Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Hot Rod Magazine 9/13

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tfeverfred, Jul 7, 2013.

1. rixrex

rixrex

It is the best issue in a long time, I subscribe, and I prefer the coffee beans that have been through a Sumatran raccoon..

2. a990hemi

a990hemi
    from Wisconsin

This most recent edition of Hot Rod magazine took me on a wonderful memory trip back to the 80s and early 90s when Hot Rod was the gear head's Bible. Gray Baskerville's witty journalism taught me how to read and write well ...Lil John Buttera and Boyd Coddington inspired me to become a professional toolmaker and aerospace fabricator ...Scott Sullivan's ultra clean and subtle builds were timeless and still look fresh today. Those were the days and hopefully Hot Rod will view all of this positive feedback here at the H.A.M.B. and create another renaissance revival for the magazine.

The feature about Buttera, Boyd and the creation of Vern Luce's '33 coupe really did it for me. Buttera was a genuine genius and I doubt that the hot rodding community will ever encounter another member with such great influence as him. His fenderless Mopar Indy Weslake motored '32 3 window was the very first street rod to blow my mind, I must've been 10 years old at that time and have been deeply entrenched in gearheadism ever since.
    [​IMG]

Just Gary likes this.
  3. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Hey, I have to agree, best issue in a long time.

4. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

At less than a buck an issue I subscribe and alway feel I get my money worth when sitting on the thinking chair. But this issue they really got some wood on the ball.

5. olpaul

olpaul

I think they were at Viva LV this year. About time ..;)

6. He was one of my main influences when I was first getting started. I wish he would post up more often on here. Amazing talent.

John Buttera was my other influence. I remember sneaking my Hot Rod magazines into my homeroom class and drooling all over the badass stuff he was whittling out. I'm proud to say that I loved the initial phase of the Billet Movement, back when it was craftsman like John Buttera building amazing stuff out of aluminum. When billet parts became commonplace and were sold by every parts house in the country, I hated it. To me, it was a slap in the face to the innovators who built their parts out of passion, and not corporate dollars.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  7. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

John Buttera was a major factor in me wanting to become a machinist instead of an auto mechanic. Wish I could have met him. The White '33 Willys he did for Mr. Gasket in the Eighties was simply incredible and those wheels . . . . I don't even know what to say except for "those wheels, those wheels!".

Just Gary likes this.
  8. slammed

slammed

Scott was flamed by some lame-o's one too many times. Freakin' No-bodies at that. In my photo albums I will post a tubbed '77 Chevy Truck that was Scott influenced. Clean, smooth low and driver. BB OLDS powered to boot. Both Buttera & Sullivan built a lot of stuff at home in a small shop. That is another 'ruler' vote right there.

Just Gary likes this.
  9. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did a post about this issue a couple of days ago.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=502186&showall=1

One of our local HAMBers is Frank Morawski. This link is to the restoration of the Carrillo Roadster which is the little yellow roadster on the cover. There is also a great 4 page article starting on page 44 about the car. I might be a little biased as I got to help with the restoration but it was great to see it back on the cover of Hot Rod.......last time was September 1952

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

+1Even with all the good coffee houses we have around here the brewed coffee is usually the best tasting stuff they have rather than the fancy stuff.

That issue was waiting on the side table when I got home last night and does have a lot of interesting stuff in it.

11. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

YEP this issue of HOTROD is a gud one.it took a lot of us down memory lane and hope it encourages others to go foreward with their own ideas. am looking foreward to the Nov. issue on the E&B sedan. was also glad to read the article bout Guy Ruchonnets 34 coupe.i am glad i resubscribed........................

12. like "Mike" said...please don't believe all you read....another reason those that were there don't talk much about those days....some how it will get glossey'd up...or screwed up all together....

saw my buddy had the issue on the desk at his shop today....given' him and his dad a few days with it before I take a view...

what's the old sayin' - when they re-write history - we hope they get it right this time....

13. ...one of the best articles in this issue for me was on "The Boss" 39 Studebaker coupe gasser; always loved that car, this re-creation is superb. The mag is worth the price for that article alone!

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

True, but if the old guys don't say anything when it's being recorded wrong, how does that help the future? Maybe what's wrong is a lot of old guys are hoarding history and knowledge. If that's the case, we'll be hot rodding electric cars in no time. Me? I'm not ready for that, so I'll take what I can get and research the source and info.

15. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Six scoops and fill with water to the 4 cup line. It all fits in my favorite coffee cup. I do take the edge off a little with cream and sugar. Mmmm high test...

I read Hot Rod this morning on the throne after drinking my coffee. Great issue. :D

16. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Outstanding issue. Personally, I love Freiburger, he ain't fenced in with arbitrary parameters. He lets it all hang out, with both hands tied behind his squirming back by his corporate bosses. Would like to see someone else try to do a better job amid the big corporation restraints.

Having said that, what else are you gonna read in the way of a magazine (besides TRJ and KI)?

17. slammed

slammed

Traditional Rod and Culture is a fine magazine as well.

18. Nobey

Nobey

Your absolutely right Mike. In 1951 the original six members were,
    Mike Nagem, Andrew Ortega, Carlos Ramirez, Bill Gavin, Louie Najera,
    and Harold Miller.
    It's okay though, it happens to the best of us........

19. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, I sent my congrats for a great issue, unfortunately, this was a special deal. Maybe they'll get the hint by sales, but in a world of dollar signs, it'll be back to 2013 Corvettes and Camaros next month. But at $1 an issue, I can deal with it.

Now, R&C needs to start redoing the Little Books.

20. Best issue in a long time and lots of my favorite cars from over the years. It is just like the 65th anniversary show, it is a once in a lifetime occasion. The east coast misses a lot of this stuff and the mag is a window into the scene just like the old days. I have griped a lot about the Mag in the recent past, but this one was out of the park, good.

21. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

As long as there are twenty somethings here on the HAMB with a milk crate full of "little books" to tell us how it was "back in the day", there's no point in adding our two cents.

Back on point, that issue was probably the best one yet.

22. 5window

5window

It's a pretty good issue-they've been getting better-some of the interviews with Originals are very interesting and there's always something worth a buck-but I trade mags with a neighbor-so make that 50 cents.

23. I used to keep every issue of Hot Rod and a couple others but due to space limitations now I keep at least one for every year, sometimes more, but they have to be exemplary. This issue is a keeper. I'm even thinking of buying a few and gifting them to some of my non-car clueless friends.