Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods ***Hot Rod Idiosyncrasies (What are your favorite things about old cars?)***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Phil Stevens

Phil Stevens

the smell of an "Uncle Daniel" original, there's nothing like it

2. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some of you know I restore for a living and truth be told, some of the stuff y'all mention I take somewhat for granted. Cloth wire and early hose clamps are standard fare, smells and sounds are taken as "normal". But there are things, many almost never seen, that really turn my crank. One of my favorites is the retaining method of under dash wiring. Early cars have thread tied in lineman's knots, later there was simple metal bands wrapped around the bundle, later yet was what I call a metal zip tie that was slotted on the end and the tapered end passes through the slot and bends over. Maybe 1 in 100 will ever see it but I feel good that it's as it was.

I really like to cypher through how things were engineered on a part by part basis. Another one that sticks with me is an interior light switch on a Packard (and other fine makes). In their zeal for things to be smooth and quiet a hardwood wheel was incorporated on the end of a toggle lever. The wheel simply pushes a brass strip down on a contact, all built on a phenolic base and covered in lacquered heavy paper. Kool to the tenth power. A silent switch.

And transmission noises? Oh yes. I love it. On many of the cars I do, a fully syncro'd trans is in place and that whine is missing, but every once in a while I get an early one in that needs a drive. Recently a 30 Packard sedan with a creeper gear in it as well. I felt like I was in an old Cagney gangster flick as each gear wound out. Any fan of old movies knows EXACTLY the sound I mean. Different than what we're used to. Almost dialed in for maximimum effect and it's because the damn things are so big they sound like that. I'll think of more I'm sure.

3. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I really enjoy the absolute absence of plastic.

4. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

The glow of real glass tail lights. 6 volt horns. Cowl vents. Prewar radio dials at nite.

5. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

A good RAKE. weather it's dumped in front, or Jacked in back, (Hijackers) or even better yet, a nice Rubber Rake, with Big N' Littles. Makes most any car look instantly better.

6. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

goes faster too, you are always going downhill :D

7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I like to see the thread tied in Lineman's knots. I'm a huge fan of wax coated thread to hold the primary wires in and engine bay together. I;ve been looking for some ever since I read the TRJ article on the Walker Morrison roadster.

8. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

The feeling of the air hitting my legs from the cowl vent in my '56 F100. Reminds me of going deer hunting with my dad when I was a kid in his old Apache's and C-10's with the side vents open all the way to the ranch.

9. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Great thread JJ!!
    Im always looking at the simple things in my 54 like the slide lock on my vent windows and think what a killer simple and mechanical way of making that work...or the beautiful big elaberate steering wheels. Things arent like that anymore, its all elec,plastic push buttons or fully automatic, with fake wood grain!

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014

10. Nailed it an all accounts!

11. All I can say to this is AMEN BROTHER!!!!

12. Thanks. It was from the heart.

Not sure if it was said yet but the exhaust smell. The smell of an engine running rich. Nothing today smells like an old car running. Nothing.

Let's keep this one going.

BloodyKnuckles

13. Someone mentioned steering wheels, and I have to agree, I love how one can identify a car by it's steering wheel, and the chrome on the dash and the various classy typeface that was used in the gauge numbering or accessory lettering.

14. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

It would have to be my 5 year old, asking me "Are we going to work on the Hot Rod today?" Even though he just helps with a few things here and there, the fact that he enjoys working on my car with me is awesome. I really love that sound of a trunk, door or hood shutting, that you can actually here it compared to today's cars.

15. GARY?

GARY?

Jeffrey, you can get the waxed cotton string from Restoration Supply Company restorationstuff.com

They have a lot of cool stuff.

16. A BONED

A BONED

I love the way the '39 toploader in my model A coupe pops outta second when you back off the gas.

I love the way you have to kinda guess which way the car gonna go when you hit a patch of crappy road running bias-ply tires.

I love the look of the Merc flatty with it's PM7 dual 97's and big ole generator.

And I absolutely love filling the gas tank on the model A from on top of the cowl in front of the windshield!

17. I have a couple of old trucks, I suppose one of my favorite things are the fact that these old trucks are older than me. Almost 140 years of history between the 2. I want to know how they got the dings, scratches and cracked glass. Who owned them along the way. How were they used in their lives. What were the people like that drove them.
    I love it when someone asked me what color I'm going to paint them when I finish them, I tell everybody, it's taken 69 years to get it to this point, I'm done. They will never be shiny. All the dings, scratches, scabby repair jobs, cracked glass will be there as long as I shall live.
    My favorite thing is the satisfaction of sharing my trucks with everybody, kids, adults, dogs, get in, sit down, touch, feel, smile, take pictures, it's all good.

Attached Files:

18. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

This is a damn good thread.

I love to see the back yard tricks used back in the day, the "do-it yourself for cheap" to get your rod going as fast as it could with all the money you had (not much). I feel that is what makes a true hot rod. Its not what can be bought off the shelf or what the other guy is doing, its using your brain and ingenuity to get the car performing the way you want it, with hand built or modified parts.

19. I like the overall simplicity of old cars. Also, as altered pilot said, the musty smell of old GM car interiors from the early(?) 60's.

20. 64cheb

64cheb

I like the *whuhwhuhwhuh.....whuuuuh* My SM420 makes in my 64 Chevy truck, when downshifting into 2nd. The all steel dash and vents really set it off. whenever I am eating lunch in my truck at school, I feel like it is the 60's again. But sadly, there are Diesel Douchebags and Prius drivers everywhere.

21. Jalopy Jim

Jalopy Jim

On my 54F100 project I installed a New Process 4 speed truck trany because I like the feel of the gears changing you get through the long gear shift lever.

22. My wife and I were watching an old car movie I can't remember which. In the movie a tri five Chevy had the door opened and closed and it made a certain squeal/howl then the clunk as it was closed. I took my wife outside and showed her that my car made the exact same noises when it opened and closed. She couldn't give a shit but it touched me.....

23. wow! and Holy Shit!!

this is all the cool stuff that is lost in the 350/350 crowd.

I'm glad this post came up. I go thru all the posts that tell how to make an old car drive like a new one, then put it on a trailer and drive a truck if your destination.

I don't care how much or little you spend on a car. driving it is the only way to get a return on your investment.

some of my things are coil springs in seats. they are as comfortable as the couch at home. I never have to stop just to stretch my legs.

stopping to let a car cool on cross country drives was a favorite as a kid. got to see and smell the country thru open windows. standing up leaning over the front seat for hours on end. no seat belts (Just dads belt kept us from getting stupid)

learned all the sounds that different cars made. Buick transmissions behind a straight 8 has a howl that you could recognise a block away. later on this all came in handy when sleepers were popular. at a stop light I could tell if a car had a Buick, Olds, Cad Y-block, flat motor or a stovebolt ect. under the hood. could almost tell you the lift and duration of your Cam.
    every dream engine was over camed and carbed. loading up and cleaning out or cleaning plugs at a HAMBurger joint was a way of life. changing a diaphram (SP) in a fuel pump or brushes in a generator using the change in the ash tray (full of cigarette butts) Opening bottles on the bottom of the ash tray or having an opener on the firewall. Church key on the a chain or in my sock.

a set of glasspacks pulling hard in second gear or backing off coming down a hill. a 6 volt starter cranking. double clutching to get back in first gear (unless you had overdrive)
    what I like best is anything short of a rod sticking out of the block can be fixed with a hand full of tools along side of a road. points and plugs were gapped with match book covers (the ones with the striker on the front so you could light up with one hand) I once had a rod knock that I fixed 300 miles from home by dropping the pan and shimming the bearings with cut up beer cans (We had plenty) had to drop it twice got the wrong bearing the first time. used the ice chest to drain the oil and reuse it.
    the basics are what we should enjoy the most. and there was oceans of parts cars in wrecking yards. crate motors were available but not popular.
    nothing like the bounce of buggy springs on a wash board road............Jim

24. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

More stuff...

I like seeing old oil change reminders in door jambs.

I love the vibe that's created by the style of letters and numbers in the gauges.

I like interior chrome, the real stuff in diecast and steel.

I like the different colors of the early engines. It makes a statement.

I like early air cleaner housings. An artform in themselves.

25. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

You mean the mere fact that you can actually see the damn thing in the bay.

And that it doesn't sit sideways. =O)

26. 61 Tx Cat

61 Tx Cat

Yesss!

27. I love the feeling I get when I'm driving my 55 down the street, I look across at the dashboard and * that quick I'm back in an old movie...just cruisin' along...

www.highspeedmotorsports.com

28. With my Merc-it's just driving it and seeing the looks on peoples faces,like it's the first old car they've ever seen.
    With my '38 Pick-up-it's like 3wLarrt said....the sounds of the 3-speed trany as I drive it. The feeling of what it was like to drive, back 70yrs ago.

As far as what the rest of you have mentioned...multi-carb set ups(Casny's Coupe,JustplainJ's Coupe for example).

29. deto

deto

Bloody knuckles... Holy shit man. this thread almost makes me wanna cry. I can't really explain it. My Chevy is guilty of being updated and parked but I promise I will return to the principles I abandoned.

I'm only 26 but I miss the chrome knobs that were worn clean through but constant touching polished the raw material underneath. Analog clocks that you could hear ticking when you climbed in at night before leaving a girls house. Glass fuses. Cable operated choke. Old gas being ran through an old car that had sat for a little while. The gentle increase of gauge lights at night as you give the generator a little more rpm to work with...

We're all sick fucks. You know that right?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

30. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

The combined fragrances of sun baked Mohair, dust and petroleum vapors. Nothing like an unrestored stocker. Patina for your nose! Gary