Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Hot rod in Mr Hobbs Takes a Vacation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scibjenkins, Jan 6, 2013.

1. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

I was watching this movie called Mr Hobbs Takes a Vacation. The beatnik character in the movie has a 32 roadster. Anybody know anything about this car? Looks to have a 265 sbc.

Attached Files:

2. firingorder1

firingorder1

The beatnik character was Fabian. Pop singer from the 60s. Hadn't note in his head but that didn't seem to matter back then.

3. The beatnik is Fabian,,a 50's and 60's singer.

As far as the roadster,,I can't help. HRP

4. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

Yeah, that guy can't sing a song to save his life. The girl in the movie put him to shame with her pipes. I was shocked to find out that people actually bought his records, let alone made records.

5. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

YA! We actually did buy his records and went to his movies and watched his TV shows and all that stuff you younger guys think were just the pits. Somebody had to blaze the trail so you'd know right from wrong! When you reach 67 I want you to remember the trails you blazed and have to listen to the young people drag it thru the muck! Think about it!

i.rant and kiwijeff like this.
  6. Harms Way

Harms Way

Yep,..... SBC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  7. Shocked?,,no way lady gag gag shocks me!

Yes,it seems our generation don't know anything! :confused: HRP

8. Harms Way

Harms Way

9. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

That's funny as hell that you posted - I watched that movie tonight too , and was going to post about the hot rod too , lol !

10. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

:D Good old TCM. My dad turned me on to this channel.

11. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

I wouldn't mind if the guy could sing... I'm not saying I haven't listened to my fair share of crap thinking it was the bee's knees, but good looks and a name like "Fabian" can get you a long way!

12. Pa G.

Pa G.
    from CT

Same car showed up on Alfred Hitchcock presents,possibly in an Elvis flick, and definitely in an episode of Lassie where Tommy Ivo played its owner/driver. Somewhere I have the Lassie ep on VHS. No rocket on the side on any of these. The front of the car can be seen in post #25 of the Vintage Photo Roadster thread. It's a screen capture from the Lassie ep.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  13. Deuces

Deuces

lady who????....
    Think I need to throw up....:eek::(:(

14. metal man

metal man

That was Tom Mcmullen's roadster. I don't think the one we are looking at here is the same car.

15. metal man

metal man

Here is a shot of Tom's car on the set of Lassie. This one is all different.

Attached Files:

16. Harms Way

Harms Way

It was in Alfred Hitchcock Presents (good eye)

[​IMG]

And in Lassie !!!! Along with the McMullen Roadster

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  17. metal man

metal man

HaHa. I never figured there would be TWO of them that similar in a movie about a dog:eek:. That is the same car for sure.

18. metal man

metal man

I prefer the '29 roadster with the bobbed rear fenders, roll hoop, and flathead. That thing looks great!

19. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

SWEET! Yeah, I'm a sucker for 29's myself... I gotta go find those clips now. I like the way they blacked out the wheel wells on the 32. May be I just never noticed that on other cars, but seems kinda unique to me.

20. I thought Fabian couldn't sing too, until I saw him perform with Bobby Vee a couple of years ago. I was amazed how good his voice is. He is also a genuine nice guy. Who new?

21. Pa G.

Pa G.
    from CT

Ok,so I havent seen the Lassie ep in a very long time,but I was absolutely sure that the gray roadster and Tommy Ivo were both in it. Did it play Tom's car or was he in the Mcmullen deuce? Now I'm doubting my memory and driving myself nuts. I also seem to remember in the Hitchcock show it was used as a device to provide a backfire noise. Hey,this stuff's important y'know.

22. bustingear

bustingear

Doesn't matter today either.

23. NDRTANGMAN1932

NDRTANGMAN1932

fabian only made a few records but his looks was what hollywood wanted at that time. he was a fair actor and had the teenage look. he still sang better than some of the stars.

24. I like the rocket artwork.

25. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Fabian was also in the movie North to Alaska with the "Duke" himself, John Wayne. Damn good film at the time.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

need louvers ? likes this.
  26. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

It was 1960. Elvis was in the army, Jerry Lee Lewis was in disgrace, Buddy Holly and the Big Bopper were dead. The music industry was starving for new talent.

That sound you hear in the background of Fabian's records is the bottom of the barrel being scraped.