Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hot Rod Institute

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 440+6, Jul 10, 2018.

1. goldmountain

goldmountain

Find something that has absolutely to do with hamb related cars. We are the old guard and technology has left us in the dust. Sure, there are guys doing great with their Wyotech training, but they are doing work for rich old guys and these old guys are dying off. Check the Hamb obituaries. As for new cars, China is going the route of switching to electric. Don't train for a dead end. Research which way the world is turning and plan accordingly. A lot of the advice offered so far is for the world as we see it so far, and the crystal ball is not that clear. Let the hot rods be a hobby.

2. My old man always told me this. I work on so much crap now that I don't feel like working on my own stuff.

I have worked mechanical trades all my life. Everything from Machinist to HVAC. It has always been easy for me, and it allowed me to be mobile. I can say this, I have enjoyed working on cars and motorcycles way more when I was not earning my living doing it.

If advice is what anyone is looking for find something that you can live with that doesn't take all of your time. Make a good living and let your hobbies be your hobbies.

3. Like someone said above, you don't want a job, you need a career. What you need to find is something to give you a retirement and good health insurance. I don't know that working for a hot rod shop will get you that. Plenty of other trades like plumbing or electrician that can get you there if you go with the right company.

4. Or the right union. ;)

I can say this I spent my life living a life as opposed to making one. I have enjoyed it to the max but I have absolutely nothing to show for it but good memories and social security. Social security isn't much but it is more then todays youth has to look forward to. They claim that it will not last as long as I do. A young person needs to find something that will leave them with something when they get old.

46international likes this.
  5. If you're good, passionate about hot rods and classic cars and have a good work ethic (seems like the perfect person). You shouldn't have any problem finding a job. Hot Rod & Custom shops all over the country are busy and short handed. But I'll say it again, you must have a passion for it.