Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Hot Rod History and Photos Dallas Texas 1949 on -Caddo Mills Drag Races

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KKrod, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Someone from Canada(?) was just looking for info on a '26 or '27 T 50's race car from south Texas on here. Can't find the thread to save my soul now. Got a feeling it might be the same car.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. cracker head

cracker head

That '36 is rad!

3. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

The sun is riz......
    The sun is set......
    And her we are........
    In Texas yet!

Old Trucker's Lament...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

5. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Karl, here is a picture of my 27T roadster at Kerrville airport in Texas July 1953. Completely by chance I got in touch with Jim Govro in Dripping Springs Texas and his mother took this picture at this Alamo Timing meet. JimmyB, yes I am the fellow that purchased the 27T that you were wondering about. The photo I just posted and the pictures that you previously posted are indeed the same car. I am not a novice when it comes to traditional hot rods. I have three rather extensive and detailed builds under my belt and the 27 roadster is under complete restoration back to it's glory days and to what it looked like when it raced in Texas in the early 1950's. Don't worry we will make her look pretty again. From what I have been able to unearth this car has a rather unique and very interesting past history, but I think there is more that we don't know about. I will add more in future posts. As mentioned in a previous post I am looking for any past history on this 27T and if anyone has any information to share it would be greatly appreciated. For now I will add another photo of what the roadster looked like when I brought it back home.

Rolleiflex, kidcampbell71 and AHotRod like this.
  6. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

7. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Karl, I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the two photos of my 27 roadster at Kerrville that you posted. I haven't been able to find any additional information on it in a long time and hit several dead ends. I am very curious to know who owned the roadster when it raced in Kerrville and who is the fellow that is driving it? The second picture I have posted was taken from the top of a step ladder and is how the roadster appeared when the 27 was first unloaded at my shop. This is exactly how I received the car. The Halibrand rear end and the Lincoln brakes were taken off the roadster and sold before I found out about the car. There was no engine or dash. The roadster today has had extensive restoration take place since this photo. The Model A frame has been replaced with another, another Culver City Halibrand rear located and installed, 1941 Lincoln brakes installed back again and all body work completed and the car is now in primer. Another 59A flathead has been built and will soon be placed between the Model A frame rails. I have more photos and I will add them in future posts.

8. I'm glad it is being restored, you definitely were the right person to get the roadster I think a lot of people would have been tempted to leave it how it was and get it running, driving. When you finish the restoration could you do a thread on the roadster I know people would enjoy seeing it.

Stogy likes this.
  9. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

Thanks for posting this .the roots of hot rodding it just doesn't get any better than that.

Stogy likes this.
  10. AHotRod

AHotRod

What amazing history....... we need more of this.
    Thank You to all !

Stogy likes this.
  11. Anderson

Anderson

Pictures from a friend...

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431311221.564312.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431311236.114722.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431311250.002709.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431311150.072018.jpg

Stogy, 40two, Rolleiflex and 10 others like this.
  12. KKrod

KKrod

QuickchangeV8
    It is interesting that all four of the posted pictures from 1953 were taken from almost the same spot. It is great to hear it is under restoration. I messaged you and will send you the two photos I have. Keep the information coming. Surely someone out there knows more about this great car.

Stogy likes this.
  13. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is Dan Evans the Uncle Daniel who built streetrods in the '80's, maybe ? A good buddy of mine had Uncle Daniel in Dallas build a really nice '34 Ford 4dr with the good stuff in it; 350 SBC, Turbo 350, Versailles rearend with factory discs. Just wondered if this is the same dude. He built quite a nice ride. Sorry for the interruption.

Stogy likes this.
  14. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Jimmy B, thank you for the kind words and encouragement. I will try to get a few photos on here of what the car looks like today as we progress on the restoration of the roadster. I am fully aware of your knowledge and your dry lakes memorabilia collection and believe me we are going to put you to the test .You are one of the best historians ( if not the best) on the dry lakes era here on the HAMB. From what I have been told by previous owners of this 27 roadster there is more to this car's history than it's stay in Texas. I have a couple of thoughts and conjectures about this car's prior history that I will share in future posts.

kidcampbell71 and 296ardun like this.
  15. mattheruthless

mattheruthless

It'd be cool to see some of the surviving hot rods from then this weekend at the Texas Nostalgia Nationals

16. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Karl, I have replied to your PM and I would like to personally thank you for your very kind and generous offer. Those two pictures you have will definitely go a long way in the 27 roadster's restoration. I already see a couple of details from your pictures that were not evident in the picture that I posted earlier today. I have some other 1953 photos from Kerrville that Jim Gavro sent out to me and I will share them with you and everyone reading this thread in a future post.

17. QuickchangeV8,

You might try contacting the Gear Grinders car club in San Antonio. They've been a continuously active club since 1951, and their are still a few old timers that might know something about your car. Their website is at http://www.geargrinderssanantonio.com/GG/Home

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

18. Hi Gary,
    you are correct,,,Dan Evans and "Uncle Daniel" are one and the same...Dan is like the rest of us "Old" geezers.retired years ago but we still live and breathe 32s...He does read the HAMB everyday but is not a posting member,,,,
    Bob Wolcott

19. KKrod

KKrod

Kerrville 1953 - Chaparrals Roadster Club members and some others from Dallas.

Kerrville1953800.JPG

kidcampbell71 and stillrunners like this.
  20. KKrod

KKrod

Buddy Anderson (top right - unmarked). Buddy was a member of the Chaparrals.

Kerrville1953b800.JPG

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  21. KKrod

KKrod

QuickchangeV8
    Anything that you want to share or post would be greatly appreciated. As nicely built as the car looks nothing would surprise me. What color do you think it was? White?

Bobby, wish I had of been around Dallas when Uncle Daniel's Old Car Factory was in operation. I heard that some great cars came out of that shop. Charlie Duran's amazing Fake/Huddleston '32 3W comes to mind. Did you know Dan Evans at the time? Where was the shop at?

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  22. [QUOTE="KKrod,

Bobby, wish I had of been around Dallas when Uncle Daniel's Old Car Factory was in operation. I heard that some great cars came out of that shop. Charlie Duran's amazing Fake/Huddleston '32 3W comes to mind. Did you know Dan Evans at the time? Where was the shop at?[/QUOTE]

Karl....Yes I knew Dan even before "Uncle Daniels" shop out on Emerald Ln,very close to the old Chapparell Trailer and the later Custom Automotive..The Huddleston-Fake 3 window raced at Caddo Mills.It was always a very clean unspoiled car..Bob Huddleston also worked with me at Custom. The 3 w
    had several owners after Huddleston-Fake...before Charlie Duran,,"Big Mike Burkhart" was one and Sam Beasley was another..

23. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

24. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Here are the last two photos I have that I received from Jim Govro. They would have been taken in July 1953 as indicated by the inscription on the one picture. I have included more than one shot of each photo because I was taking a picture of a picture and was not sure of the clarity. The one photo shows a 16 year old Jim Gavro with "Tweedy Pie" as how the car appeared in 1953. These pictures were taken by Jim Gavro's mother at Kerrville airport at the July 1953 Alamo Timing Assn. meet. The second photo shows Jim Gavro's 32 roadster "Tweedy Pie" and my 27 T roadster with it's nose just behind Jim's roadster. There is an apparent historical link between the two surviving roadsters that still exist today. I got in contact with Jim Gavro purely by chance. I got in touch with a man that had some vintage flathead parts for sale on the auction site and was from Kerrville Texas. He told me to get in touch with Jim and even gave me his phone number. That is how I managed to acquire these photos. Jim was very surprised to hear from me and he did indeed remember my car. ( The two roadsters actually raced each other and no he didn't remember who won) He found a roll of film that he had stored in his basement in a coffee cup that he was sure had pictures of my roadster. We are fortunate to have these 3 photos that I have posted as mice had chewed up almost all of the roll of film and there were only 3 pictures left on the roll of film that could be saved. I guess some things are just meant to be.

25. agshelby

agshelby

Very cool thread. I cleaned up the photos slightly to show more detail:

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431439127.705908.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1431439159.211414.jpg

Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  26. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Karl the roadster was indeed white. We had the entire body soda blasted (except the deck lid) and you could see the white paint under the red primer colour. As time allows I will post more pictures and tell the full story on my roadster. Believe me there is a lot more to come.

kidcampbell71 and falcongeorge like this.
  27. quickchangeV8

quickchangeV8

Blownfuel, thanks for the tip on the Gear Grinders car club. I will get in touch with them and see if some of the older members remember the roadster. Sometimes you just never know what will turn up.

kidcampbell71 and stillrunners like this.
  28. KKrod

KKrod

Huddleston & Fake coupe

Caddo800.jpg

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  29. KKrod

KKrod

30. KKrod

KKrod

Harry Fake
    FakeCoupe800.jpg

Stogy, kidcampbell71 and AHotRod like this.