Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Hot rod parts you would like to see produced.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55willys, Nov 27, 2016.

1. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

This is an interesting thread. The research, tooling and marketing of a product is very intense and expensive. I suspect that even with 3-D printing, some of the items requested in this thread would start at a low four figure number. I noticed that there are a lot of requests for obsolete intake manifolds. Anybody every call Offy, Edlebrock, Wieand or Clifford and ask why they don't dust off the original manifold and valve cover patterns and make a foundry run? I suspect that the answer is that if you want to buy fifty units and resell them, they'd be happy to run a batch!

55willys and K13 like this.
  2. Squablow

Squablow

The Dodge Power Giant 354 engines could also use that intake, they use the 331 style heads and they all had a 2bbl. Using the original to make a casting mold should shave a lot of design time off of it, vs designing something from scratch.

55willys likes this.
  3. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I find this to be very interesting. Do you have any information backing this up or, in the alternative, does anyone else know anything about this? Does anyone know if there is a difference between the '54 4-BBL heads and the 2-BBL heads?

4. I've read it several different places.

5. 55willys

55willys

Hey there 31Vicky with a hemi, I see you are in Cleveland Ohio. There is a lot more manufacturing industry there than where I am. Do you have any connections to get some of these things done?

6. I've been out of it so long - it's still possible I guess.
    There's a lot of stuff and shops closed up and gone too so it ain't like it was 10 years ago

7. Here's the available work around for the problem.
    Personally I find it very unattractive.
    Then from a functionality view, I suppose it works well enough but the flow restrictions feel wrong to my senses. There are some that 331 heads that have been drilled ant tapped the front of the heads too. TRWaters had (at one time maybe still does) plates that bolted to the front of the heads to take a pipe fitting after some simple milling.

The question is,,, will a guy buck up for a new manifold or settle for this nonsense.
    Perhaps the nonsense approach wins at the present time because there's nothing else available besides finding the one year only 1954 manifold or jumping up a year to 1955 heads.
    The secondary reasoning is that if a newly available manifold were in the options, a lot more heads would be just as viable and instantly become "usable" to the average guy.

If I had a bunch of money and didn't mind putting some money at risk I'd try producing a manifold, there's no competition. If I had a little money and had one chance, I'd probably do something smaller and cheaper first.
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Squablow likes this.
  8. Arominus

Arominus

Doesn't the hot heads intake work for this? IIRC it has the plugs in the intake flange to work on the 51-54 heads. Sure its the ugly hoses but it works..

Attached Files:

9. I sure thought there would be more interest in this tool...Guess I was wrong....

Montana1 likes this.
  10. I need one of these. Right now we have that ugly tubular thing from HH, the more I look at it the more I hate it.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

BigDTexasKid likes this.
  11. 55willys

55willys

Does anyone have one that they can take some critical measurements from? If I have measurements I can make it.

BigDTexasKid likes this.
  12. I'm with you there. Maybe nobody drives their '32 when it's raining or there's bugs out. :eek::rolleyes:o_O lol

13. Tatar, why did you switch out the HH unit?
    That's going to be real important on why the other PAW style is needed.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

14. 55willys

55willys

Red and blue AN fittings are hideous and don't belong on a traditional hot rod or anything else for that matter. Cast aluminum is traditional and seems to be an art that we should be continuing. When the war was over there was a huge surge in speed equipment that was cast. It seems that hot rodders were trying all kinds of new ideas and casting a lot of aluminum.

With the cost of machine shop time and tools it made sense. Now you can design a part in CAD and send it directly to an automatic CNC machine center and it will spit out perfect part's. That being said there is something to the organic look of cast parts. Pattern making is a dying art that we should be preserving and learning to do. So what if your first few are failures you can learn like our predecessors did. That is what I have done, learned the the old ways and preserved it by teaching younger guys how to do it.

15. It's not just the color, those fittings could be painted anything, silver black, block color or stripped and polished. Yes that color is the first thing that slaps you but it's much more than that. Tatarsamich switched from the available HH cast unit, to the hideous horseshit hoses for a reason. He's interested in the PAW style unit with different placement for a reason. And the reason is not because of a supercharger even though that paw unit is.

BigDTexasKid likes this.
  16. 55willys

55willys

It seems that this would be good to cast. I need the critical measurements to make a pattern. Why other than a blower is it needed? Is there different lengths due to deck height of the block and other factors? I am ready and willing to make it if you guys can give me measurements.

17. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I would like to see someone make carb flame arrestors that are of the quality of the ones that Nicson produced...... Last Flathead Intakes 2016 008.JPG

chiro likes this.
  18. All I have is a stock one, that would be good just for the mounting hole relationship and the offset in heads. But it's a start.

I'm 98.5% certain the same crossover fits on both tall deck 392, And low deck 331-354 heads provided the corresponding heads are on the corect corresponding tall and low deck blocks.
    Mopar moved the water out lets on the heads for each. Variables in fitting are low deck heads on tall blocks or visa versa.

19. 55willys

55willys

Are you willing to take the measurements from that for me? I am not well versed in what fits what on Hemi's so the guys here will have to be the ones to say what fits what. Maybe make one for blower application first, then others if needed for head swap low/high deck.

20. 55willys

55willys

Those are nice, are they sand cast or die cast?

21. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did something like this on the Weiand dual quad manifold on the '54 New Yorker in my dirt car. I used regular copper tubing and brass fittings. It looks a little "agricultural", but it probably is "traditional" as the parts were available back in the day. When I built mine, I used "T"'s over the front intake water ports and extended the water lines to the back intake water ports. I have had both the dual quad and 4 duece version of this intake, and they both had 4 intake water ports. I agree that the red AN fittings look out of place, and wonder why someone would go to this effort and not plumb the rear intake water ports.

BigDTexasKid likes this.
  22. Since we've also had to use that alternator mount (hoping we may be able to switch to the lower one) the belt hit the water neck and we couldn't use it. I think if we had a crossover that had the neck on top instead of on the front, then it would work.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

31Vicky with a hemi likes this.
  23. Bingo*^^ another reason

Categorized under doesn't fit or Doesn't work or not compatible but it's deeper than the color of the fittings

24. 55willys

55willys

The PAW one will fit for sure in all instances? I can see that the 90 degree elbow sticks out quite far and would cause issues.

BigDTexasKid likes this.
  25. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

They appear to be die cast....

BigDTexasKid likes this.
  26. alchemy

alchemy

27. all instances? Meaning all right?

I'd say nothing will fit in "all" situations except that hotmess hose crap. The PAW unit works in almost "all" instances, but it was special design for supercharger.

What's excluded from fitting would be tall deck heads on low deck blocks, low deck heads on tall deck blocks and HH aftermarket aluminum heads. And then the owners free will of wanting an accessory right where the hose outlet is.

28. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

29. 55willys

55willys

So if it is made identical to the PAW unit it would work in most cases including blower applications? What specific engines are we talking about here? I want to make it and have access to some Hemi's that I can take measurements and test fit on. Like I said before I don't know what fits what with Hemi's so I am relying on the HAMB here.

30. Yes
    Chrysler hemi 1955 and up 331 354, 392

Attached Files:

BigDTexasKid likes this.