Register now to get rid of these ads!

hot rod magazine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sic-nic, Apr 1, 2012.

1. sic-nic

sic-nic

when was the first issue of hot rod magazine issued? any help would be great.

2. bobbyfox

bobbyfox

January 1948

3. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin
    from Some Beach

[​IMG]

Be careful if you see one for sale. It has been reprinted and some people have tried to profet from selling the reprint as an original.

Lost_N_Austin

4. sic-nic

sic-nic

thanks for the info. i have'nt seen one. i did come across a bunch from 1960 in great condition i think i might buy them.

5. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

And that cover car was a dual purpose car: It ran at the lakes and also on the round tracks. By the time the magazine came out, that beautiful nose had already been smashed and replaced with a '33 DeSoto (The car was "fugly" at that point). In the spring of '48 Reggie Schlemmer (owner/builder) brought it to the Midwest to run against Hurricane and Mutual roadsters and sold it to a guy from Muncie, IN. The car seemed to fall off the edge of the earth by 1949.

6. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Hot Rod did reprints of the first two years back in the 90's.

7. sic-nic

sic-nic

Does anyone know the going rate on buying these mags from '60-'63?

8. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

There have been two different sets of reprints that I'm aware of - one set was the same size as modern HRM magazines and the was the actual size of the originals (which were larger than 'standard' magazine size.)

Going rate at local swap meets for 1960-1963 issues seems to be anywhere from $2 to $5 or so, depending on condition. I see people trying to sell them for more than that, but they usually take them home unsold at the end of the day.

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I have the first six issues in the original size reprints then original mags through 1958.
    I do have a ragged original of the Feb or Mar issue.
    The first reprints were of the first six months only as they have always been the hardest issues to find.

10. I usually see Hot Rod, Car Craft, etc. from the 60's for about $5.00 each at swap meets.

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Why the hell would you put a SBC on the cover of a reprint of magazines printed 7 years before the SBC was born? Nobody noticed that?? I'll never get over that.:D

I do like the home made generator mount that was a classic in the late 50s. POWA...Pre One Wire Alternator.:D

12. I think Throttle preceeded Hot Rod for a few years maybe before the war. Someone will jump in and straighten me out.

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

That '32 is wrong for 1948, of course, but it does have heritage...it was the cover car (front AND back!) of the great old Petersen book circa 1960 on Speed tuning. Does anyone know whose car it was? The look suggested an earlier rod with an SBC swapped in and a recent rather cheap metallic paint job to update the look...