Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Hot rod parts you would like to see produced.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 55willys, Nov 27, 2016.

1. 55willys

55willys

I have spent countless hours on the HAMB and have gained much knowledge and idea's here. I am sure that many others feel the same way. In fact the HAMB helped me push through with my plan's of manufacturing my own part's.

I like the idea that information is shared and helpful tips are given. I am interested in seeing what hot rod parts you would like to see manufactured or improved upon. I have developed a few things and would like to develop more. Mostly I am looking for ideas to help the hot rod world be a better place.

I also like to make everything right here in the USA. So far I have made wide five adapters, remote fill master cylinder kit's, and am working on a number of brake conversion kits.

Thanks for your input, Jim Ford.

2. Jim: It's hard to sit and think about what you may need vs all the reproduction parts available. The thing that comes to mind is reasonably priced door hinges and truck hinges. I realize there are hundreds of different types of both items but currently not much competition among suppliers.Tim

Texas Webb likes this.
  3. 55willys

55willys

Door hinges could be made in bronze. There is a host of poorly made hot rod parts and accessories available that are mostly made overseas. If there is something that is fairly straightforward that can be made here of higher quality, these are the things I am looking for.

4. I'd like to see someone make a 32 Ford 5 window fiberglass body that accepted all the steel re-pop parts that are available. Meaning, stock steel firewall, stock hinges, swing out windshield, steel cowl vent and steel drip rails. All of which you can buy now.

You could offer it in stock height or 2 1/2 inch chop with a filled or open roof that accepted a factory wood kit.

Just build one body with only a few mods for an additional price and that's it.

But, build it so nice the resto weenies on Ford barn couldn't tell it from a stock one standing next to it.

Price it under $10 grand shipped.

I think they would sell consistently and guys like us wouldn't have to hack up original tin or take out a second mortgage to buy a $23k Brookville body.

n.z.rodder likes this.

5. Quality repair parts for all the windshield regulators comes to mind, maybe floor pan patch panels without a 2+ year wait for stock good quality ones.

6. A little off topic but cool as can be.
    Make the pad drill-able to fit what ever.
    Double bonus if you can hit the price point :)

image.jpeg

fauj, AHotRod, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Pines Winterfront grill insert for 32 Ford that appear original but blue collar priced.
    Made comparable to a Dales Mfg insert, not like those cheap offshore repop grill inserts.

falconsprint63 likes this.
  8. Brake caliper mounts that look like this for our 37-41 spindles.

image.jpeg
    Some calipers that kinda sorta match at least a little bit
    Oh and that the narrow track width not push it out.
    image.jpeg

Not this :eek: image.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    55willys likes this.
  9. Trick old school looking engine mounts
    image.jpeg

timwhit likes this.
  10. H380

H380
    from Louisiana

Flathead V8 block with updates.

11. A simple and graceful steering wheel adapter
    Like this
    image.jpeg

Not this
    image.jpg

But a bonus for quick release

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SBC 4-71 manifold.

Torkwrench, mad mikey, lewk and 6 others like this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Open and closed driveline adapters seem to be in some demand.

Closed trans to open
    Closed rear to open

Open trans to closed

BigDTexasKid and 55willys like this.
  14. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

1942-48 Buick Super Roadmaster tail lights.

verde742 and falcongeorge like this.
  15. Inside header panels for 34 ford closed cars

BigDTexasKid and timwhit like this.
  16. Clik

Clik

Can we see the remote fill master cylinder set ups you make?

55willys likes this.
  17. #1. Affordable Copy of the Stewart Warner Bronze Cast 2-Piece Ford Flathead V/8 90-Degree Angled Tach Drive Bracket & with collar for Mechanical Drive. The Mechanical angle Drive are available.
    #2. Why can't Someone make a Stainless Steel Die Stamped 1931-1933 Auburn Dash Panel! The Stock Holes Sizes For Speedo one Hole 3-1/2, Two Holes for 2-5/8 Gauges, 2 Holes For 2-3/8 Gauges. The Drawn is only about 3 Inches Deep.
    #3. Reproduce the Auburn 100 MPH & 120 MPH, 5,000 RPM, 8,000 RPM Tach Faces, all 2-5/8 & 2-3/8 Water Temp, Fuel, Gas, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, Amp Gauge, & a Late Modern 12-18 Volt Gauge Faces for modern 12-Volt Cars, With Black Ground and White Letters & Numbered Replacement Gauge Faces?The Man, on EBay that Sells Piper Cub Airplane Gauge Face Dials Parts. Which were Original Stewart Warner Tach's, etc...Says, he does Custom Orders?That would be a Good try? but this is a Start!
    #4. I Love 33-39 Ford Deluxe Speedo's, That have 999 Mile Tripodmeters. But, I Want the 33/34 Change to 100 MPH,120 MPH. Make the Background Black with White #'s & Letters like Auburn Speedo's. Also, Do the Exact same to the 35-39 Fords 100 MPH & 120 MPH Speedo Faces. Have The Ford Script Oval on them.
    #5 I Love Stewart Warner Duplex 2-3/8 Gauges. That's what is Needed for 1932 -1933 Ford Panels, with the Above Mentioned Gauge Faces to Match. But, You Need to make a Custom 32/33 Ford Stock Style Dash Insert that is Like a Back Mount Gauge Panel Engineered Like a Stock 1932/33 Ford. Enlarge the Holes to 2-3/8's with .005 Clearance. Make a Custom Back Bracket mount, Like OEM Ford did for 32/33. Make a Die, to punch the Dash insert. Put the Rear Gauge Holding bracket behind Dash. Then use to die to go thru the Hole,& Fold over the Metal to lock the Gauge Bracket to the Dash Insert.
    6# We need to have Someone to Step up & Reproduce the Stewart Warner Duplex 2-3/8's Gauges. The Case is only about a 2-inch Draw, The Bubble Glass is Available from Scott's of Hemmings Motor News. I'm sure there's Some Manufacture of Gauge components to Step up & Supply the Gauge internal Hardware. Why? Would Someone want to do this & Spend the $$$ to do so? Money Maker. $$$ Think about it. I Love Old 30's, 40's , 50's Stewart Warner Style Gauges.But, Hot Rods with a Straight 6, 8, or 10 Gauges look only Great at a Car Show or @ the NATS! Their Dangerous when Driving in Daylight or Nitelife. You can't Properly Read those Gauges Driving. Period! Is Your Life & Family Worth it? Or some-one else's Life? Your Hot Rod? Hell NO! I know I've lost a Few of You, & I apologize for comming off as Preachy, But, let's face it's A Big Problem, that needs some Serious Discussion from Fellow Hot Rodders & HAMBER'S. So, What say You Guy's?
    7# 1932, 33/34, Stock Ford Steering Wheels, 35/36 Banjo Spoke Steering Wheels, & Horn Rods. I've kept Calling Bob Drakes, & Talking to one of his Young Parts Order Squirrels.( Sorry Bob). There was a Time, he did have People Listen! From what I was told they only made (2000) & took them 20 Years to sell. An there not going to make them again! Period! Have You seen what Bob's Repo Wheels are Selling on Evil-bay? $600. & Up, if & When they rarely are Listed now Days. Bob made them in 1980, when Li' John Buttera & Reed Liard was making Billet Aluminum Parts. So, it wasn't hot then & into the Mid-90's. So, that's when 30's & 40's Salt-Racing took off. He & his Staff doesn't understand this, & was, is Thinking of the Early V/8er's. I ask about this around 2000. They said the Molds were misplaced in Tiwain & would Properly need to Refinished & Cleaned up to use? If Someone, like Dennis Carpenter could shake it loose from Bib's Org. Then, We might have them available again @ Affordable $$$ Price?
    8# Kinmont Brakes, I lent my Spare's Brakes to Someone for 15 Years, & it NEVER Happened! So, I Got Them Back, LESS Some PARTS! Never Do that AGAIN! So, Don't Expect Re-pop Kinmont Brakes! Sorry, GUY's! I Tried. Cause, I'm not in best of Health, couldn't Afford to wait if I Passed Suddenly. No, Mechanism to make sure, My family would get them back!
    #9. Original Stewart Warner 3-1/2 Tach Mount Bracket to 1932-1948 Fords & 1932-1956 Ford Pickup Stock Steering Columns. But, Make the Bracket out of Stainless Steel!
    #10. Reproduce the 1933 Ford & Early 1934 Ford Chrome Plated Dash Insert Gauge Panel Trim. But, make it out of Stainless Steel. These are getting almost Impossible to Find, & When you Do find them! They're Prohibitive Very Expensive!
    #11. Stock 1937 Ford Pickup/Big Truck Right Handed Only Reading MAP Light. This was Only a Deluxe Pickup/Big Truck Option. This was a Panel that was Made to hold a Glass Lens with S/S Lens Trim. It had a Off/On Switch. This was mounted on the Right Windshield Cover Panel. The Cover panel was a Die Stamped Cut-Out that held the Map Light Assembly. They only made a Right Side Panel. Why not make a Driver Side Panel? Also, Why not use these on 1935 & 1936 Pickup/Big Trucks? What not make Mounting Panels for 1938 thru 1947 Pickup/ Big Trucks? And use the Basic Original 1937 Map Light Assembly ? About 16 or 18 Years or so, Bob Drake Visited the Southwest Nationals at the Texas Motorplex Speedway. I meet him Inside the Exhibitor Building. I introduced myself. I told him, I knew his Dad (Bev). I meet Bev at the Old Pate Swap Meet located in Cresson, Tx. I'd sit & Talk to Bev for Hours, He love to Come to Texas, & go to the Byron Nelson Classic Golf Tournament in Dallas, & Ben Hogan Colonial In Fort Worth. He'd come to Pate Swap meet, Bev was a BIG Golf Fan & his two Favorite Golfers back in the 40's & 50's. I'd sit & Help Him Assembly Their 1940 Deluxe & Standard Grills. We talk about him working on cars, Bob's interest & Owning Early Ford Cars & Lincoln's Back in Wisconsin & California. I'd meet Bob back in the early 70's. He'd came by Stacy Brown's Antique Auto Supplies on Colorado Ave. He had just came out his Cardboard Glove Box Inserts & Locking Gas Caps. This was how Bob got started. Anyway, I told Bob all this, then I shifted the Conversation to the 1937 Ford a Pickup S/S Pickup Grill Trim, the 1937 Ford Deluxe 1/4 S/S Hood Side Trim. I told him about a Idea I had of Cars & Trucks Hoods locking up due to Rusty Hood Hinges, then the idea for the Deluxe Map light. He made the S/S Hood Rod, S/S Grill & Hood Trim. He didn't make the Map Reading Light.So, Bob does Listens to his Customers! Most people, unless your Connected thru the Early Ford V/8 Club, Like I was thru the Nolan Cason Former President. He had a 1937 Ford Deluxe Stake-Bed Pickup (Rare) & a 1937 Ford Deluxe Panel Delivery. All were Optioned with Deluxe Features, Commerical 1937 Radio's, Commerical Glove Box Clocks, Commerical Bumper Guards, Front & Rear, Factory Chrome Grills, Deluxe S/S Windshield Trim, etc. I Learned all this from Nolan Cason, as I'd have 2- 1937 Ford Deluxe Panel Delivery's back then in Sulphur Springs,Tx. I guess? What I'm Saying that Net- working with People over the Years, & communicating thru the HAMB & HAMBER's, We can Address Items of Our needs of Desirable Parts for the Car & Trucks!
    #12. 1953/54 Dodge Hemi Valve Covers Were Die Stamped or Embossed with DODGE & Script W/ (Red Ram). 1955/1956 Dodge NEVER made Embossed Valve Covers for 270 Valve Covers. But, was the only 2 Years to have Dimpled Valve Covers for Adjustable Lifters. Can Someone make a Die & Stamp the Dimples in the 53/54 DODGE W/Script (RED RAM) Valve Covers. You would have to make a Locater Jig to make sure it Stamp in the Correct Location. Also, on sending Your Valve Covers! Don't Exchange them, with Others People's Valve Covers! Back in the MiD-70's, a GUY in Texas sent a Wood Pallet load with Stock Ford Axles To be Dropped. Almost every Guy Didn't get his Original Axle. It was a Cluster F***!!! I'm Glade it didn't send mine to those Guy's in San Fran!!!
    13# Please Reproduce the 1930-1931 Lincoln KB V/8 3-Piece Distributor Cap & Top Cover Plate. These are used for the Kong Distributor for Ford Flathead V/8's. I was told by a Lincoln restorer that someone at one time has made these Reproduction years ago. But, only one Person has Control of the Inventory, of that Production Run. We need to find if the Tooling is Available?
    #14 I Need the Halibrand H-101 Lower 6-Splined Shaft, Upper Shaft That Connects to the Pinion Gear. (Found & Purchased From Hot Rod Shop, ID.)I don't even know the Length Measurements For either of the Two Shafts. I'm using The Stock 1932 Ford Rear-end in my Rare 1932 Ford Roadster Pickup. I heard that KiWi Quick-change from New Zealand is Suppose to be Making a Re-pop of the H-101 Aluminum Rear. I've got the Stock H-101a Case. I'd been Nice if Someone Made a 3-inch Finned Side Bell's (Halibrand brand Dud Make at one Time Finned Side Bells, Saw on eBay for Sale) I lost the Bid! Still looking! To slip in the 3-inch Tube Axles.
    #15. I've got a Pair of Aluminum Brake Drums with insert Steel Brake Liner. The Outer Radius of the Brake Drum has 5- Row Finns on the Outer Radius Brake Drum. This Pair of Brake Drums came off of a Large 1950's Sprint Car. The Hubs are Threaded Steel with 6-Pin Studs & Aluminum Halibrand Pressure Plates, & Halibrand Tri-bar Knockoffs. No Drum Backing Plates. I purchase these from acquaintance 20 odd years ago, at the old Pate Swap-meet. These Definitely aren't Halibrand. I'm thinking Maybe Nance? I'm told by many old timer Halibrand People, they never made Drum Brakes likes theses. I Agree. This setup would be Great for Open Wheel Hot Rods! Lower cost that a Kinmont Brakes Car. (Which I've a Full Set & a-half). If I knew how to post Pictures of these Aluminum Brake Drums, I would do so. I know these would sell, if Someone made the Drums & Bendix Type Backing Plates.

Best Regards Respectfully Dereald Millsap call any time Day/Nite. Leave Message.
    (903) 952-1933.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
    mad mikey and Atwater Mike like this.
  18. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

Here in N.Z we are no longer allowed to split wish bones and weld in plugs/bungs for the rod ends to screw into, so some cool cast split bones would be good thanks.

Scotty

19. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

verde742 likes this.
  20. 55willys

55willys

Wow lots of great idea's.

21. clem

clem

I didn't know that.
    I am currently doing some fine tuning on mine.
    I am curious as to why plugs can't be used.
    After all the original wishbones are essentially made in the same way.

22. Baby Moon hubcaps to fit early (inside clip style) Mopar wheels.

tinsled and Atwater Mike like this.
  23. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

I would second this

verde742 and jackalope like this.
  24. Clik

Clik

Lower firewall corner patch panels for Henry J's

25. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Maybe take a look at some of the stuff Dick Spadaro was supplying. His passing left a big void in the Hot Rod world.

bondolero, AHotRod and 55willys like this.
  26. How about some Sheet Metal Parts for 49-50-51 Mercury
    Cars
    Nobody Makes them & there are a Lot of them on the Road
    That are Not out of Prices that are on the Moon.!

Just my 3.5 cents
    or when the Cows
    Come Home

Squablow likes this.
  27. Just go through the Speedway catalog and reproduce in the USA all the cheap Chinese knock offs they sell.

28. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Saxman and s55mercury66 like this.
  29. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

1935 Pontiac tail lights.

30. 55willys

55willys

I am making the wide five adapters that he was doing with some improvements. To see them just click on the red highlighted ripkustoms in my sig file.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016