Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rod Flatz paint ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sumo, Apr 5, 2008.

1. premium

premium
    from Goergia

i dont get this shit. it seems like this is prolly pretty decent paint. but is "specialty" product. you can go to any paint shop. get the color you want and add flatener for what i would think would be cheeper. but hey i dont know what this cost either. look around!!!!..

2. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Hot Rod Flatz is single stage enamel just like any other single stage. No need to clear it. As far as temps, check the tech sheets for what works best.

Absolutely. From what I've heard, Hot Rod Flatz is only OMNI (made by PPG) single stage with a flattening agent pre-mixed in. It would be cheaper to mix it yourself and you would essentially have the same product minus the hip name.

3. OK, i paint retarded......

but what would have have to order to get something really close to the copper pearl? the only thing i have never really messed with is paint, but gotta learn somehow...
    you can buy it on epay for about 160 for a gallon, hardner, and the reducer, i thought that was cheap...what would my recipe be for buying it seperate? alway up for saving a few bucks...

4. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

It would depend on the paint store. If you have a local jobber, go in and pick out a factory color of your choice. Keep in mind "pearls" and metallics can still be mixed up in single stage although they don't show through as well. Ask him to mix it up in OMNI MTK s/s acrylic urethane. Then tell him you want it flat, eggshell, semi, whatever. A good paint store guy will know what you're asking for and how to do it.

On the other hand, $160 for a one gallon setup isn't bad when you order it online and it gets delivered to your door. Legwork costs money too. I didn't realize it was that cheap, I never really looked too heavily into it.

5. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

if you order it right from the HRF site, they stick you with a $90 UPS charge....so keep that in mind as well. I was gonna go with the copper pearl as well...but for $20 more I can get it locally, and perhaps change the color a little more to what I desire

6. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

so what are the additives that you add to the enamel to make it flat?

7. BigChief

BigChief

Flattening agent.

8. PurplePearl50

PurplePearl50
    from Sedalia,Mo

Dupont 2306S? 4531S? 18321S? i dont know they differances

9. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

In OMNI its M148 and in PPG its DX685 and DX995.

10. pacemaker

pacemaker

This is the metallic flat black. it's got a little glow to it. i like it

Attached Files:

11. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

Hey man, no need to clear the single stage. As for as temps go seems to me as close to 70 as you can get the better the results. I think most the medium stuff is designed around 70 degrees. love the copper pearl color!

12. FORDOLE500

FORDOLE500

Ive been doing custom paint for a long time and I had to shoot that stuff for a friend of mine on his 54 chev. That stuff sprays like shit it powders up as you are spraying just like pcl primer.

13. gasserjoe

gasserjoe
    from indiana

just my 2 cents worth, Ive painted three cars 54 ford truck/47 ford car/61 plymouth, all with "majestic " brand paint its a matte finish very easy to care for, (windex and cloth diapers work great, 54/61 have been painted for at least 4 years with no fadeing, paint is enamel based and is very durable and easy to touch up if needed, also didnt use any hardner only reduser in paint, takes longer to dry but has no shinney spots that hardner would leave, plus price is great( about 40.00 bucks with reduser) hope this helps , joe

14. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

the flat paint is a style. thats why. it has nothing to do with being eaisier to do or anything it's how you want it to look. on my little 86 going to do single stage white,i can do base clear coat, but it's going to be driven, and it's a lot eaisier to fix chips etc in single stage. i would like to do the flat but have already bought my paint and i'm not getting rid of 400 bucks worth of paint and everything that goes with it. i spent years fixing the bodywork on this car too,i just want to be able to enjoy driving it when done,not worrying about the paint.

15. skincat

skincat
    from kokomo, in

i used the hot rod flatz on a bike of mine. it was blood red. all i can say it what everybody has told me is that it is all about the prep. as far as the paint is concerned, it really wasn't flat at all. it is more of a satin finish. which is easier to clean in my opinion. just don't get gas on it though.

16. the SCROUNGER

the SCROUNGER
    from USA

this is exactly the paint that fucked my health up now for the past 11 days. it's a true urethane with HDI isocyanate hardener.

notice: this paint should only be used with a high end downdraft spray booth with water in the floor, a complete space suit, and supplied fresh air respirator- it is highly toxic shit as bad as the old Imron, if you paint it with a dust mask you'll die- if you paint it with a new charcoal mask, you'll get really sick like I am now- it will give you serious health issues

the mfrs. and vendors of this paint, do not have sufficient warnings on the label- 3M is telling rodders you can just use their OV charcoal mask, and break the job into parts- none of that is safe enough- I followed their advice to the T, and ended up in the ER of the hospital 4 days after spraying it

just say "no" to Hot Rod Flatz- or only let a professional equipped shop spray it for you

if you want to spray it yourself, use lacquer, sythetic enamel, or acrylic enamel- with no hardeners- and store the car in a garage, and wax it so the car so the sun doesn't chalk it up with UV

urethane is an IQ test, if you shoot it at home, you flunked- it's as dangerous to your health as uranium

17. sdbcivic

sdbcivic
    from West Ga.

I love this one dont know the specs but its in the falcons done right thread and they say its kevins car?????

Attached Files:

18. Spike!

Spike!

As the photographer of both of those cars..Uhhh...No tricks were used either in the camera (NO POLORIZER) or in photoshop. They were actually shot on FILM..not digital and were not enhanced. Yes, that is the most flattering light there is...expensive strobes through expensive soft boxes and a ton of metering to get the light right, but at low natural ambient light, that's how the paint glows, its just tough to capture it on film. Clark has his ways, I have mine. Go back to your corner and learn some more.

Spike

19. I painted my truck almost 3 years ago with John Deere semi gloss black(not blitz black) mixed with a flattener at the ratio of 1 gallon of PAINT and 1 quart of flattener. It has held up great and the clean up is simple. I just use a wipe and shine product and the job is done. I prepped the body just like you would do for any paint job and went from there. This is a single stage deal and there is no clear required. Doesn't get much simpler than that.
    Later
    Dick:):)

20. I forgot to mention that the John Deere paint is only like $20 a gallon.
    Later,
    Dick

21. Calavera

Calavera

Did anyone mix up 2 colors of HRF already ? I was gonna try to mix up the copper pearl and old gold together, don't know if the pearl will blend in the gold and what color will come out..?

The copper's a little to red for my taste and the gold a bit to pale (as what I can tell from a computer-screen ???) so I wanna mix up a custom color, guess there are enough copper shoeboxes already...

A professional painter is goin' to paint my shoebox in the next few weeks and I'm supplying him the paint, wich will be HRF...

Read all the stories, pro's and con's, but ordering paint here in the Netherlands is waaaay more expensive then buying one of these HRF kits,

so if anyone mixed them up before please lemme know, curious to know what happened...

thanx

22. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I have never done it. That being said, the following is purely speculation.

Now that my disclaimer is out of the way, I shall begin.

From what I understand, HRF is merely OMNI MTK single stage with the flattener factory packed in. They add the flattener, re-label and push it out the door with a hip name. If that is true, mixing between 2 different single stage colors would be OK. MTK's tech sheet says that it is able to be tinted within the AU line. I think your best bet is to try it in small portions first.

Hope this helps, good luck.

23. roosters hot rods

roosters hot rods

i painted my coupe almost two yrs ago// it still looks as good as the day i sprayed it...and i drive it almost every day....good stuff

Attached Files:

24. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

If you are looking for a flat black. My buddy painted his 63 1/2 ton chev with this hot rod black box kit. It has a spider web on the box. Looks really nice. If someone knows what i'm talkin about send a link for him. He has been drivin his for a year and it looks like he just sprayed it.

25. Bluedscrewed&tattooed

Bluedscrewed&tattooed
    from AUSTIN,TX

I used the Old gold metalic, on my truck, sprayed dry and the metalic ran and modeled and we could not match the bed to the cab, used 2.5 gallons on a truck (just the bottom not the top of cab) and it kinda looked like mustard.
    So then we resprayed it with PPG DBU and DRR reducer, looked a lot better.
    Just my experience.

Attached Files:

26. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

these are all flat using dupont paint with a lil hardner in the base coat

Attached Files:

27. Crafty B

Crafty B

I tried to paint this car at least 5 different times with purple passion pearl Hot Rod Flatz and I counld not get the tiger strips out of it, I talked to the company and they did send me another 1 gal kit after I sent these pic's but I needed up with the same finish...and yes I had the right tip on a brand new 200.00 gun...right outside temp... slow reducer..heck I even watched the dvd they sent along with the free gal. I had my buddy and fellow club member John Kouw of Kouw Customs spray it the last time with..of course the same results so beware if you are thinking of using the pearl you may end up with this. John and I gave up with the HRF paint and used Sherwin Williams base with matte clear and the trick for the clear is 4 parts matte clear... 1 part gloss clear.. 1 part hardener and the sheen is perfect ..the gold color is the SW paint. I have a thread on this if you want to read more.

Crafty

Attached Files:

28. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i have used it & like it . im not a painter , but it is ez to use with good results . one thing , it is thin . be sure you follow instructions . tack coat , wait , cover coat . if you get it heavy it will run !! my car is "burgendy pearl" . i love it . gonna do the fenders when it quits raining in "metalic black" flatz . it is a lite metalic as the pearl is a lite pearl . the best thing is it is real paint , not a primer . it has a flattner in it , so it seals , wont fade & chalk up . had mine on for like maybe 2 yrs or a little more . my car is a DAILY driver . another great thing is : NO waxing . just wash - let dry . your done !!! ........................ steve

29. ardyboy

ardyboy

bought a quart in a complete paint kit on Ebay for $39.

Attached Files:

30. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

I used the carnival red semigloss pearl. It was a little too flat. I resprayed it after mixing in a quart of carnival red gloss into a gallon of semi gloss. I was pleased with the results.