition we speak of and its well documented but regionally there were differences in what happened Traditionally...and People involved came from all walks and skillsets...so in many ways there are gray areas...Big Headlights is a huge issue for instance...I have pretty big lights on the Hotrod...It is often argued that the big Lights were Ditched once the Sealed beams came in and yeah there is some merit to support this...But I suspect the bandwagon varied...I have considered going the guide route myself 1 for better light and 2 for the look...My Hotrod I period it as 1962-3 so sealed beams, Guides, Deitz and so many more are period correct...

Traditional would be there were many in numbers either that did similar mods and looks as in channeling, Chopping, Big and Little Bias combinations...If masses are doing it it is considered Tradition...

Again I think you should stay on board consider your Ride an Inspired Traditional to the Hotrod past plausibly late 50s early to Mid 60s and Hokey Ass it and enjoy and glean and share what interests you...

There was a Hamber who posted a Sedan in the Homogenized thread and I felt it lacked a Period Vintage Vibe and Leaned to the Post 90s Vision...But I'm a Member and it's really not my job to police and some have Rides that just skirt the Vibe of this place.

There was a also Hamber who Passed far to early recently that had a Wild Roadster that like yours really reached back in so many ways plausibly but was Inspired Traditional...I believe His Name was Randy Perez may he rest in peace...

Every Member comes here and presents and shares their Visions of Traditional Hotrod/Custom it's up to us as individuals to read the rules, Threads that interest us, look at the pics and go from there...But I personally feel your ride just for the trans alone knocks it into Inspired Territory why fight it...Don't forget You can't invent Tradition and Period so forcing it can get one in trouble if they can't substantiate the claim.

I do for the most part other than Questions and Suggestions I launch all my Queries through the Hokey Ass Message Board Proudly...

I'm going to try and find that sedan in the early to mid 50s that had rear fenders molded into or close to the window edge so it was very low but it was also conveyed as a joke...but people see people do and from what I understand one of doesn't constitute Traditional...It could be period correct but not necessarily described as Traditional...

Have Fun Stephen...;)

bowie likes this.