Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Heater? Small and Simple?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Clik, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Clik

Clik

Thinking ahead here: I'm gonna need a small, simple heater for my Henry J.

Any input?

This is a utilitarian gasser. Nothing fancy needed.

2. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Sacramento Vintage Ford sells one that is 7"x7"x7.25" and has 2 defroster ports, great little unit!

3. Big D n' snuffy

Big D n' snuffy

try looking for a heater out of a motor grader or similar. they are compact and put out a lot of heat. my dad used one out of a tractor/semi in his Henry J. hope this helps.

4. 117harv

117harv

Heater on a hot rod? here is a thread with alot of info, a search will turn up many more. I like any of the old ones that were accessories back when, an upgrade to 12 volt and a quick restoration and you are good to go.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Steve Moal sells this unit that uses a Vintage Air heater . Works great and easy to install.

Attached Files:

6. inthweedz

inthweedz

I have used a heater unit out of an old english mini in my 32 roadster (mounted under the seat) another one used a early mazda ute heater, and my last one is out of an early model suzuki or daihatsu mini van (cant remember which, but they are both compact units)

7. moefuzz

moefuzz

Your local pick in pull.
    Go down and look at tranny coolers on things like Crown Vics, buses, trucks 4x4's or taxis etc.

[​IMG]

Adapt and plumb it in with rad hose and add a small fan of your choice.

Be creative.

You really don't need a very big radiator/tranny cooler - just something that will match your fan motor.
    As long as there is water running through it and a fan moving air across it you will get heat.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  8. moefuzz

moefuzz

If you don't wanna do it yourself you can spend the money and buy a complete auxiliary tranny cooler like the Flex-o-lite listed here on epay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FAL-Transmi...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5650201c20&vxp=mtr

Total size is 10" X 7 X 3 or 4" thick. Pretty compact by any standards.
    These are small enough to hide under almost any dash and not be seen
    -they don't take up footwell space if you don't want them to.

Hard to see but it looks like the barbed fittings may unscrew allowing for simpler adapting to your 5/8 or ? heater hose.

All you need to do is add a heater switch from an old
    Ford Truck or something....

Summit Racing Part Number: FLX-4190
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  9. impala631

impala631
    from INDIANA

I have small ones from some old Datsun trucks, super simple box style deal,ive also used rear heat units out of newer suv s before when under the dash heater was needed on a budget

10. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Basic heater is pretty simple, just get a matrix from something suitable and put a fan on it, make sure the fan is a blower and put it on the back of the matrix, If you want to go better make a box for it and pipe it to suck in fresh air from somewhere.

11. Clik

Clik

Thanks ya'll. That gets me started. I left the two original defrost ports in the car and will go with a box style to feed them.

12. Old Ford Courier (Mazda) pickups had a neat compact little heater, square box with a core and fan, doors to direct the heat, and defroster connections.

13. Its not the heater so much as defroster moving air accross the windshield is where your thoughts should be headed.......ya can dress for cold but a steamed overfrosted inside windshield is dangerous

14. You don't need a heater you need a defroster. You can bundle up enough for about any weather that you could drive in but you cannot bundle your windshield up enough to keep it clear when you are driving.

Here is an option that i did in my Willys pickup. I used a defroster out of a '53/'54 stude. it has an exposed coil so you get convection heat into te cab and a blower to keep your windshield clear.

It would more than keep you warm in your J and they are pretty easy to come by.

15. Real hot rods don't need heaters use hand warmers, Ha Ha

16. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I'm a pussy. Anyone have a nice, working, vintage hot water type heater for sale for my '33truck? If so, PM me with details. Brrrrrrrrrr. Thanks.

17. I used a cheap heat & air unit under the seat of my '32 pickup,,It puts out enough heat blowing forward to keep the windshield from frosting over. HRP

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Summit has this little one on Ebay if you want new. 370722907657 In the long run that might be a lot simpler than buying a cool little deco one and then having to fuss with converting from six to 12 V and having to worry about the heater core being good.
    One of those small pickup heaters would be good if you can find a good one but around here they are already getting a bit hard to find in most of the wrecking yards.

19. mohr hp

mohr hp
    from Georgia

A company called Amfab makes a little box heater for industrial applications.

20. Moefuzz has it just right, and you can pick up a small 12v computer fan cheap then hide it all in one of those old southwind heaters if you want it to look the part.

21. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

An early Mini heater is okay, small, controls looks nice enough and will do the job and demist your screen (slowly) and throw out a little heat but obviously not that common over there but from the options it looks like your covered with the front.

Something that may also be of interest is the rear of the car and rear screen. I stand corrected on years but i picked up a 57 Chevy (i think) rear window demister unit, basically a small hot air blower. Not much bigger than a speaker and easily hidden it worked as both a demister and heater on the rear parcel shelf. I'm looking for some myself right now as 12v heating source for an early 60's trailer camper i'm playing with.

Just a thought:cool:

22. kelzweld

kelzweld

Will be needing a window demister myself and don't want to run water hoses so what do you guys know of that's a 12 volt compact hot air blower?

23. I stuffed a couple seat heaters (Speedway) under the seat covers in our roadster. Seat is a chopped S10 bench type - next step it to hook them up. Need side curtains and we can get a heater too...

24. Beau

Beau

Computer fans don't push very much air. We have done it.

Your best bet is pulling a core or a trans cooler out of something and making a simple box.

25. mickeymoto48

mickeymoto48

Move to California.

26. Clik

Clik

You guys are right that I mostly need the defrost, and I'm certainly not moving to Cali. Too leftist for me.

27. I used one from a mid 70's Toyota pickup in my 31 Pontiac. Metal case, internal fan, small package. Since the coupe doesn't have insulation and only sketchy weatherstripping, it takes the edge off but doesn't make it hot. That said I've taken some winter trips where it barely took the edge off of the cold. I drove up to Minnesota to be in a World of Wheels show a few years ago in February and it was a COLD ride, all the way from Kansas.

28. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

29. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I picked up this Stewart Warner Southwinds heater at a junk yard for $20. I plan on converting it to water heat and running it in my hot rod. They look cool and are very compact. ImageUploadedByTJJ1356666367.004748.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1356666426.602767.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1356666447.387004.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1356666467.872437.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

30. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

you can wire up a 120-volt converter, and use a blow dryer too. lol. ;-)